Page 37 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think the long name for COVID is SARS-Covid 19; SARS being severe acute respiratory syndrome. So covid is in the same family as SARS. Pretty much a breathing issue illness...

Not like a small pox, which also spread really easily, but totally different type of illness. Both pretty bad though!

They say covid spreads really really easily, way more so than the flu or the common cold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I thought it was just called the wuhan flu?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (09-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That depends on where one gets their news.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Some say tomato, some say tomato. It's still a tomato either way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just for S & G's, I took todays reported number of Covid deaths and did the old "cross multiply and divide" by the world population...so far it has taken .012 percent of the humans on earth. Just found that interesting.
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 09-26-2020 at 04:00 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Just for S & G's, I took todays reported number of Covid deaths and did the old "cross multiply and dived" by the world population...so far it has taken .012 percent of the humans on earth. Just found that interesting.
    What percentage of reported COVID deaths are COVID only deaths (no other pre-existing condition was present)?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (09-28-2020),Pryme (09-27-2020),Top_Fuel (09-26-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What percentage of reported COVID deaths are COVID only deaths (no other pre-existing condition was present)?
    Many viruses/bacterium only indirectly kill you such as HIV which leaves you open because of a failing immune system.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    This is an interesting question.

So the ongoing concern among medical professionals is that acquiring this disease can make managing all the other conditions impossible. For example, Medical Care can manage high blood pressure, blood sugar, blood clots that can cause strokes & heart attacks, obesity, etc. Medical professionals can even manage multiple such conditions in one patient.

A compromised immune system such as with the elderly, cancer patients, and organ transplant recipients makes treating these conditions tricky and difficult.

This is where current thinking gets cloudy and confused. Where before certain conditions or combinations thereof can be managed, acquiring SARS-COVID19 combined with these other conditions can end a life. Set aside the pre-existing conditions - COVID19 has killed people who were healthy and without any other pre-existing condition. Hospitals were overwhelmed (Spain, Italy, New York, etc.) and were unable to treat the number of patients showing up at their door. Morale in the medical centers is affected and caregivers can acquire the disease, both impairing the medical response.

Think of this in terms of lawn care.

You have a lawn, and tend to it. You keep it trim and neat, and treat for dandelions before they take over the lawn you put so much time into. But one of your neighbors doesn't see things the way you do, and they have a few dandelions in their lawn. In fact, several neighbors don't seem to care, and their lawns are filled with dandelions . It's only a matter of time before their dandelions seed your lawn and your lawn becomes infested with them too.

It's a sad situation. It doesn't make sense to question the training and advice of medical professionals who have made it their life's work to become experts in their field (I know better than the brain surgeon, so I'll do it my own way!) And there is no rationale in contributing to spreading this or any other disease - that line of thought doesn't add up. Yet some folks think they know better. See also: sea lawyer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Basic (09-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    The CDC just answered that question yesterday...

For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned.
    For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death.”
    Based on the CDC's numbers, that would mean 12,000 in the US have died from COVID alone.

You didn't see this on cable news last night...because they're too busy running "US LEADS WORLD IN COVID CASES" headlines.

This latest CDC chart breaks down the COVID-19 survival rate by age groups:

COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC):
    Ages 0-19 ...... 99.997%
    Ages 20-49 ..... 99.98%
    Ages 50-69 ..... 99.5%
    Ages 70+ ....... 94.6%

If you're an otherwise healthy person, under 70, not living in a nursing home, it's a pretty safe bet that you aren't going to die from COVID.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Pryme (09-27-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    See also: sea lawyer.
    Sea lawyer. Good one, not sure how I missed that saying until now. Pseudo experts criticizing where there isn't even a problem or issue.. what a perennial issue of human kind... I think it's the kindness part that is mostly missing.

I think it goes to show that the East Coast of Canada, with almost no Covid cases, (Practically the only place in north America), is also the place that cars stop to let people cross the street.

Seriously people.