Thread: Polk DB+ 652 or Infinity Reference 5032cfx

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Polk DB+ 652 or Infinity Reference 5032cfx

Thinking about swapping the front and/or rear speakers in my 2017 mirage, but I'm not familiar with speaker brands at all (other than the names of a few).

Primarily listen to rock, pop, or classic music (mostly rock), in case that matters. I like a bit of bass, but prefer clear/clean sounds if I have to choose.

So...the Polk DB+ 652 and Infinity Reference 5032cfx speakers are both on sale at crutchfield, and are $10 apart from each other in price. Which should I get?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    l am not sure either as l have the stock speakers, but l'm sure either of those would be better than my stock speakers? Best of luck to you Hopefully someone can chime in with better experience with audio.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I personally would not recommend 2-way car speakers. I would spend the little bit extra for a component set with separate tweeters.

I currently have a cheap Polk Audio sub that has handled my 1200w amp quite well. You should also look at the how to guides that have been posted. There are excellent photos of what to expect when you pull the door panels off.

I am still running the factory speakers with my Sony head unit. They actually don't sound all that bad with the EQ set right. I have even had an amplifier pushing them without an issue when I used the factory radio in my 2015 Driver's Edition.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BecauseRaceCar For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't want to do the extra work of the separate tweeter although I know will most likely provide the best sound quality. I did want the 3 way functionality so that is what I went with in all 4 doors. I had good results with RF 6.5"
    I would imagine you could go with 2 ways and add separate tweeters later? Although if 2 ways were that inferior to 3 ways it would seem high end speaker companies wouldn't make them.
    Out of the polk or infinity I am partial to infinity. I also recommend adding in something like the roadkill fast rings. I do believe they clean up the bass response you can get from the 6.5"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage comes with paper cone speakers which are loud and have good bass, but end up with extremely muddy reproduction of pretty much everything else.

That being said, the biggest issue with sound quality in the Mirage is actually just cabin noise. Unless you actually soundproof your car (rip out and pad the dash, headboard, carpet, etc.), you will always be fighting against that.

Given the above, if you are replacing the speakers and not upgrading your head unit, the main number you need to pay attention to on any of the replacement speakers you are looking at is "sensitivity." That basically (glossing over many other things) determines how loud your system will actually end up sounding at max output from the head unit. For me, at speed with the stock speakers (very high sensitivity), I really can't hear my music clearly at anything less than 35 on the dial, which itself only goes to 45, so really not much room left. I ended up swapping to JVC J620's for a crisper sound, but mostly because they had the highest sensitivity rating of all the available options. And they do what they were supposed to. They also cost $30 for a pair...

Those are actually the ones I would recommend to anyone swapping out just the speakers on this car. No point having "reference" grade speakers with low sensitivity hook up to the wimpy stock head unit and cabling. All you'll end up doing is wasting your money and making it harder to hear your music.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you adding an external amp? Components would dedinitely sound better but passive crossovers will reduce power and cause less output. There are many component sets that have tweeter mounting just like a coaxial speaker just with the outboard crossover dividing the signal. So dont let install be the limitation. Anything will be better than stock.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you adding an external amp? Components would dedinitely sound better but passive crossovers will reduce power and cause less output. There are many component sets that have tweeter mounting just like a coaxial speaker just with the outboard crossover dividing the signal. So dont let install be the limitation. Anything will be better than stock.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This happened quite a while back, but I'll give an update: went for the infinity speakers and installed in back. They sound great, but could definitly use a bit more umph to push the sound through them. Actually, when my phone is hooked to aux, it's plenty loud enough stock. Just the radio/cd player are too quiet.

Only other issue I have with them is the bass is definitely weaker than the OE speakers, by a significant amount. A small sub or different model speakers to pair with them would help tremendously. I just set the fade to 60-70% rear and that seems to work alright.

The bracket crutchfield includes is almost useless, as are the screws and clips that go with it, due to the shape of the door around the speaker hole. I managed to make it work, but I'll probably end up getting someone to make a custom bracket if I keep the car long enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)