Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: oil consumption at 90k miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Steve,
    . . . . LOL! The oil that I use is clear until it has about 7.5K miles on it.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Keep in mind Rich - Steve has about 280,000 more miles on his Mirage than you!

Brown oil has served him very well!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I became convinced that Pennzoil was no good when I opened up an engine that had been run on Pennzoil 10-30 from the first oil change on. It had 30K miles on it and it was so full of sludge that I had to pry the oil pan and valve covers off of it. The oil and filter had been changed every 3K miles. Everything that moved in this engine was worn out. I had to take the cylinders to 0.040 over to get rid of the taper and the ridge. The crank had to be taken to 0.020 under. The camshaft had several cams that were worn completely down. If the oil hadn't been changed I could understand this level of wear but this engine should never have looked like this. My RX-3 started on GTX 20-50 and even parts with 500K miles had no wear. I changed the oil every 3K miles on that engine. When I went to Syntex I started changing the oil every 5K miles. My 323 at 250K miles had no cylinder wear. It had been run on GTX 10-40 in the winter and 20-50 in the summer and switched to Syntex at 30K miles. 3K changes on the GTX and then 5K miles on the Syntex. Just my observations as a Pro.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I put brown oil in my car.
    I like the way you think!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)