Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Today's total world deaths: 999,273

World population: 7,800,000,000

Percent of world population killed by Covid-19 as of today = 0.013%

No matter what your opinion on the 'Rona, we still have a ways to go to get to 1%. I hope we get nowhere close.
    This ^^^
    And if the numbers double by next summer or newly discovered issues associated with Covid19 exposure we got a serious national health crises. I think we can all agree this pandemic has exposed serious flaws in American quarrantine protocol. God help us when something stronger hits.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    This little bug in no more deadly than the flu to people under 75. Its only slightly worse for elderly and actually not as bad as the flu for people under 30.
    I find it extremely hard to believe your grocery stores are not fully stocked. All is normal over here in WI grocery stores lmao
    Sadly that's wrong on a few counts, mainly for a few reasons:

First, no one has antibodies for COVID-19, nor does it look like COVID-19 creates any lasting antibodies once you've been infected: compare that to people who get a yearly flu vaccine usually have at least over 50-75% efficacy (depending on the year), which then goes on to have a protective effect and slows down the spread in a general population, aka 'Herd Immunity'.

COVID-19 isn't exponentially more dangerous, the main issue is that it can spread very, very quickly (no immunity) and overwhelm the healthcare system with complications, which then in turn causes much higher fatalities than it ought to.

Why i'm explaining this to a complete stranger on a car forum from the country in the world with 2nd highest per capita rates of COVID-19 (but also one of the wealthiest and most powerful) I have no idea.

2020 has been a wild ride.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 09-29-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  33.3 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post

Why i'm explaining this to a complete stranger on a car forum from the country in the world with 2nd highest per capita rates of COVID-19 (but also one of the wealthiest and most powerful) I have no idea.

Be careful, some folks will start calling you a know it all "Karen' because they can't think beyond caricatures and stereotypes.

Maybe that's why the virus is so successful in the USA? Time to re read Anti-Intellectualism in American life.

Sorry Dirk that wasn't directed at you, we posted simultaneously.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-29-2020)

I guess it depends on where you get your info from. Numbers are different on every site I look at. Can't be too smug without doing some figuring...Your odds of dying of covid aren't any better than the the average American. But you guys apparently only have one active case so hopefully it stays that way!

Maybe my math is off but it if you take all the confirmed cases in the US-7,372,381 and 210,000 deaths that to me means 2.84% of Americans that had confirmed cases of covid died.

In Canada 156,655 confirmed cases and 9289 deaths means 5.929% of Canadians that had confirmed cases of covid died.

In Nova Scotia 1087 confirmed cases and 65 deaths 5.979% Alberta shows 17749 confirmed and 265 deaths 1.49% of people that had covid in Alberta died.

I'm not looking to belittle anyone or make fun of their grammar. Nobody knows wtf is going on, obviously and posting incorrect or outdated figures doesn't help.

I looked up on the worldometers, the US ranks number 12 in the world for total covid 19 cases per 1million population. But they do have the number one spot for the most active cases right now with over 2.5 million active cases.

Whether you think you should worry or not depends on how you look at things. Everyone is tired of reading or hearing about it by now but here we are lol.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Maybe that's why the virus is so successful in the USA? Time to re read Anti-Intellectualism in American life.
    One of the reasons why I think it's so high is because people think the mask is actually "taking away their freedom". Masks got politicalized and then people started to not have trust with science. I would also blame mainstream media here in the USA too. Fear makes people think differently. People don't use facts, they eat what is easiest for them to understand.

I was picking up food at a restaurant/bar, 4 people sat at the bar. No masks. No drinks. No food. They were just sitting and chatting. They were obviously not from the same household and they were just talking about how "it's just like the flu". It boggles my mind that it's not just that simple and they're telling each other that. Literally like saying a Toyota Camry is just like a Mirage because it has 4 wheels.

Personally, I haven't met a crazy Kyle/Karen yet. I hope they just don't do anything crazy from like what we've seen on social media about "taking their freedoms away" because of a simple mask. (sighs).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-29-2020),dspace9 (09-29-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The same thing is happening here, just to a lesser extent. It's too bad though, because I think half the problem is a cultural one. The old saying from ancient Greece is "your freedom ends, where another's begins" - their idea of freedom is trample on others. More monster truck domination-type of freedom. Basically bullying is this virus' BFF.

There is more stupidity than blades of grass in this world.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    Sadly that's wrong on a few counts, mainly for a few reasons:

First, no one has antibodies for COVID-19, nor does it look like COVID-19 creates any lasting antibodies once you've been infected: compare that to people who get a yearly flu vaccine usually have at least over 50-75% efficacy (depending on the year), which then goes on to have a protective effect and slows down the spread in a general population, aka 'Herd Immunity'.

COVID-19 isn't exponentially more dangerous, the main issue is that it can spread very, very quickly (no immunity) and overwhelm the healthcare system with complications, which then in turn causes much higher fatalities than it ought to.

Pryme was citing the latest CDC data. I'm assuming you reviewed it before stating it was wrong?

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ne...y-surprise-you

And then there's this discovery that the virus has mutated, making it more transmissible but less deadly. But it's from an expert in Singapore, not a car forum, so take it with a grain of salt. Or a blade of grass.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...ly-expert-says
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 09-29-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Be careful, some folks will start calling you a know it all "Karen' because they can't think beyond caricatures and stereotypes.

Sorry Dirk that wasn't directed at you, we posted simultaneously.
    No worries lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    This guy has it all figured out - no need for argument:

Be sure to check out his channel for more inspirational & motivational speeches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-29-2020),Fummins (09-29-2020),inuvik (09-29-2020),MetroMPG (09-30-2020),poorman1 (10-02-2020)