Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT interchangeable from different years?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    The Nissan Versa Note for sure. Uses the same CVT-7 transmission. I believe the regular Versa, the Kicks, and something else use the same trans as well but I'm not 100% sure. I actually found the Jatco part number somewhere on this forum and went in to the local Nissan dealer and asked for it as well as the o-ring. I'll try to remember to post up the Nissan part numbers here later today.
    The Sentra, Cube, and the Juke too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    It sucks that there's not a way to completely empty and replace the fluid in it like you can with a regular automatic that feeds trans fluid through an external cooler or the radiator.
    I missed this post. I guess you probably could find a Nissan cvt cooler that’d bolt up. The kind that has 4 lines, 2 coolant and 2 trans fluid that I’d assume go to an external cooler.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey guys n gals!.. I know this is an old post but was hoping I could get a little info/help from this forum… I have a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage and I’m having an almost identical issue about the transmission flashing D after warming up and going about 20 to 30 miles on the freeway and the RPM starts to rev at about 4k plus consuming a lot more fuel than usual. Also loses power going up hills.. the code is saying P0841 Line Pressure Sensor.. One shop I took it to is one of those kind of shops that will not open the tranny up and will only install a brand new one from the dealer for over 10k installed.. I also have a 2017 transmission I can buy with the guy saying it’s only got 40k miles on it.. my question is if i was to install the 2017 into the 2015 does the transmission control module need to be re-flashed or reset? The guy at the transmission shop told me one of the reasons he hast to use a brand new one is Mitsubishi says you cannot put a different transmission in it because the TCM will not work unless it’s a brand new transmission.. sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any advice information or help!

They fit fine. I’ve put 2017 cvt in my early 2014 mirage and in 2015’s at work. No programming required, the transmission computer is in the car not inside the transmission.

There are some Relearn procedures that you can use a scan tool to do but I typically don’t bother.

Edit: Post #2 mentions a 2017 will fit a 2015 as well.

I have had a 2015 with the flashing D(quick means overheating, slow means cvt trouble code stored iirc). I can't remember what code I had but it wasn't a good one. I tore the valve body open and cleaned it up, and it worked for a little while. Then I believe I just replaced the entire valve body with a used one. And it's been mostly good for a couple of years now putting 4000miles a month(mostly city).

Replacing the cvt is no different than a conventional automatic, there are no special tools or skills needed. If you're mechanically inclined and have a basic socket and wrench set with a 10,12,14,17,19mm then there isn't a lot more you need other than a 32mm for the axle nuts a pry bar(to pop the axles from the trans and I drop the ball joint from the spindle rather than unbolt the spindle from the strut because sometimes these things have camber bolts installed during alignment and if removed basically require another alignment) and either a bfh or tie rod/ball joint seperator tool.
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-10-2022 at 01:27 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They fit fine. IÂ’ve put 2017 cvt in my early 2014 mirage and in 2015Â’s at work. No programming required, the transmission computer is in the car not inside the transmission.

There are some Relearn procedures that you can use a scan tool to do but I typically donÂ’t bother.

Edit: Post #2 mentions a 2017 will fit a 2015 as well.

I have had a 2015 with the flashing D(quick means overheating, slow means cvt trouble code stored iirc). I can't remember what code I had but it wasn't a good one. I tore the valve body open and cleaned it up, and it worked for a little while. Then I believe I just replaced the entire valve body with a used one. And it's been mostly good for a couple of years now putting 4000miles a month(mostly city).

Replacing the cvt is no different than a conventional automatic, there are no special tools or skills needed. If you're mechanically inclined and have a basic socket and wrench set with a 10,12,14,17,19mm then there isn't a lot more you need other than a 32mm for the axle nuts a pry bar(to pop the axles from the trans and I drop the ball joint from the spindle rather than unbolt the spindle from the strut because sometimes these things have camber bolts installed during alignment and if removed basically require another alignment) and either a bfh or tie rod/ball joint seperator tool.
    Thank you for the information and quick reply! I have heard depending on the flash (quick or slow) can mean different things.. IÂ’ve tried to looking at it but for me personally without having something to compare it to I really canÂ’t tell if itÂ’s either one lol.. yes I have seen post#2 which was identical to my situation with the 2017 transmission I have access to at the moment. I just couldnÂ’t really find any information about weather the Tcm needs to be reset or anything but youÂ’ve now answered my question on that.. if you donÂ’t mind I have a few more questions IÂ’d like to ask.. I really appreciate the info!

my 2015 seems to drive just fine and never flashes D while driving in the city.. you said now after replacing the valve body you drive 4k miles a month in the city.. is that just your normal driving route or is there any kind of issues on the freeway? Just asking cause thatÂ’s where my issues always pop up is freeways and hillsÂ… I was thinking I might just take the valve body from the 2017 donor and put it in the 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Ben206 View Post
    Thank you for the information and quick reply! I have heard depending on the flash (quick or slow) can mean different things.. IÂ’ve tried to looking at it but for me personally without having something to compare it to I really canÂ’t tell if itÂ’s either one lol.. yes I have seen post#2 which was identical to my situation with the 2017 transmission I have access to at the moment. I just couldnÂ’t really find any information about weather the Tcm needs to be reset or anything but youÂ’ve now answered my question on that.. if you donÂ’t mind I have a few more questions IÂ’d like to ask.. I really appreciate the info!

my 2015 seems to drive just fine and never flashes D while driving in the city.. you said now after replacing the valve body you drive 4k miles a month in the city.. is that just your normal driving route or is there any kind of issues on the freeway? Just asking cause thatÂ’s where my issues always pop up is freeways and hillsÂ… I was thinking I might just take the valve body from the 2017 donor and put it in the 2015
    The one car I was referring to is a delivery car at my work. Someone else drives that car. I haven't had any complaints in years(that I recall). That car started throwing P0746 and p0867 codes at 233k km/144k miles(November 2019). Initially, I dropped the pan and replaced fluid and both filters. 2000km later the same problems came back so I replaced the valve body with one that was from a car that had a failed input bearing. Iirc I tore the valve body apart and cleaned it out well before installing it. I believe it was kinda finiky shifting at first but has been working alright for a while now. It's at 380,000kms/236xxxmiles as of the last service. This car is mainly used in the City with speeds under 60mph. I can't remember the symptoms the car had other than the flashing D, which I used to think only meant that it was overheating. I think maybe the car wouldn't shift(would rev high?), that or it would act like it was in neutral? Shutting the car off and restarting would make it drive normally again for a short time.

The car I personally own is a 2014 that I bought from a fellow forum member last Feburary(?) with 283k kms. He was having problems with the transmission.(I'll look for his thread and post it here). I believe he used the car to commute a lot on the highway (70mph). Iirc the car would rev up similar to yours on the highway. He bought something else and the car was only used in town until they delivered it to me an hour or so away. When he showed up he said the car hasn't driven that well in years! The transmission shifted fine. I didn't trust it though and planned to replace it anyways. Then I ended up driving it a little further and further until it became my daily driver. Then the engine spun a rod bearing so I replaced both the engine and transmission with super low mileage(under 6000km-ish) 2017 units from lkq.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2014 came up with this same code P0841 at 74K miles, just a day after completing a 2K miles road trip from NY to Idaho. The car was carrying about 700 lbs so we drove accordingly, specially through the western desert highways where traffic flow is 80 mph and the heat was passing 100F. The Mirage behaved normally except one time where the cruise disengaged by itself when the transmission started stuttering on a long low-incline uphill with strong headwind.

Next day after the trip the CEL showed up and since then there's low torque and higher rpm on low gear, but no stuttering or flashing D. Fuel efficiency dropped to the low 20s on city driving (used to be high 20s-30s at worst), but remains normal on the highway. Trans fluid level is fine; I had replaced it 4K miles before the trip, together with both filters.

I'm planning on taking it to the dealer and hopefully the fix will be covered under the 10-year transaxle warranty.
    Last edited by R01k; 08-15-2022 at 07:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    My 2014 with came up with this same code P0841 at 74K miles, just a day after completing a 2K miles road trip trip from NY to Idaho. The car was carrying about 700 lbs so we drove accordingly, specially through the western desert highways where traffic flow is 80 mph and the heat was passing 100F. The Mirage behaved normally except one time where the cruise disengaged by itself when the transmission started stuttering on a long low-incline uphill with strong headwind.

Next day after the trip the CEL showed up and since then there's low torque and higher rpm on low gear, but no stuttering or flashing D. Fuel efficiency dropped to the low 20s on city driving (used to be high 20s-30s), but remains normal on the highway. Trans fluid level is fine; I had replaced it 4K miles before the trip, together with both filters.

I'm planning on taking it to the dealer and hopefully the fix will be covered under the 10-year transaxle warranty.
    Yup!!! That’s exactly what it’s doing except mine is normal in the city and and has high rpm and low power on the freeway.. also happened after a few long road trips during the hottest days of summer..

please keep us updated on how the dealership goes..

I have a used valve body on hold at the wrecking yard. I also have a used tranny on hold with another guy I know. Still waiting to tie up a few loose ends before making a decision on repairs but I’ll keep it updated as soon I get things figured out. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update:

Dealer says the transmission is foobar. Waiting for Mitsu to approve replacement under warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Update:

Dealer says the transmission is foobar. Waiting for Mitsu to approve replacement under warranty.
    Really? Do you have extended warranty or is there some kind of recall with these?