Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G4 engine louder past 75 mph than the hatch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    We my trusted mech said there was nothing wrong with the engine, it's just a 3cyl and will be noticeable louder going from 70 to 75 mph. One thing though, I noticed he only pit in 3 quarts of full synthetic, not 3.2 quarts. He said don't worry about it? Mmmmmmm.
    Don't you check your oil level? It's not that hard. Park on level ground & pull the dipstick out.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh Mark that is true. I check my oil when I fill up my windshield washer fluid, and I park perfectly flat using my clutch ..I just kind of go back and forth and land plum. My driveway just goes down at the front a bit, so it's good for drainage anyways...

If you're somehow burning or losing oil, it's good to know right away from checking your oil. Same with colour. And then take it to the shop right away if you have a problem. So it's an old habit of mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't drive faster than 70 mph, problem solved. Glad I could be of assistance.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I check my dipstick for sure. My question is that extra .2 he didnt put in? Will that effect anything or is it too miniscule. And also I just dont remember her engine being that loud at 75 mph? Weird.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I check my dipstick for sure. My question is that extra .2 he didnt put in? Will that effect anything or is it too miniscule. And also I just dont remember her engine being that loud at 75 mph? Weird.
    I use exactly three quarts each time I change the oil. No matter how long you let the oil drain, there is always going to be something left in there. I’d imagine if you could get every last drop out it would add up to 0.2 quarts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-23-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Now that I think about it, the G4 is heavier and it has 4 more hp than my 2014. Maybe thats it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    I don't understand your obsessing about .2 quarts of oil? If your dipstick is up to the top of the fill mark, it's full. 2.8 quarts, 3 quarts, 3.2 quarts, who cares? You drain the oil & remove the oil filter. Add a new filter, refill with oil. After the oil filter fills up, it's good to top off the oil a bit. Even when I change my own oil, I recheck things a day or two later. If I had a mechanic change my oil, I would still check it myself later. If the oil level to the top of the full line on the dipstick, the job is done.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I'll take this opportunity to throw out this helpful reminder for Dirk about reading the marks on the dipstick: Dipstick Marks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Hey Dirk, did you check the air intake of both vehicles? From the snorkel, to the filter box and it's attached resonator, all have an impact on engine noise. Also, have you visually inspected the exhaust, including the hangers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Dirk, did you check the air intake of both vehicles? From the snorkel, to the filter box and it's attached resonator, all have an impact on engine noise. Also, have you visually inspected the exhaust, including the hangers?
    No I didnt. I assumed my trusted mechanic went over all that when I got an oil change and had him run a full diagnostic. He even took it out on the highway and said he didnt notice anything out of the ordinary besides it being a 3cylinder. Of course when I had a new serpentine belt put on, he explained these little engines make weird noises sometimes, theyre basic and reliable, but very unrefined. From the acoustics, I can tell the extra noise is from the engine block, but Im a car hypochondriac so who knows? If I can get both these Mirages to 200k miles with no major drivetrain failures, all my scvhitzing and hand wringing will have served a purpose. You gotta understand, my mother is Jewish, complaining and worrying is practically an olympic sport with us. Think Larry David, Richard Lewis, and Woody Allen, all rolled up into one.