Thread: Pinging and pre-ignition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Pinging and pre-ignition

2019 Mirage 1.2L with CVT, noticable pinging and detonation with 5,800 miles on odometer. No change in fuel brands or octanes, tried 87 and 89 fuel. Any ideas? No engine codes but getting worse as miles pile on car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Premeir620 View Post
    2019 Mirage 1.2L with CVT, noticable pinging and detonation with 5,800 miles on odometer. No change in fuel brands or octanes, tried 87 and 89 fuel. Any ideas? No engine codes but getting worse as miles pile on car
    My starter went sour very early on in my Mirage. Best of luck! Damp weather the other night starting up and I heard some weird noises. Then were gone. My Mirage has 131,000 km's on the od and is a 5 speed manual. Idles very quiet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You sure? These don't sound like anything else on the road.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You get weird noises from time to time with these weird little engines. If your not throwing any codes I wouldn't sweat it, otherwise just get it checked out under warranty.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Yes it is detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You get weird noises from time to time with these weird little engines. If your not throwing any codes I wouldn't sweat it, otherwise just get it checked out under warranty.
    The car is fully warm after 45 mile highway run at 55-65 mph. Coast down an exit to a flat road. When red lamp turns to green, gentle acceleration the engine goes "ping ping,snap, ping" at takeoff. Only to to stop it is let off gas pedal or go WOT at 5,000 rpm where it gets so fast you only hear the engine roar.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    The car is fully warm...
    Coast down an exit to a flat road...
    gentle acceleration the engine goes "ping ping,snap, ping" at takeoff...
    This may sound crazy...but check your radiator. Is it full of coolant? An overheating engine will knock and ping like BB's in a coffee can.

So I can hear you guys out there saying... "But he didn't say his engine temperature warning light was on."

Well...if there's no coolant around the temperature sending unit, the hot light won't turn on even though the engine is overheating.

It's just a possibility but it only takes 30 seconds to check it. But I agree with you guys that it's under warranty so get it in ASAP if it really is pre-ignition noise you are hearing. That's not good for any engine!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-21-2020),Nobu (03-21-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What did the mechanic say? You should get a free diagnostic at a dealership.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What did the mechanic say? You should get a free diagnostic at a dealership.
    I agree with Dirk. If your car is less than one year old & under 12,000 miles, it shouldn't cost you anything to have this checked out at the dealership.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-22-2020)