Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G4 engine louder past 75 mph than the hatch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No I didnt. I assumed my trusted mechanic went over all that when I got an oil change and had him run a full diagnostic. He even took it out on the highway and said he didnt notice anything out of the ordinary besides it being a 3cylinder. Of course when I had a new serpentine belt put on, he explained these little engines make weird noises sometimes, theyre basic and reliable, but very unrefined. From the acoustics, I can tell the extra noise is from the engine block, but Im a car hypochondriac so who knows? If I can get both these Mirages to 200k miles with no major drivetrain failures, all my scvhitzing and hand wringing will have served a purpose. You gotta understand, my mother is Jewish, complaining and worrying is practically an olympic sport with us. Think Larry David, Richard Lewis, and Woody Allen, all rolled up into one.
    But you could check it out. Sometimes a careful visual inspection can show a lot, you know? It can help build familiarity and the price is right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I forgot about the intake. I did have a driver say their car was making a weird noise at highway speeds. The snorkel was pretty loose. Just zip tied it to wiring harness temporarily and it shut it up. I've resorted to just turning up the radio to drown out the noise mine makes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It does have a pretty nice horn shape, I imagine it could sing a pretty tune when intake velocities reach a certain point. Would some noise damping material on the horn help, could it hurt performance?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

If it's flapping around, stop it from moving. It's not overly complicated. There are a bunch of threads about wraping tape around the snorkel where it enters the airbox. The rubber mounts wear out too. Easiest just to zip tie it down from the start, less movement=less junk to wear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'll do that when I get home Fummy. See if it makes a difference. If your not too busy send me a pic of how you do it please, when you can.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...sonator-Rattle https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ow-speed/page3

Could just take the snorkel right off and try it that way first. Just give it a shake and see if it's loose first. Or turn up the radio lol. If the noise you hear changes with rpm then we're barking up the wrong tree. As mentioned on another thread, internet diagnosing isn't easy. Especially when it comes to noises.

I have a hard enough time in person at work. Had a driver me they lost the cap for the power steering. When I annoyingly told them the car they drive doesn't have power steering fluid I get a deer in the headlights look. Then they become even more stunned when I remind them this is the 5th time in 6 months I've had to tell them that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-26-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...sonator-Rattle https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ow-speed/page3

Could just take the snorkel right off and try it that way first. Just give it a shake and see if it's loose first. Or turn up the radio lol. If the noise you hear changes with rpm then we're barking up the wrong tree. As mentioned on another thread, internet diagnosing isn't easy. Especially when it comes to noises.

I have a hard enough time in person at work. Had a driver me they lost the cap for the power steering. When I annoyingly told them the car they drive doesn't have power steering fluid I get a deer in the headlights look. Then they become even more stunned when I remind them this is the 5th time in 6 months I've had to tell them that.
    No the rpms sit at 3000 at 70mph just like my hatch. Im going to ziptie that snorkel. Is the snorkel even really needed?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    They designed the tune around it–change or remove it and it may not run right. It also gets fresher air from the front, though maybe not much...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Good points on the snorkel, Nobu - and I agree with you. However, it might be fun to experiment a little.

I would expect more noise problems from the resonator cavity, particularly if it was removed. Which makes me wonder if that resonator box was damaged in any way. I can't tell from here, and am unable to do a visual inspection from here either. If only there were someone willing to look at this, maybe even post some pictures...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)