Page 90 of 95 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

This is true.
    There sure were a lot of grouchy people calling into the speaker box talking people this morning.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hopefully this doesn’t turn political...I guess Alberta politicians are the biggest hypocrites. Or at least not good at hiding. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryh...0b84576e9/amp/
    I doubt Alberta has anything on politicians around the globe. They all suck. I'm a conservative person. Maybe it's because I'm conservative, but I think every one of the politicians we have in the U.S. on both sides and in the middle all suck. They're in it for their status. Any politician that is in it for the long term good of his / her community won't get re-elected because all their community really wants (in the grand scheme of things) is all the free stuff they can get ... and they want it now. So if said elected official does the hard thing that better prepares a community in the long run but is a not so easy at the moment, out the door said elected official goes at the next election.

My snobby "conservative" town is no better than anywhere else. Every little thing the city council decides is "needed," the knee-jerk reaction is to always find the funds by some manner of tax increase. SPLOST is one of those things that sounds so good for a community because it is "literally pennies." But hey, if I want something that I cannot currently afford, I don't go tell my boss, "increase my income so I can do a home renovation (etc.)" My town spends way too much money on fireworks. Yeah, it's cute and all, but if you can't pay for other things without raising taxes, scrap the fireworks. It's called balancing a budget. I'd be out on my can in a second if I were on the city council because I would reject EVERYTHING, if we didn't already have the budget for it, or couldn't end something else in order to get the funding. Which means I would reject everything, and out the door I would go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

2of9 (01-06-2021),dragon2knight (01-05-2021),Fummins (01-04-2021)

It looks like a bunch of those hypocrites who went on vacation were either demoted or resigned. After being called out of course....

It looks like numbers around here are dropping finally. For now. There were close to 400 active cases in my town a few weeks ago and now around 150. Yay...And my kids finally go back to school next week, hopefully.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    And my kids finally go back to school next week, hopefully.
    I hope they do too. This has been difficult for the kids and parents, probably more than it needed to be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-05-2021),Fummins (01-05-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It looks like a bunch of those hypocrites who went on vacation were either demoted or resigned. After being called out of course....

It looks like numbers around here are dropping finally. For now. There were close to 400 active cases in my town a few weeks ago and now around 150. Yay...And my kids finally go back to school next week, hopefully.
    My kid doesn't go back until the end of January. I saw that coming from a mile away as Ont numbers rose daily. I suspect my kid will not go back to school until after March break, if then even. \

Funny thing is, I've had 2 of what you would call elective surgeries in the last 3 months, under general anethesia with another scheduled for late Feb. The news makes it sound like you can't get treated for anything less than a major heart attack or stroke. Not true, simply not true. Think of all the wasted resources if that really was the case in Ontario. Empty OR's, idle MRI & CAT scan machines, etc.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Funny thing is, I've had 2 of what you would call elective surgeries in the last 3 months, under general anethesia with another scheduled for late Feb. The news makes it sound like you can't get treated for anything less than a major heart attack or stroke. Not true, simply not true. Think of all the wasted resources if that really was the case in Ontario. Empty OR's, idle MRI & CAT scan machines, etc.
    A lot of hospitals faced the same situation with the lockdown where elective procedures were put on hold. Surgeries are a large source of income. Not being able to perform electives cut into bottom lines to the extent that some smaller medical centers faced closure due not being able to pay their bills. It's a very difficult situation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'll go ahead and drop this bomb here. Universal healthcare is a right. Canada, UK, Germany, France, Denmark, all democracies that give the citizens the right to vote out socialized medicine if they wanted to and yet they don't. Speaks volumes against the usual "You have to wait 6 months for triple by pass surgery in communist countries like Canada!" rhetoric you hear often in the states.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'll go ahead and drop this bomb here. Universal healthcare is a right. Canada, UK, Germany, France, Denmark, all democracies that give the citizens the right to vote out socialized medicine if they wanted to and yet they don't. Speaks volumes against the usual "You have to wait 6 months for triple by pass surgery in communist countries like Canada!" rhetoric you hear often in the states.
    This country (USA) is run by the pharmaceuticals, so this is no surprise here. This is the perfect example of a "bought" government. Until we as a nation can fix this (assuming it hasn't gone too far to even be able to do that that is....) we will always suffer it's consequences.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-10-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    We're in good company lol.

Name:  large_countries_with_universal_healthcare.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  31.8 KB

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-10-2021),Fummins (01-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    There's a few things about public health care in Ontario, Canada I want to point out, that you don't get from statistics etc. First of all, it's true that public health care is the way to go. Other industries obviously better privatized, or you end up with empty grocery shelves lol. Here is one thing though to keep in mind: public health care in Ontario means everyone is entitled to a family doctor, and that way you can keep up on your physicals, stitches, whatever comes up. Some people let their family doctors account slide for many years, then they lose their family physician, and then they're stuck dealing with emergency rooms and walk-in clinics as their primary health care provider. But if you don't take advantage of your benefits, kinda your own fault. But this is the sort of stuff people pull, then whine later. Drives me nuts. Anyway...

Not me. I have had the same family doctor since I was a baby. Well same office since my doctor retired. I'm caught up on whooping cough vaccine just the other year. And who knows what else is getting boosted next year, or in 5 years. That's all cradle to grave. Honestly I get taxed up the arse though every paycheque.

Dental care is a bit of a stickier issue, but like it is in Michigan, all depends on where you are in life. So there is coverage for the real poor, but then other folks have 100% coverage with private dental coverage, Calvin Klein braces in some cases like on the Simpsons!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-10-2021)