Name:  1_zcBnwPfoNzzQs_fUVNHAjg.jpeg.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  73.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The second story has some validity but the first one is very off. The numbers for the flu can vary from 20ish thousand to some reports (oddly hard to find now via google) 80k a year for the flu.....and that's with many years of experience in handling the seasonal flu and with a yearly flu shot!

Check the numbers when it pertains to children. The seasonal flu is actually more deadly some years, hitting up to 140-150 deaths a year.

Here is Wisconsin there has not been a single person aged 0-19 that has died of the Corona virus.

This really isn't a debate. The masks the majority of ppl wear, in the manner they are wearing them simple will not help in protecting them from a virus!

The only study I've read that was worth a darn said if worn and fitted properly, your typical mask could help from 2-3% over no mask. Most are not fitted properly and if worn over facial hair, forget it.

Any spray that lands on your mask will set in and zip right through it, ensuring the possibility of receiving a larger viral load than if someone caught a passing "whiff" of the virus.
    Prior to the mask update in Wisconsin, my rural county was at 40 some cases. It was 41 cases for a long time. Despite the mask mandate in public places now, our count has climbed to 606 cases in the past month or so.

Would things be way worst without the masks? I don't know? I don't mind wearing a mask if it keeps businesses open & wearing a mask has allowed me to keep driving with my student drivers.

Our school district went back to virtual school until January 10th now. I retired from teaching last spring. I don't miss it. Schools struggle when teachers are sick or quarantined. Subs are hard to come by. A quarantined teacher can pull off virtual school from home.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Name:  1_zcBnwPfoNzzQs_fUVNHAjg.jpeg.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  73.9 KB
    Gotta love that one!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They would also laugh anyone out of the room that didn't take Covid19 seriously or thought it was a political strategy to scare up votes.
    An attempt to deflect from the scientific reality of filtration media, and a poor one at that. This forum will debate to the nth degree which oil filter works best based on mail in oil analysis. The dire urgency to change all cvt filters and fluid once a week to make the transmission last as long as your car payments, or whether an oem air filter works better than a fram, based on the mass air flow sensor and the filtration paper density (or lack thereof of). But when it comes to filtering the covid virus, any old piece of fabric will do...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-10-2020),Pryme (11-10-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    So lets just go back to the status quo and not worry about it? Ignore CDC guidelines because it inconveniences "muh freedoms"? Its only the elderly in LTCs so not a big deal? Your a medical professional for Christ sakes.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Data published this week from the Kaiser Family Foundation shows that nursing homes account for more than 40% of all COVID-19 deaths. The foundation also found that there were more deaths at nursing homes with Black and Latino residents - CBS news. I think a lot of this cavalier attitude about this pandemic is because of what demographics are disproportionately affected by it, sadly. I invite anyone to go to a LTC facility or talk to someone with a mother or father in one and see how it is for them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Data published this week from the Kaiser Family Foundation shows that nursing homes account for more than 40% of all COVID-19 deaths. The foundation also found that there were more deaths at nursing homes with Black and Latino residents - CBS news. I think a lot of this cavalier attitude about this pandemic is because of what demographics are disproportionately affected by it, sadly. I invite anyone to go to a LTC facility or talk to someone with a mother or father in one and see how it is for them.
    I actually heard a story with an elderly woman stuck in the nursing home that said she would rather take her chances with covid than not see her loved ones. I would feel the same honestly. Let's be honest, people living in nursing homes are typically in their final months, years of life regardless of covid or not. I'm sure plenty would feel the same as this woman.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is Wisconsin there has not been a single person aged 0-19 that has died of the Corona virus.

This really isn't a debate. The masks the majority of ppl wear, in the manner they are wearing them simple will not help in protecting them from a virus!

The only study I've read that was worth a darn said if worn and fitted properly, your typical mask could help from 2-3% over no mask. Most are not fitted properly and if worn over facial hair, forget it.

Any spray that lands on your mask will set in and zip right through it, ensuring the possibility of receiving a larger viral load than if someone caught a passing "whiff" of the virus.
    Does it depend 'how much' of COVID you get? For example, if you're talking to a relative that has covid (but shows no symptoms yet) and you spend 3-4 hours with them (at a party), you can catch COVID that way. In that situation, I don't even think a mask would work, especially if your inside, right? But a mask would help but I don't think it would 100% defend yourself from it. Just like how we'll always see some sort of sand/dirt/dust inside the plastic intake plenum lol

As for the 'spray that lands on your mask', I believe that's why places "enforce" social distancing too. but then again, when i was at Car Shows earlier this year, no one was practicing it haha.

As someone said earlier in the thread, having masks and practicing social distancing helps to prevent people from getting sick from COVID because Hospitals have limited space for those that need attention from COVID. So, if 80% of the population gets severely sick from COVID, hospitals won't be able to do what they can.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6940e3.htm
    "The number of COVID-19 cases stabilized and began to decrease approximately 2 weeks after local officials began mandating mask wearing (throughout several counties and cities) and enhanced sanitation practices. Additional declines in case counts were associated with implementation of statewide limitations and closures sustained throughout July and extended into August."

Masks work. But like you said too, if someone(who is infected with COVID) is wearing it wrong, who ever is near that person in an enclosed area, game over. Hopefully the odds are with you and you don't get too sick from COVID.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    Does it depend 'how much' of COVID you get? For example, if you're talking to a relative that has covid (but shows no symptoms yet) and you spend 3-4 hours with them (at a party), you can catch COVID that way. In that situation, I don't even think a mask would work, especially if your inside, right? But a mask would help but I don't think it would 100% defend yourself from it. Just like how we'll always see some sort of sand/dirt/dust inside the plastic intake plenum lol

As for the 'spray that lands on your mask', I believe that's why places "enforce" social distancing too. but then again, when i was at Car Shows earlier this year, no one was practicing it haha.

As someone said earlier in the thread, having masks and practicing social distancing helps to prevent people from getting sick from COVID because Hospitals have limited space for those that need attention from COVID. So, if 80% of the population gets severely sick from COVID, hospitals won't be able to do what they can.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6940e3.htm
    "The number of COVID-19 cases stabilized and began to decrease approximately 2 weeks after local officials began mandating mask wearing (throughout several counties and cities) and enhanced sanitation practices. Additional declines in case counts were associated with implementation of statewide limitations and closures sustained throughout July and extended into August."

Masks work. But like you said too, if someone(who is infected with COVID) is wearing it wrong, who ever is near that person in an enclosed area, game over. Hopefully the odds are with you and you don't get too sick from COVID.
    The media always loves to report how hospitals are "near capacity " but what you never hear is what percentage of those people are in there with covid?

Here in the "hot spot of the country" Wisconsin, the number is roughly 6%. Yes, 6% of hospital patients are there for covid. That number is 10% in Milwaukee.

Does everyone remember hearing about that huge field hospital they erected at the Wisconsin fair grounds to handle "all the covid overflow "??

Let me provide you with the link which tracks that field hospital. It's right on the dept of Health's WI website. Remember, this hospital was built to handle up to 1,000 patients. It was big national news. With all these positives you would imagine that hospital would be full right?

Anyone wanna take a stab at the current patient count?

Four. FOUR.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-...e-facility.htm

No wonder you don't hear about it on the news anymore.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The media always loves to report how hospitals are "near capacity " but what you never hear is what percentage of those people are in there with covid?

Here in the "hot spot of the country" Wisconsin, the number is roughly 6%. Yes, 6% of hospital patients are there for covid. That number is 10% in Milwaukee.

Does everyone remember hearing about that huge field hospital they erected at the Wisconsin fair grounds to handle "all the covid overflow "??

Let me provide you with the link which tracks that field hospital. It's right on the dept of Health's WI website. Remember, this hospital was built to handle up to 1,000 patients. It was big national news. With all these positives you would imagine that hospital would be full right?

Anyone wanna take a stab at the current patient count?

Four. FOUR.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-...e-facility.htm

No wonder you don't hear about it on the news anymore.
    Seems like the masks mandates are helping then. Especially if there aren't a lot of people getting too sick. I wonder what made the officials in Wisc panic to make a field hospital that size. Were they expecting to have that many people get severely sick from it? That's insane. I remember seeing a headline about it a while back but totally forgot about it.

Right now, the MN Governor said he wants to do lockdowns on targeted spots where customers can spread COVID19. So, bars and restaurants might get closed down. Which suuuucks because I know a few friends and family members that are bar/restaurant owners and this would definitely devastate them. Now, where's that 2nd stimulus check at? lol

Here's where MN is at:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)