Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G4 engine louder past 75 mph than the hatch?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

G4 engine louder past 75 mph than the hatch?

Hi fellas, I got a break right now so I thought I'd pose this question. I had the G4 out on the highway the other night. Doing about 75 mph and I noticed the roar of it was more pronounced than my hatchback. When I dropped it down to 70 mph it quieted down again. When I drove my hatch on the same highway at 75 mph my engine sounded the same, smooth as butter. At first I just thought it was wind, road, tire noise that was making the engine roar at 75 mph but my hatch, on the same stretch of highway, matched speed, didn't exhibit this? I'm just worried because the G4 had an engine replaced Feb of 2019. A week before we bought it. I checked the coolant reservoir, there was fluid in it. I'm taking it in for an oil change next week too. Any thoughts? I could make a youtube vid.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    There's no vibrations or anything and once I drop it back down to 70 mph the roaring sound goes away and it sounds normal.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Did you look at the engine speed in both vehicles? RPM can vary between vehicles with a CVT transmission at the same speed, even with the same body style. With one being a hatch and the other a sedan, I wouldn't be surprised if they were programmed differently, or behaved differently even with the same programming.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure it's the engine, not the drone of the CVT. I'm getting it checked out tomorrow.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    The RPMs are at 3000 to 3200 in both vehicles at 75 mph. The engine roar is more pronounced for the G4 at matching rpm and speed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the engine, not the drone of the CVT. I'm getting it checked out tomorrow.
    Yeah, just wanted to be sure one wasn't running 1-2k rpm higher for some reason.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Any thoughts? I could make a youtube vid.
    No youtube video necessary haha!

I would have thought you'd get more road noise in the hatch. The sedan has a trunk to muffle the road noise in the back.

As far as I know the G4 and the hatch are the same car.. and both had upgraded engines back in 2017 I believe. I have the 2014 Mirage and the less HP engine. Do you have the higher HP motor in the G4? Maybe they tweaked it, so it's meant to be louder now?

Can you get stuff through the trunk and into the passenger area.. like long stuff? That's why I love hatch Mirage, for the 60/40 cargo space.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I'm getting it checked out right now. Will post results.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    We my trusted mech said there was nothing wrong with the engine, it's just a 3cyl and will be noticeable louder going from 70 to 75 mph. One thing though, I noticed he only pit in 3 quarts of full synthetic, not 3.2 quarts. He said don't worry about it? Mmmmmmm.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-23-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We my trusted mech said there was nothing wrong with the engine, it's just a 3cyl and will be noticeable louder going from 70 to 75 mph. One thing though, I noticed he only pit in 3 quarts of full synthetic, not 3.2 quarts. He said don't worry about it? Mmmmmmm.
    No news is good news, Dirk.

At 75+ mph, my Mirage makes a good amount of noise, and I'm cruising at over 4000 rpm in 5th gear (overdrive). Closer to 5 grand the faster I go, I was buzzing it through Flint last summer at those speeds with the windows down, stereo full-blast arcade fire, and I couldn't hear a thing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)