Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: CVT interchangeable from different years?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Holden, MO
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question CVT interchangeable from different years?

    I have a 2015 DE with the CVT and 120,000. Wrench image has been on since I got it. It works well until driven 20 or so miles, then starts to rev under load like slipping. When driven for more than 50 miles will rev way up on hills or under load and lose speed. Wondering if I could find a used CVT from later model if it would interchange? Thanks



  2. #2
    Yeah, 2017 will fit. I've installed on in a 2015 already. It was exactly the same. I would assume 2018-19 would also work but can't be positive, I'd try it.

    I haven't had one slip before. I have a 2015 at work with over 200k miles on it and still going strong.

    The wrench on the dash is just an oil change light. Not a check engine light.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

    poorman1 (03-17-2020)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    looking into the abyss
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Posts
    4,927
    Thanks
    1,835
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
    Only 120k miles and its already crapping out? You get it examined first before you try and outsource a used one?

  5. #4
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    looking into the abyss
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Posts
    4,927
    Thanks
    1,835
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, 2017 will fit. I've installed on in a 2015 already. It was exactly the same. I would assume 2018-19 would also work but can't be positive, I'd try it.

    I haven't had one slip before. I have a 2015 at work with over 200k miles on it and still going strong.

    The wrench on the dash is just an oil change light. Not a check engine light.
    The real question is will it fit a 2014? We never did learn what the magic part was that prevents a 2014 from being interchangeable? I emailed Mitsu too, nothing. Called the help line, guy didn't know said he'd get back to me. Never did.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,072
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked 2,124 Times in 1,673 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhynden View Post
    I have a 2015 DE with the CVT and 120,000. Wrench image has been on since I got it. It works well until driven 20 or so miles, then starts to rev under load like slipping. When driven for more than 50 miles will rev way up on hills or under load and lose speed. Wondering if I could find a used CVT from later model if it would interchange? Thanks
    I can't fix your CVT, but you can surely remove the wrench image (just a simple service engine reminder) from your dash. Visual is easier than words. Thus, I found a short clip for you -

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBfnBnQ_dc

  7. #6
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    looking into the abyss
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Posts
    4,927
    Thanks
    1,835
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
    updates?

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Holden, MO
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Only 120k miles and its already crapping out? You get it examined first before you try and outsource a used one?
    I haven't had it checked out at Mitsubishi dealer, nearest one is about 60 miles away. It seems fine until warms up , at about 20-30 miles at 60 mph or so, the "D" will start blinking , sometimes stumbles a few times, but definitely on a fairly hard accel (on-ramp) , it will buck and usually will see tach go up. I get out of it and ease back in and seems to do better, but the longer it is driven, the more it seems to "slip" under load or on hills.

    I bought used, so don't know when/if trans fluid was changed on schedule, etc. Wondered if valve body screen could have a bad gasket (o-ring)letting it suck air or if the small, round filter on the cooler could be plugged?

    Would only dealer be able to diagnosis or should any reputable shop be able to handle?

    Also, still wondering that if it did have to be replaced, if anyone on here knows definitively what years would be a direct replacement?

    Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    looking into the abyss
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Posts
    4,927
    Thanks
    1,835
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhynden View Post
    I haven't had it checked out at Mitsubishi dealer, nearest one is about 60 miles away. It seems fine until warms up , at about 20-30 miles at 60 mph or so, the "D" will start blinking , sometimes stumbles a few times, but definitely on a fairly hard accel (on-ramp) , it will buck and usually will see tach go up. I get out of it and ease back in and seems to do better, but the longer it is driven, the more it seems to "slip" under load or on hills.

    I bought used, so don't know when/if trans fluid was changed on schedule, etc. Wondered if valve body screen could have a bad gasket (o-ring)letting it suck air or if the small, round filter on the cooler could be plugged?

    Would only dealer be able to diagnosis or should any reputable shop be able to handle?

    Also, still wondering that if it did have to be replaced, if anyone on here knows definitively what years would be a direct replacement?

    Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have.
    You need to stop driving it immediately if the D is flashing, you could potentially ruin it if you haven't already. The dealership could do a programming reflash or change the fluid and hope it clears up the issue. Worse case scenario they're going to want $6k to put in a new CVT. The good news is there are plenty of used ones under 50k miles that are interchangeable and cost like $500 bucks plus another thousand for labor. Call around to highly rated private mechanics and see if their willing to tackle this operation. Aamco and other big names trans shops won't do it, they only deal in new CVTs.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    looking into the abyss
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Posts
    4,927
    Thanks
    1,835
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhynden View Post
    I haven't had it checked out at Mitsubishi dealer, nearest one is about 60 miles away. It seems fine until warms up , at about 20-30 miles at 60 mph or so, the "D" will start blinking , sometimes stumbles a few times, but definitely on a fairly hard accel (on-ramp) , it will buck and usually will see tach go up. I get out of it and ease back in and seems to do better, but the longer it is driven, the more it seems to "slip" under load or on hills.

    I bought used, so don't know when/if trans fluid was changed on schedule, etc. Wondered if valve body screen could have a bad gasket (o-ring)letting it suck air or if the small, round filter on the cooler could be plugged?

    Would only dealer be able to diagnosis or should any reputable shop be able to handle?

    Also, still wondering that if it did have to be replaced, if anyone on here knows definitively what years would be a direct replacement?

    Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have.
    Check the fluid on the CVT dipstick, what color is it?

  11. #10
    First thing I'd do is drop the oil pan and go from there. If there aren't pieces or shavings of metal then cross your fingers. Fill it up with new oil and find someone to find out what code/s are stored. A welfare edition code reader won't read transmission codes. Most shops with a half assed scanner should be able to look up what's going on. I haven't heard of anyone rebuilding cvt's personally, everyone seems to be afraid of them.

    A dealer could probably tell you what the codes are but I highly doubt they'd ever attempt to actually repair a cvt. They usually just replace them rather. If that's the route you're planning might as well just go buy another car. Like Dirk said, used ones are cheap. That'll probably be the best bet if you can't figure out what's wrong yourself.

    You can download a service manual for a 2015 Mirage from russia. Google it or do a search.
    As far as interchange goes, you obviously didn't want to look it up yourself I did it for you. Late 2014(after 4/14)-2019 will work interchange according to https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...c-transmission They all use the same part number.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •