Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Here's some details from the American Red Cross website:

Quote Originally Posted by redcrossblood.org
    What To Know About COVID-19 Antibody Testing

What is the COVID-19 antibody test?

An antibody test screens for antibodies in your blood. Antibodies are formed when fighting infection, like COVID-19. An antibody test assesses whether your immune systems has responded to the infection, not if the virus is currently present.

Specifically, the COVID-19 antibody test used by the Red Cross is available through Emergency Use Authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Test results may indicate if the donor’s immune system has produced antibodies to the coronavirus, regardless of whether they developed symptoms.

What’s the difference between a diagnostic test and an antibody test?

A diagnostic test detects current infection. An antibody test screens for antibodies in your blood. Antibodies are formed when fighting infection, like COVID-19. An antibody test assesses whether your immune systems has responded to the infection, not if the virus or infection is currently active.

The Red Cross is not testing donors to diagnose illness, referred to as a diagnostic test, and positive antibody test results do not confirm infection or immunity; a positive antibody test indicates potential exposure to the virus. Individuals who believe they may be ill with COVID-19 should not present to donate until they are symptom free for 14 days.

Do donors need to have a successful donation to receive an antibody test result?

Yes. Donors will need to have a successful donation to receive COVID-19 antibody results. Per standard donation procedure, only successful donations are sent to our laboratory for testing.

How long will the Red Cross be antibody testing?

The Red Cross plans to test blood, platelet and plasma donations for COVID-19 antibodies through early January. We will assess whether or extend this date further as we continue to plan and respond to the evolving challenges of the pandemic.

SEE ALL QUESTIONS REGARDING COVID-19 ANTIBODY TESTING AND DONATION ELEGIBILITY

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    So yeah, if you donate blood you'll help with the critical shortage nationwide and get some valuable information as a bonus!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    So yeah, if you donate blood you'll help with the critical shortage nationwide and get some valuable information as a bonus!
    Yeah, the antibody testing is a big reason why I donated. I'm not a college student or a professional athlete, so I gotta make do somehow. I did get a bag of snack-size cookies and a apple juice box though. Felt pretty good about that score.

PS has anyone run through their hoard of toilet paper yet haha.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-30-2020 at 10:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    There is a real shortage of blood plasma.

I heard retards are starting to hoard toilet paper again....Ol'lady was gonna go grab a bunch last night after hearing about that on facecrack. I told her not to be a retard too. We have paper towel, kleenex, socks.....curtains, grass. Stores here are still running as usual. If I'm gonna hoard anything it'll be beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    President Trump testing positive is both unexpected and the most expected thing ever.

This cold and flu season is going to be lit.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MIMirage For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-02-2020),Dirk Diggler (10-02-2020),Fummins (10-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMirage View Post
    President Trump testing positive is both unexpected and the most expected thing ever.
    I just heard this on the radio this morning. This is definitely bad news. Markets have reacted, and trading hasn't yet opened.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-02-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I just heard this on the radio this morning. This is definitely bad news. Markets have reacted, and trading hasn't yet opened.
    I know the world may overreact to this, but it also shows everyone is human. For most people, life goes on after getting COVID-19. Maybe our President showing the world that isn't all bad?

I understand the gloom & doom of that news, but I am not going to get sucked into the media hype about it.

Just like I would for anyone else, I hope for the best with each COVID-19 case anywhere in the world including the White House.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-02-2020),Fummins (10-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I heard retards are starting to hoard toilet paper again....Ol'lady was gonna go grab a bunch last night after hearing about that on facecrack. I told her not to be a retard too. We have paper towel, kleenex, socks.....curtains, grass. Stores here are still running as usual. If I'm gonna hoard anything it'll be beer.
    (sighs) I heard this too. But why...why TP? wtf. Coincidentally, we just bought Costco's 30 pack last week because we were low. Found out about a possible "shortage" the other day and was thinking "man, I need some beer now".

As for the news about the POTUS getting COVID, I am too surprised but no surprised at all. He must come into contact with A LOT of people, everyday. I think it was eventually going to happen. Which boggles my mind that people are actually thinking that "how could the POTUS get it? and if he can get it, so can we?!" (sighs). I'm just gonna hoard beer now. Any suggestions? I like my dark ale beers with a side of a WELL-DONE Steak. (haha, kidding about the well-done steak)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't wish anything but the best for anyone...

but it's totally poetic justice.

Edit: 2of9 if you like ale, look for Labatt 50. My favourite beer of all time. Ale is for real beer people; has depth and flavour. Fummins is gonna make fun of me for preaching 50 . Honestly always sits well, and like any good ale, you can taste it for 12 hours after.

Second favourite: Chimay, from Belgium.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-02-2020)