Page 13 of 95 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Anyone find they have a lot of time on their hands? I'm still working.
    I am still working, but it's being done in a different way. Last week was spring break, I am preparing virtual lessons & grading work on line now. Programs like Schoology & Google Classroom are constantly crashing during the middle of the day, because they weren't designed for the entire country to go virtual in a instant. It's been a bit frustrating, but it's more important that people (students/teachers) remain safe & healthy. I still go into school most days, but only 4 or so other teachers have been there. Most are doing stuff from home. It's been a bit of a process, but everyone is trying to do their best. Getting middle school students to do their work while in class was a challenge most days. This is a bigger challenge. I don't think our school board has decided if grades will count yet or not.

My behind-the-wheel lessons are on hold through the month of April for sure. The Wisconsin DMV has cancelled driving tests, too. A few people that I know had scheduled surgeries put on hold, too. Life has really become a reschedule.

This event does make a person think. Imagine going through something like this prior to the modern electronic age? Even with an understanding of what is happening, it's a bit scary & alarming. Imagine living through the "Black Plague" when people didn't really grasp what was happening or causing the disease.

Quote -
    "The practice of blessing someone who sneezes dates as far back as at least AD 77, although it is far older than most specific explanations can account for. Some have offered an explanation suggesting that people once held the folk belief that a person's soul could be thrown from their body when they sneezed, that sneezing otherwise opened the body to invasion by the Devil or evil spirits, or that sneezing was the body's effort to force out an invading evil presence. In these cases, "God bless you" or "bless you" is used as a sort of shield against evil.

National Geographic reports that during the plague of AD 590, "Pope Gregory I ordered unceasing prayer for divine intercession. Part of his command was that anyone sneezing be blessed immediately ("God bless you"), since sneezing was often the first sign that someone was falling ill with the plague." By AD 750, it became customary to say "God bless you" as a response to one sneezing."

Last edited by Mark; 04-02-2020 at 04:19 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Nobu (04-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’m still working. Wife is too. Otherwise staying home as much as possible. The kids are doing school and their dance stuff online. Wish I had stock in that Zoom app!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think if people are working or are laid off, or having money issues or retirement savings issues, whatever, it's a crazy time for everyone and an easy environment to lose your shirt in. Beyond the epidemic it's worse quarter on the dow stock exchange since 1987, but it was up and down a lot at the end of its 29.5 peak. So these weeks, keep on plugging and keep Fit and Have fun, Fummin's reference to the old early 90s mini-tv exercise shows with Suzanne and what's his name. Anyways crazy times! In Ontario it's Where's the toilet paper? and stay inside and I think they should make social distancing permanent with all the annoying close talkers, my pet peeve stay away and I don't have no problem staying away lol anyways. Stupid virus

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-02-2020),Fummins (04-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Quote -
    "The practice of blessing someone who sneezes dates as far back as at least AD 77, although it is far older than most specific explanations can account for. Some have offered an explanation suggesting that people once held the folk belief that a person's soul could be thrown from their body when they sneezed, that sneezing otherwise opened the body to invasion by the Devil or evil spirits, or that sneezing was the body's effort to force out an invading evil presence. In these cases, "God bless you" or "bless you" is used as a sort of shield against evil.

National Geographic reports that during the plague of AD 590, "Pope Gregory I ordered unceasing prayer for divine intercession. Part of his command was that anyone sneezing be blessed immediately ("God bless you"), since sneezing was often the first sign that someone was falling ill with the plague." By AD 750, it became customary to say "God bless you" as a response to one sneezing."
    How times have changed. Now there are arguments over whether wearing a mask is helpful or not.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-02-2020 at 02:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I'm working from home now but still plugging away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21K0AY

Holy crap. I know we have some forum members from the Philippines.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Why not? If it'll help save people from getting it I say giver. I keep hearing stories about people who returned from out of country and supposed to be quarantined getting caught going shopping or something stupid. They'll get fined if caught here, being shot would make people think a little more lol.

Here's a good one about how selfish and retarded people are https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/7...ngering-locals They should prevent them from reproducing and kick them out of the plane mid flight

I wouldn't want to be stuck on one of those cruise ships that has nowhere to go.

I'm lucky(ish) enough to still be working. I know a lot of people being laid off though, lots of small shops closing and probably not re opening. Hopefully they don't try to put us under house arrest this summer, I need to go camping more this year and not having the kids in school will help a lot! Cheap gas and less traffic is a bonus too. Now if only it'd stop snowing.........

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21K0AY

Holy crap. I know we have some forum members from the Philippines.
    Their president may have been the same dude that pulled out a gun & starting shooting at the guy's car for not covering his cough?

It would make one think twice before doing something stupid!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

I wouldn't want to be stuck on one of those cruise ships that has nowhere to go.
    No and I have said that for years, that I would never go on a cruise ship for a vacation, because look at the possible calamaties. Ship capsizing, plague runs amok across the ship, mutinies even. The list goes on, who wants to be on a boat with 7000 people?

What if someone hacks the satellites and GPS goes out and the captain can't see that big wave now... condos at sea is not my idea of fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    No and I have said that for years, that I would never go on a cruise ship for a vacation, because look at the possible calamaties. Ship capsizing, plague runs amok across the ship, mutinies even. The list goes on, who wants to be on a boat with 7000 people?

What if someone hacks the satellites and GPS goes out and the captain can't see that big wave now... condos at sea is not my idea of fun.
    No one wants to become a part of a true life story that's bigger than "Titantic"!