Page 36 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Speaking of media, I found this great story of a clever way to detect and stop this disease from spreading:

University of Arizona wastewater testing finds virus at dorm, prevents outbreak

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Republic | 5:24 p.m. MT Aug. 27, 2020
    University of Arizona wastewater testing finds virus at dorm, prevents outbreak
    Paulina Pineda
    Rachel Leingang

The University of Arizona found early signs of COVID-19 in a student dorm this week by testing wastewater and were able to head off an outbreak there, school leaders announced Thursday.

Researchers at the school have looked for traces of the virus in wastewater samples taken from the greater Tucson area since March and have gathered samples from 20 buildings on the UA campus since school started.

Earlier this week, data collected from the dorms found higher viral loads in wastewater samples taken from Likins Hall. A team led by Dr. Ian Pepper, director of the UA's Water and Energy Sustainable Technology Center, tested the samples five more times to confirm the findings, said UA President Dr. Robert Robbins.

The university on Wednesday tested the entire dorm, about 311 people, and found two positive cases, Robbins said.

The two individuals, who were asymptomatic, are now in isolation, preventing further spread in Likins Hall.

Wastewater testing gives more data

UA required students living on campus to get tested for COVID-19 before returning to the dorms. Both positive individuals would have been tested, and would have had negative results prior to moving into the dorms, per UA's protocols.

Off-campus students were strongly encouraged to get tested for COVID-19, and the university also will regularly test random populations on campus.

The wastewater testing provides a way to monitor for potential cases, particularly asymptomatic ones, beyond individual tests for the virus, UA leaders said.

Pepper and his team will regularly collect wastewater samples from buildings on campus, including all dorms, throughout the school year, he told The Republic in July.

The data will help determine a possible outbreak in a specific building or dorm, help the school test students and mitigate the spread of the virus, he said.

Researchers look beyond UA campus

The wastewater analysis is part of a larger effort to study the virus's presence in Tucson's sewage system.

Researchers have detected traces of the virus in untreated wastewater samples taken at the Pima County Wastewater Treatment Plant. They have not detected the virus in treated wastewater.

Genetic material from the virus can shed in the feces of infected patients, whether they are symptomatic or asymptomatic, but little is still known about how much of the virus is shed in stool or how long it is shed, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Pepper's team is now working to develop a model that could help establish the connection between the concentration in the wastewater and the number of people infected in the community.

They hope it could help researchers identify new cases before people are tested, whether transmission levels are improving and detect a possible reemergence of the virus.

Arizona State University researchers are doing similar work in Tempe and city leaders there are using the information to target outreach and testing in areas with where there are high concentrations of the virus in wastewater samples.

Finding the Likins cases shows the value of this method, said Dr. Richard Carmona, the former U.S. Surgeon General who is leading UA’s reentry effort.

“Nobody would have known that otherwise, but with that early detection, we jumped on it right away, tested those youngsters and got them the appropriate isolation where they needed to be,” Carmona said at the press conference. “And you think about if we had missed it, if we had waited until they became symptomatic, and they stayed in that dorm for days, or a week or the whole incubation period, how many other people would have been infected?”

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-08-2020)

That's cool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Did stupid covid make the price of lumber skyrocket? I may be on crack but I'm sure the price for a 2x4 garbage grade stud was around $2 a stick 2 years ago when I re-framed the basement in my old house, now they want $6 wtf over! I was gonna build a wood shed to fill with crap but now I gotta go back to stripping again so I can afford some boards.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Yup! Everybody's building backyard decks and sheds and additions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

The media didn't create it, and we all have to deal with it.
    The Media DIDNT create it, but they sure have done a piss poor job of reporting objectively on it. Par for the course now days, unfortunately.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Pryme (09-09-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    CDC website is very informative, or the NlH, WHO. And please everybody get a new flu shot.

Most relevant post in this whole thread so far

Name:  covid-mirage.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  52.8 KB

(People wait to get tested at a drive through COVID-19 clinic, in Longueuil, Quebec., on Sept. 16, 2020.)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-21-2020),inuvik (09-21-2020),Top_Fuel (09-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Name:  covid-mirage.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  52.8 KB

(People wait to get tested at a drive through COVID-19 clinic, in Longueuil, Quebec., on Sept. 16, 2020.)
    I heard a doctor being interviewed on BNN network this morning, they were saying that the pandemic is basically an alien invasion. We all have to work together.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    As bad as it is, we dodged a big bullet that covid19 is relatively weak compared to other air borne infectious diseases like influenza or SOARS. If we got hit with an agent that had a morbidity rate of 5% for example, societal upheaval would be much more severe than what it is right now, possible long term complications not withstanding.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I heard a doctor being interviewed on BNN network this morning, they were saying that the pandemic is basically an alien invasion. We all have to work together.
    Spanish Flu, Swine Flu, H1N1, Ebola...but THIS is an "alien invasion"? I'll see if we can get Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum to suit up again! And Randy Quaid; never forget the Quaid!