Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping non touchscreen radio with stock touch screen

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Swapping non touchscreen radio with stock touch screen

I bought a 2014 mirage a few months back with only 10k miles. It was stock without the touchscreen radio. No back up camera obviously. It’s essentially a brand new car but I want to update the radio and keep everything “Stock”.
    I bought a 2017 mitsubishi touchscreen to put in it. The 2017 radio actually came with one plug on the harness that fit one of the plugs on my car from the original radio. So I was able to turn on the radio Bluetooth it too my phone and stream music from my phone as well. But the ApplePlay didn’t work when tethered to my phone. It was grayed out.

I wish I could post a picture of what I’m talking about but I’m being as descriptive as I can.

Has anyone tried doing this? If so, what did you do to make the radio fully would minus the backup camera?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mavowar For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavowar View Post
    I bought a 2014 mirage a few months back with only 10k miles. It was stock without the touchscreen radio. No back up camera obviously. It’s essentially a brand new car but I want to update the radio and keep everything “Stock”.
    I bought a 2017 mitsubishi touchscreen to put in it. The 2017 radio actually came with one plug on the harness that fit one of the plugs on my car from the original radio. So I was able to turn on the radio Bluetooth it too my phone and stream music from my phone as well. But the ApplePlay didn’t work when tethered to my phone. It was grayed out.

I wish I could post a picture of what I’m talking about but I’m being as descriptive as I can.

Has anyone tried doing this? If so, what did you do to make the radio fully would minus the backup camera?
    Hello Mavowar and welcome to the forum.

We've had some forum members do radio swaps. Have a cup of coffee as I'm sure they'll get back to you soon with their input.

Thanks for joining, and be sure to let us know what fixes this for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you have an ES or DE? If it's a DE did it have the add on Bluetooth module installed?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My Mirage has an additional plug wire that was black taped to the harness

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Do you have an ES or DE? If it's a DE did it have the add on Bluetooth module installed?
    My car is bluetooth Ed but it had an additional plug wire that was black taped to the radio wiring harness. I’m guessing that’s the additional bluetooth wiring

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put the apple carplay unit into a 15 DE that did not have the dealer added bluetooth. I haven't taken apart my 15 ES to see what needs to be done since the voice recognition thing in there already is good enough for me for now.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavowar View Post
    But the ApplePlay didn’t work when tethered to my phone. It was grayed out.

Thought of trying it a few times.

I wouldn't "swap" radios as much as purchase a brand new stereo with touch screen, and install it myself. I wouldn't go to the dealers. But a brand new stereo will be easier to sync to your phone anyways, Apple, Google, whatever. Bluetooth should be universal through and through.

I was thinking of upgrading my 2014 Mirage's base stereo, no screen except has a pixely orange screen that looks like it's from the 1980s IBM clone desktop computers with 1 colour, and 1 game chess. Anyways you had the same one obviously.

I would buy a brand new part to save headaches and has everything to go with the cables. Try that mitsubishinow.com part site, people on here have used it, they have bumpers, everything. I wonder about the colour matching and year, but who knows. The Mirage has had many colours and some discontinued, and I never bought a paint stick. I should've.

For me, just having the USB drive in every Mirage makes my stereo experience a huge upgrade. From 2 tapes in my car to every itunes song and every cd ripped, making thousands of songs available to play.

Before 2014 I had 2 tapes in my car, weezer's blue album, and the beach boys greatest hits tape my friend found at the auto wreckers back in 2010 or so.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-15-2020 at 09:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was hoping to keep everything stock. I’m not a big fan of aftermarket stereo’s in my cars. Probably because I’ve had stereo’s stolen in the past.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll keep looking for a remedy.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Keep it stock, just buy a new OEM stereo, not a used one out of a used Mirage. Then you start fresh with an original stereo's 1st phone when you plug in your phone.

That way any wire differences are accounted for, because you can be specific with what you're buying.

Anyways just a thought. Best of luck with your stereo, and I hope you're liking your Mirage overall.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Junkyard swaps have been done successfully. Just need to get the right bits, mostly the right harness adapters.

Sorry I can't be much help, I haven't done one myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’ve actually hit the two auto wreckers (“you pull it” is one) and SURPRISINGLY there are no Mirages in either. Found that to be surprising.
    Yet there were at least 7 Mini Coopers, some without any damage to the car. Our local BMW lot had the Mirage in their used car lot. Probably since the car was still in brand new shape.
    So trading them my POS Mini Cooper was poetic. 😃
    I would never recommend anyone from buying one of those. That’s a whole topic in itself.

Thanks for all the responses.