Page 24 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    My county in southwest Wisconsin has been @ 15 cases & 4 deaths for about 3 weeks now. It's a very rural area. Richland Center (county seat) has a population of 5,000. The next biggest town in the county has a population count of 314.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Loren (06-29-2020)

The latest surge in cases in the US seems to skew toward younger people, from what I've been reading. So hopefully the mortality rate doesn't follow the path it took in March. Gotta keep the younguns away from grandma and grandpa though.

I have 3 relatives who've had it, and it wasn't pleasant. And I know of 3 fatalities (relatives of friends or friends of friends), all 3 in Montreal retirement homes.

Just one proactive comment: Let's continue to stay away from political angles in this thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (07-01-2020),Fummins (06-30-2020),inuvik (06-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In East Lansing we had an outbreak tied to a college bar named Harpers. 85 cases so far, and they are telling anyone who was there between June 12th-20th to quarantine for 14 days.

At the restaurant I work at, anyone who had been to the bar had to get a test, but only one positive so far. It was about half the waitstaff who had just come back to work a couple weeks ago. Business in the dining room also fell off a cliff, a lot of people in East Lansing retreated back inside.

The scene at that bar will be repeated at over a dozen bars and probably 50 house parties the first night the MSU students return. I have no idea how we have college this year, besides a vaccine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Strange how it's the memorial day gatherings and beach goers that "caused the spike" but has nothing to do with the rampant violence and rioting and shoulder to shoulder protests nationwide, according to the media.

This virus sure works in mysterious ways.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-02-2020),Top_Fuel (07-28-2020)

Is it done yet? Active case numbers go up and down around here a lot. I sure hope this is get it once and be done with it deal. I'm tired of hearing about this "new normal" crap. Yet here I am.

Just when things are starting to get closer to the old normal I hear on the radio the city is considering making masks mandatory in retail stores and other public places. I don't like the way things are going and use just try to use a little common sense.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The rumor mill at the hospital was every patient that died had blood clotting in their organs after autopsies were performed. I hope to God folks exposed to this dont develope that issue down the line. But thats the problem, we dont know whats going to happen down the line. This is a man made virus, not natural so the ramifications of that is unknown.

Well that sucks! I'm gonna move into this old trappers cabin I found. https://satellites.pro/Canada_map#52...-116.882692,18
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Is it done yet? Active case numbers go up and down around here a lot. I sure hope this is get it once and be done with it deal. I'm tired of hearing about this "new normal" crap. Yet here I am.

Just when things are starting to get closer to the old normal I hear on the radio the city is considering making masks mandatory in retail stores and other public places. I don't like the way things are going and use just try to use a little common sense.
    We are to wear masks anytime we leave the house. Ohio and Cleveland in particular has become a hot spot due to the spread of this disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The rumor mill at the hospital was every patient that died had blood clotting in their organs after autopsies were performed. I hope to God folks exposed to this dont develope that issue down the line. But thats the problem, we dont know whats going to happen down the line.
    I've heard the clotting is a result of the body's immune system overreacting to the virus. Folks mistakenly believe that SARS-CoV-2 patients that die of a stroke or a heart attack are being miscategorized as being a COVID-related death, but the clotting is directly related to the viral infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This is a man made virus, not natural so the ramifications of that is unknown.
    I gotta ask that politics are kept out of this discussion.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-29-2020 at 08:36 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whats political about a conspiracy theory?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    He's got a point.

COVID-19 is running rampant here in FL, as well. And the infection rates where I live, in Pinellas County, are very much tracking the local government's actions. We were smooth-sailing with an excellently low daily infection rate, and a total of only 800 cases in the county when we got the okay to reopen our driving school mid-May (statewide "lock-down" was lifted). We were very cautious about it, requiring our instructors to wear masks and sanitize the cars between lessons. Within about a week, our county was hitting 100 new cases PER DAY with each day being significantly higher than the next. Our nice, flat curve had gone nearly vertical. At that point, we opted to require our students to also wear masks. It took the city of St Pete about a week to enact a mask ordinance, and the county (and several neighboring counties) another week to two weeks after that to do the same.

We've still got an uncomfortably high daily new infection rate, and the daily positive test rate is in the 15-20% range, which is nuts. And, most importantly, PEOPLE ARE DYING. But, it's VERY clear that masking works. A month or so after the mask ordinance, our numbers stabilized, and are on a decline rather than rising exponentially, as they were. Still way too high, but declining.

Folks, even you believe that this is man-made... I don't care. It *IS*. It exists. It's a thing.

Even if you believe that a lot of deaths are being mis-reported as COVID-19 related and they're not. Pick a percentage. What do you think? 50% of them are miscategorized, so the numbers aren't as bad as they seem? Guess what? 17 people died right here in my local county TODAY. Cut that number in half, and it's still TOO MANY.

Things were pretty scary about a month ago. We have around 300 ICU beds in our county, and I watched the count of available beds go from over 70 to less than 20 in a matter of days. Currently, it's been around 40-50 available. And that's with over 15,000 active cases... adding around 200 per day.

Very rough stats seem to indicate that maybe 10-20% of the people who get this virus will end up in the hospital. Roughly 1-2% will die. 200 new infections per day. At least two of those people are going to die. That's the reality. If MY actions can help keep one person from dying, or even ending up in the hospital, it's worth it.

And that's why I wear a mask, and I don't complain about it. I don't want the disease, sure. I'm over 50 and have high blood pressure, I'm "at risk", though I'm not terribly worried about it. But, even more than that... I don't want to be responsible for SOMEONE ELSE getting it. I can cope with the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask. It could save someone's life.

If things aren't so bad where you live, or it hasn't impacted anyone that you know personally, I'm happy for you. But, that doesn't make this any less real.

Simplify and add lightness.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

2of9 (07-30-2020),Dirk Diggler (07-29-2020),Fummins (07-29-2020)