Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about buying a mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 905mirage View Post
    Everyone above pretty much hit the nail on the head. As a commuter car its is fantastic. My wife commutes almost the same as you. She went from $240/month in gas (previous car) to under $100/month in the mirage! Off the line the 3cyl is a little rough and you won't win any stop light battles, that's for sure! But it does get there no problem and once up to speed the engine smooths out nicely and maintains speed with no issues. A lot of the Youtube experts say it struggles to keep up or pass traffic but we haven't found that to be the case at all!

A left over 2019 will save you lots of money over a new one. We picked up a left over 2019 ES with the CVT and they come nicely equipped. Good luck on your car shopping. Keep us posted with what you decide on!
    I'd like to make a minor correction here: My 2017 ES CVT easily pulls away from other cars at stoplights, but you need to either mash the pedal to 80%+ throttle, or put it in "Ds" (sport?) and give about 50% throttle. The trade-off is it revs to 4-5k rpm, so your gas mileage will take a considerable hit if you do it at every stop, and you have to put it back in "D" or you'll be cruising around at 4k RPM all the time (the car also slows down much faster with your foot off the pedal in "Ds"). I usually only do it when I'm front of the line with someone behind me.

That said, I make around 42mpg (indicated) on my ~18 mile trip to work, 60/40 hwy/city. Probably closer to 46mpg on the interstate going 70-75mph for at least half that trip. Take the back roads at night, and still get around 42, but the speed limit is 55 and lights are farther apart than say Houston.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    no need to Think just get one you will love it

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really like my Mirage, and I don't worry about the power. My only issue is the driver's seat comfort.

Make no mistake, this is a quirky little car. There's a few little things that are kind of odd, but it also adds to the character of the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’ve had my Mirage for 5 1/2 years now (bought new) and have only had to bring it to the dealer once for the airbag light under warranty. Just regular maintenance done and that’s it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    I’ve had my Mirage for 5 1/2 years now (bought new) and have only had to bring it to the dealer once for the airbag light under warranty. Just regular maintenance done and that’s it!
    What ed100 has just shared is a very common theme for the Mirage. Plus, the 2017+ Mirages have had some very slight improvements made.

A highly discounted new Mirage or slightly used one is hard to beat for affordable, reliable, & economical transportation. Great traits for a commuter car!