Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: oil consumption at 90k miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I heard there's someone on here that's maintained a fleet of Mirages, runs 0w20 in all of them. Out of about 30+ cars 2 use oil, one with over 444k km and the other with around 1/2 that. A lot has changed in 40 years.
    A home run scored for 0W-20!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . But what are the driving conditions and environmental conditions? Yes, 300K miles is impressive but how was it driven? What are the oil consumption rates for each of these vehicles? There isn't enough information here to form any conclusions.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Mark,
    . . . . But what are the driving conditions and environmental conditions? Yes, 300K miles is impressive but how was it driven? What are the oil consumption rates for each of these vehicles? There isn't enough information here to form any conclusions.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    I am just joking with Fummins. I have no conclusions. Fummin's fleet of delivery cars in Canada probably work pretty hard. His sharing helped confirm these are tough little cars before I bought one.

I don't think the type of oil matters. Good filters & change at decent interval is more important probably.

I didn't start this thread. I can only speculate like everyone else on why some engines are burning more oil than others. Adding a small amount at times is not horrible either.

300000km of 99% highway miles then car was used mainly in the city for the last 144444 kms. It's a company owned and maintained delivery car in Central Alberta. The other one has seen mainly city miles. But the 26 cars with a combined 5458000kms and only 2 cars seem to use a little oil. That's not including 5-6 wrecks over the last 5 years.

I can post the years and mileage of all the cars I maintain later if I don't get too fall down drunk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I see and I agree. I do. I wouldn't put Pennsoil or Valovine in my engine except in an emerency. It will be interesting to see if my oil consumption goes down after 10 or 15K miles on conventional oil. I agree with the observations and I agree that 5K miles to the quart is not that big a deal.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins,
    . . . . What brand oil are you running in these? The couple of cars that are using some oil how many KM or Miles are they getting per quart or 4 liters?
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put brown oil in my car.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    300000km of 99% highway miles then car was used mainly in the city for the last 144444 kms. It's a company owned and maintained delivery car in Central Alberta. The other one has seen mainly city miles. But the 26 cars with a combined 5458000kms and only 2 cars seem to use a little oil. That's not including 5-6 wrecks over the last 5 years.

I can post the years and mileage of all the cars I maintain later if I don't get too fall down drunk.
    Your fleet is a good testament to the durability of these cars. I don't think anyone should question that. In all honesty, my Mirage is not my first Mitsubishi product. A Plymouth Colt DL wagon served my young family very well for many, many years. It was passed on to my former brother-in-law, & it served their family well for a few more years beyond that. Everything in that car was Mitsubishi. I have an overall very good opinion of Mitsubishi products, but I also have very low opinion of their dealership network in my area. I hope that improves over time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plym...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I don't think anyone needs to get worked up over this. Not saying your are doing that either! I would just drink another beer if I were you.

I see nothing wrong with someone in Canada using 0W-20 year round. Likewise, I wouldn't overly question someone like Steve who lives in Louisiana (southern US) using 5W-30. Quite frankly, both grades would probably be fine if switched in both places. I am not convinced it really matters.

I know 0W-20 is recommended in North America. It would be interesting to find out why that is not the case in other places like the UK? What are the odds of finding the person who writes Mitsubishi owner's manuals for various parts of the world?

I have reached some conclusions. I don't think a bad 0W-20 oil exist. I also wouldn't stick my neck out and say any one brand is particularly way better than another. From the research I have seen, a cheaper oil like SuperTech may be just as good even better than some of the major brands. A brand I didn't care for 30 years ago, may be one of the better brands today. Things do change.

Even conventional oils have improved over time. The cost of a 5-quart jug of SuperTech conventional oil is $13.68. That same size jug of SuperTech synthetic is $14.88. That's a difference of only $1.20 for 5-quarts. What's slapping a brand name on a jug of oil worth in extra cost? A person needs to decide that for themselves.

Personally, I think your fleet has done quite well, because it's being maintained well. My hat goes off to you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Steve,
    . . . . LOL! The oil that I use is clear until it has about 7.5K miles on it.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Mark,
    . . . . I see and I agree. I do. I wouldn't put Pennsoil or Valovine in my engine except in an emerency. It will be interesting to see if my oil consumption goes down after 10 or 15K miles on conventional oil. I agree with the observations and I agree that 5K miles to the quart is not that big a deal.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    I was never a fan of Pennzoil myself. That goes back to my days of being influenced by my Dad, who was a big time Quaker State man. I am not a brand loyalty guy like my Dad.

From some of the research I have seen, I would say Pennzoil Ultra Platinum may be one the best synthetic oil on the market today. Thus, I am not going to knock any oil brand.

Prior to owning 0W-20 vehicles, 80% of my oil purchases were SuperTech. Something like my Honda ATV gets a special Honda oil made for their engine/transmission combinations. My ATV is 35 years old. It's used hard. It's only 250cc, & I plow all my snow with it. It's very hilly on my property. My machine works pretty hard year round. I don't replace it, because it won't die. I may have just jinxed it by saying that. I bought it used in 2002. It was 17 years old then. 18 years later, it's never been in a shop for repairs for me. I wish all my stuff was that durable!