Page 71 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems we have a lot of varying opinions in the forum, which is pretty awesome. Means we're a diverse group.

Serious question here for everyone (over-simplifying everything, but interested to see the consensus, nonetheless):

Given our current understanding of how infectious COVID-19 is, at what death rate (percentage) would you feel a lockdown is justified?

Bonus question: Would stats regarding the number of survivors left with lifelong impacts from the disease influence your opinion?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    This is the part I'm in disagreement with. Whether old man Noah put corona germs into the Arc beside the plague and parasites, that's a debate for another day.
    That was just a take off on Dwight Schrute's idea for hand desanitizing stations ... I think it was. It wasn't fo' real.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Seems we have a lot of varying opinions in the forum, which is pretty awesome. Means we're a diverse group.

Serious question here for everyone (over-simplifying everything, but interested to see the consensus, nonetheless):

Given our current understanding of how infectious COVID-19 is, at what death rate (percentage) would you feel a lockdown is justified?

Bonus question: Would stats regarding the number of survivors left with lifelong impacts from the disease influence your opinion?
    Average age of covid death is at or slightly OLDER than avg age of death in this world. 79ish. And on top of that, it has a high survivability rate for even the 70+ crowd.

If, on the other hand, this virus aggressively attacked the opposite age group, say the 0-18 group, the vast majority of people would be exceptionally worried and locking themselves down.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That was just a take off on Dwight Schrute's idea for hand desanitizing stations ... I think it was. It wasn't fo' real.
    Ha ha okay. Just goes to show, this would likely be a different conversation in real life. Dwight.. everyone has a "Dwight" at work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Seems like the more important stat to watch is hospitalization rate.

The big risk is in overwhelming the healthcare system with Covid patients, because it directly affects people with other healthcare needs through a shortage of resources. Lots of areas are already seeing this (eg. widespread cancellation/postponement of scheduled procedures). Not to mention burnout of healthcare workers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I personally don't think our trusty gobment should even need to force a lockdown. At some level of danger, I would take care of myself and my family and don't need to be led or pushed around in order to take care of myself.

If others don't feel the need to take care of themselves, that problem will take care of itself...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Pryme (12-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still waiting for this massive post Thanksgiving surge the "experts" said was certain. Meanwhile here in WI the decline is strong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Average age of covid death is at or slightly OLDER than avg age of death in this world. 79ish. And on top of that, it has a high survivability rate for even the 70+ crowd.

If, on the other hand, this virus aggressively attacked the opposite age group, say the 0-18 group, the vast majority of people would be exceptionally worried and locking themselves down.
    You are probably right, and that is concerning, in and of itself. That being said, the 70+ crowd can probably be reasonably expected to isolate themselves if they feel they are at risk, as they probably are no longer working and likely not that active to begin with.

Sure sucks to be old, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Seems like the more important stat to watch is hospitalization rate.

The big risk is in overwhelming the healthcare system with Covid patients, because it directly affects people with other healthcare needs through a shortage of resources. Lots of areas are already seeing this (eg. widespread cancellation/postponement of scheduled procedures). Not to mention burnout of healthcare workers.
    Yeah, that's what the whole thing was about when it first started. I would be interested to see hospital fill rates. However, I doubt that's something that gets shared, esp. here in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I personally don't think our trusty gobment should even need to force a lockdown. At some level of danger, I would take care of myself and my family and don't need to be led or pushed around in order to take care of myself.

If others don't feel the need to take care of themselves, that problem will take care of itself...
    I'm not certain you would say the same thing about seatbelts or speed limits, which are restrictions put in place to protect citizens from the consequences of their own actions, as well as the actions of others. What would you say is the difference between that and COVID lockdowns?

My guess is that the real rub is people losing the right to work, and I can understand that. Honestly, with the way that the American economy runs on debt (i.e. nothing is owned, everything is a monthly payment), it is mind-blowing to me that the lockdowns have been going on for 8+ months now. How is a working class person even making ends meet?

I think the goal with the lockdowns was to (1) make it so that things weren't spreading as quickly, but also to (2) stop people from being pressured/forced to work in dangerous environments due to financial stresses or requirements from their employer. Perhaps there would have been better ways to handle goal (2).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You are probably right, and that is concerning, in and of itself. That being said, the 70+ crowd can probably be reasonably expected to isolate themselves if they feel they are at risk, as they probably are no longer working and likely not that active to begin with.

Sure sucks to be old, though.

Yeah, that's what the whole thing was about when it first started. I would be interested to see hospital fill rates. However, I doubt that's something that gets shared, esp. here in the United States.

I'm not certain you would say the same thing about seatbelts or speed limits, which are restrictions put in place to protect citizens from the consequences of their own actions, as well as the actions of others. What would you say is the difference between that and COVID lockdowns?

My guess is that the real rub is people losing the right to work, and I can understand that. Honestly, with the way that the American economy runs on debt (i.e. nothing is owned, everything is a monthly payment), it is mind-blowing to me that the lockdowns have been going on for 8+ months now. How is a working class person even making ends meet?

I think the goal with the lockdowns was to (1) make it so that things weren't spreading as quickly, but also to (2) stop people from being pressured/forced to work in dangerous environments due to financial stresses or requirements from their employer. Perhaps there would have been better ways to handle goal (2).
    Fill rates as in the percentage of covid patients vs others? Its typically 4-10%. The media doesn't report that though, they let weak minds who are unable of independent thought run wild and think it's covid filling up the hospitals. Odd how they are always "nearing capacity " or "just weeks away from being full"

Meanwhile at the massive overflow field hospital here in WI they are treating a mind boggling 6 patients as of today. Oddly enough I never see anything on the news about said field hospital anymore.

If the media isn't providing these facts where do you get your info from? Student written articles that are retracted days later?
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's hard to take people seriously when you call people who disagree with you weak minds who are unable of independent thought. The earth is flat, anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

Edit: with that said, I don't know anyone who has had it or anyone who knows anyone who did either. I too keep hearing about how they're waiting for hospitals to become overwhelmed. But that doesn't seem to be happening here either. Better to error on the side of caution? Who knows. It's dumb and everyone wants it to go away. Just think, by this time next year there might be some other flu going around lol

Last edited by Fummins; 12-07-2020 at 08:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)