Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

That sucks, Fummins. Sorry to hear it. At least your business has been deemed "essential"... for now?!?

I know a few people who have been laid off as well.

Gonna split the "touch screens suck!" rant to a new thread. It's a good topic.

EDIT - here it is:
    Thread: Touch screens in cars should be illegal

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I know someone who is (was) in the catering business...think weddings, large gatherings, etc. They have already folded the business completely. They can't wait around for 6+ months for things to "get back to normal" so they threw in the towel. I imagine the same thing is going on in similar small businesses.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That sucks, Fummins. Sorry to hear it. At least your business has been deemed "essential"... for now?!?

I know a few people who have been laid off as well.

Gonna split the "touch screens suck!" rant to a new thread. It's a good topic.

EDIT - here it is:
    Thread: Touch screens in cars should be illegal
    Thanks for doing that! It's easy to get off topic in this thread, because coronavirus is impacting lives (regardless of one's health) in many different ways. Whining about features in cars doesn't compare to people losing jobs/income.

The touch screen is a good topic, but it's better to have it in its own thread for sure.

I really feel for those who are being impacted by all this.

Life is a reschedule!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I hope this covid $hit isn't affecting any of you guys, gals and the other 14 genders. My wife just got laid off her job of 12 years so our household income just took a decent sized wet,steaming, triple coiler. Not sure if they'll re hire after this is all over or just close the doors for good. So far my job seems relatively secure but who knows.

On the bright side, with schools and daycares closed, no more paying for child care and gas is dirt cheap!
    Sorry to hear the bad news. I'm one of those fortunate people as well who is considered essential personal because without the bar code printers I support, the medical and grocery supply chains would come to a halt.

Has your wife considered doing in home daycare until this thing blows over? A lot of essential personal have kids that need a place to go during the day until this mess is over with. Of course, that does open up another can of worms since social distancing is pretty important right now. Just a though.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I gotta support the city/parish's fleet of police and firefighters' vehicles, so we are essential, however I would not be surprised if at some point the shifts are reduced to one or two people and others are either put on administrative leave, asked to use sick/annual leave, or civil leave (with pay, usually only given during disasters like severe flooding/hurricane)

I've heard Admin leave thrown out there, which is ridiculous but wouldn't surprise me. I'll be all right, but it'd sure hurt the wallet. :/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

The Mirage's factory in Thailand is still operating, according to this.

Clearly an essential operation.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/what-c...to-coronavirus

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The Mirage's factory in Thailand is still operating...
    Maybe not for long? I was curious about what's going on in Thailand right now and I found this story posted today...

Thailand Declares State of Emergency After Surge in Coronavirus Cases (March 24, 2020)

(BANGKOK) — Thailand’s government agreed Tuesday to declare an emergency to take stricter measures to control the coronavirus outbreak that has infected hundreds of people in the Southeast Asian country.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said his Cabinet agreed to put a one-month state of emergency into effect on Thursday.

The move will give the government enforcement powers not normally available to it. They include implementing curfews, censoring the media, dispersing gatherings and allowing deployment of military forces for enforcement.

Prayuth in a brief televised address urged the public to remain calm and warned people against the improper use of social media and hoarding, saying there would now be stricter enforcement against violators.

Thailand also Tuesday confirmed 106 new cases of infection with the virus that causes COVID-19, bringing the total to 827. Four of the new cases were medical staff. Three deaths were reported, bringing the country’s total to four.

Prayuth’s government had been criticized for failing to take strong action to fight the coronavirus even as the daily increases in cases jumped from single digits in February into the hundreds in the past week.

Source: https://time.com/5808742/thailand-em...y-coronavirus/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I was planning a trip to my parents for Easter and then swap cars when I went home. WI's quarantine is going for an entire month, More time to enjoy Geos... Their county is still free of the plague and I'm not going to be a potential vector of transmission.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm thinking about taking a stash of gloves and masks from the supply room after my shift and selling them on EBay. Just kidding! The head RN on our floor is watching that store room like a hawk, besides I'm not a plague profiteer. AtomicPunk your place on high alert yet?
    Sorry, been busy and haven't had a lot of time to check the forum. Yeah, high alert. We're all getting fitted for N95 respirators ( I bought N95 construction masks 2 months ago, because I saw this coming after Seattle). We've closed all outpatient clinics and brought those staff back to the main VA hospital for staffing. The county where I live has had a nursing home outbreak, so I just assume its everywhere now and take all precautions. Still awaiting the wave to hit, like I'm sure you are in Atlanta. Its going to get bad here in the next month, based on exponential models. Remember, we are about a month behind Italy. Good luck to all on the forum, stay well.

Thanks ya'll! We'll be ok. Wife applied for ei already. No more buying overpriced Kia's. Apparently auto parts and repair is essential so yay...... This crap is spreading all over pretty quickly. Now if only I'd stop snowing......

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)