Page 67 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not to make light of any death, because every life is precious.

I haven't seen a recent figure, but a figure I saw a time ago stated 6% of the COVID deaths were COVID only deaths. Most deaths (94%) are related to some other pre-existing condition. For example, someone may have had lung cancer, but their death is listed as a COVID death.

COVID is serious. I believe wearing a mask helps in public. If nothing else, I want to be respectful to those who have to work in public places for us (like grocery stores, gas stations, etc....) when wearing a mask.

To say is COVID is the third leading cause of death may be a very misleading statement. CNN is the last place I would get any news information from. I have zero respect for them, & it is because of these type of stories.
    Mark, the National Institute of Health, WHO, CDC, Department of Health and Human services all have accurate data posted if you don't care for the traditional media outlets.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-25-2020)

I heard earlier in the year that if some dies and has covid they automatically just count it as a covid death. So if you have covid and die in a car crash....I don't know if that really happened, maybe??

I think what Mark is getting at is there's a good chance that if someone is dying of lung cancer, or has some other health problem with a grim outcome, if they get covid and die, instead of saying they died of cancer it'll be counted as a covid death. Am I wrong or how would one get that info? Numbers can be posted about anything, if you don't know what they mean they're meaningless. I read about the daily covid deaths and they stated that not all cases are confirmed, some are just probable. Nothing is exact. But nitpicking is fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I heard earlier in the year that if some dies and has covid they automatically just count it as a covid death. So if you have covid and die in a car crash....I don't know if that really happened, maybe??

I think what Mark is getting at is there's a good chance that if someone is dying of lung cancer, or has some other health problem with a grim outcome, if they get covid and die, instead of saying they died of cancer it'll be counted as a covid death. Am I wrong or how would one get that info? Numbers can be posted about anything, if you don't know what they mean they're meaningless. I read about the daily covid deaths and they stated that not all cases are confirmed, some are just probable. Nothing is exact. But nitpicking is fun.
    The problem is a lot of people have pre-existing conditions not as terminal as lung cancer but are still at risk of dying from Covid complications. For example, say a 65 year old man who has a weakened immune system from a previous infection but is recieving treatment. He's doing fine and sees many more years of life ahead. but a shock to he's system like Covid, could kill him.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My sleeve is already rolled up: gimmie the vaccine already!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'd just be careful with blanket-disliking CNN like that. Some facts they say, are just the facts. If CNN starts to say 2+2=5, or the sun rises in the West, then yes... be more critical.

Covid deaths usually fall upon the weakest. I think that's similar to a lot of other illnesses.

But to dislike CNN firstly, seems kinda biased.. before you examine the info. Don't let the messenger be the message. Fox news is likely to have reported the same numbers.

Hope this is all past news soon! Cheers Mark
    CNN is extremely politically bias. I admit that I am bias about things, too. I feel news should be more neutral, but that's not the case with most or all networks. I don't respect any bias new reporting including Fox. I am not impressed with the media these days. If that makes me bias, so be it. I am not debating the number of deaths. People are dying.

I want to repeat. Ever life is precious. It's my understanding that very few people are dying of COVID alone. We may be looking at the same thing differently, & that is OK. Even if I am a very healthy person, I have a responsibility to help keep others safe by doing my part. I am choosing to not visit my elderly parents for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's a 4 hour trip one way that I would normally do. I would rather have my parents around for next year. Thus, I encourage them to be safe & not take unnecessary risks, too!

We are all very tired of COVID, & how it has impacted our lives. I'm sure we can all agree on that!

Happy Thanksgiving to all tomorrow! Belated Happy Thanksgiving (October 11) to our Canadian friends to the north of us, too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-26-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    CNN is extremely politically bias. I admit that I am bias about things, too. I feel news should be more neutral, but that's not the case with most or all networks. I don't respect any bias new reporting including Fox. I am not impressed with the media these days. If that makes me bias, so be it. I am not debating the number of deaths. People are dying.

I want to repeat. Ever life is precious. It's my understanding that very few people are dying of COVID alone. We may be looking at the same thing differently, & that is OK. Even if I am a very healthy person, I have a responsibility to help keep others safe by doing my part. I am choosing to not visit my elderly parents for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's a 4 hour trip one way that I would normally do. I would rather have my parents around for next year. Thus, I encourage them to be safe & not take unnecessary risks, too!

We are all very tired of COVID, & how it has impacted our lives. I'm sure we can all agree on that!

Happy Thanksgiving to all tomorrow! Belated Happy Thanksgiving (October 11) to our Canadian friends to the north of us, too!
    Happy Thanksgiving Mark! Your a good dude.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving Mark! Your a good dude.
    Thanks Dirk! I feel the same about you! We have lots of great guys on this forum. Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Festivus!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    well I'm late to this party.

It just struck me this week that covid might be related to climate change. Just hold on while I ramble.

We've been told that the tipping point for co2 emissions is on us or perhaps we've even left the reservation. I've read and heard that as a species we're unwilling to voluntarily reduce our carbon footprint. Man has always partied till we drop. Let the good times roll.

If covid was engineered to address and try to reduce our co2 production then you must admit it has been effective in many respects. The miles driven metric must be way down. I know my petrol bill is 1/5th to 1/8th of pre covid days. This implies considerable other carbon reduction on my part. If I'm not driving then I'm not attending social/recreational/entertainment functions as I did before..

For example, I used to attend a giant movie megaplex 1-2 times a week. I'd have soda, popcorn, maybe a burger. All of those create co2 and the huge building itself is a co2 factory. Now multiply that by 10,000 people who went there each week. That's an enormous quantity of co2 that wasn't produced.

I no longer attend church. My POW is big, holds 4,000+ and has 3 services on Sunday. A couple thousand cars no longer make that Sunday trek and that trek for many families included side trips for breakfast or a Sunday drive, etc.

There's no longer traffic congestion on my highways. I left the downtown core of Toronto at 4:45pm and drove home to Niagara Falls, never slowing to under 60mph for the 80 mile whole trip. Normally it would be stop 'n go for half the distance till I cleared the city proper. Speaking of Niagara Falls it's been like a ghost town since March. I mean you can fire an automatic weapon on main street without much fear of killing anyone.

TLDR;
    I think there might be a conspiracy and covid was introduced to see if the economy and world can still function if radical restrictions to reduce co2 were suddenly put into place. Why? Because if they didn't introduce it man would soon push the co2 levels past the point of no return and kill us all.

Call me crazy but it's what I see.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 11-26-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I saw a headline this week that said GHG emissions are up this year despite Covid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)