Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Touch screens in cars should be illegal

I helped my 85 year-old dad pick out his current car -- 2006 Camry. One reason: 3 knobs and a couple of buttons for HVAC, and a conventional radio with knobs & buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    too much of a hassle to tray and use the radio while driving
    At least most cars with touch-screen audio have steering wheel buttons for volume, station scanning & mode selection. But good luck getting an 85 year-old to start using that stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I agree to the agreeing. When my mom got her 2015 Corolla a few years ago I did the shopping for her and wanted her to have a car with that fancy touch display and rear camera. I wish I never would have picked out that car for her. It is too much of a hassle to tray and use the radio while driving, and honestly I don't feel safe using the thing.

Next car I get, or her, I guarantee you it won't have a touch display. Its just too dangerous.

EDIT: The rest of the car is well built and solid. Its just the touch screen that I have a problem with. Playing with a computer while driving is dangerous!

I don't care for the latest trend in vehicles, & I am not alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcszMakTHCw&t=1s

The popularity of the first video sparked a second one almost immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kXvFRwM7fM&t=3s

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-24-2020),Top_Fuel (03-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Hey Mark...those were both really good videos. Some of those things I didn't even know existed...like CVTs "faking" shift points to mimic an automatic transmission. I also forgot that some cars have phony engine noise pumped through the speakers...lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hey Mark...those were both really good videos. Some of those things I didn't even know existed...like CVTs "faking" shift points to mimic an automatic transmission. I also forgot that some cars have phony engine noise pumped through the speakers...lol.
    Thanks! His presentation is much more pleasant than Scotty!

I sort of like some of the other Savage Geese reviews, too.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I think CVTs (at least some) do have "shift points", but what's actually happening is the belt is going over a ledge in the pully that changes the ratio. This allows you a greater range of ratios in a smaller area, possibly reduces wear too, as long as you don't dog it on the ledges.

Edit:hrm, can't find anything to support that. Was sure I read/saw that somewhere. Oh well, disregard.
    Last edited by Nobu; 03-24-2020 at 11:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

My aunt has an Audi A4 (2004 model) with a CVT that's so convincing at fake shifts that I had to double-check to confirm it wasn't a conventional transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CVT's that fake shift are so damn stupid. It makes no sense for it to do that.

However, touch screens aren't that bad I don't think. I like when cars have buttons on the steering wheel for basic functions though. The worst interface I've seen is the new Mazdas. They have a touch screen that stops working when you move and you have to use this control thing in the center console that makes no sense. It's way more dangerous than poking the screen when moving.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Touch screens provide no haptic feedback and this is what you need while driving if you don't want to look away. The worst touch systems are the ones that disable specific settings while driving without telling you so you spend more time trying to figure out why the setting isn't working and searching the menus!

It is also very annoying the car can tell a passenger is sitting there for airbag purposes but wont unlock said features.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    CVT's that fake shift are so damn stupid. It makes no sense for it to do that.

However, touch screens aren't that bad I don't think. I like when cars have buttons on the steering wheel for basic functions though. The worst interface I've seen is the new Mazdas. They have a touch screen that stops working when you move and you have to use this control thing in the center console that makes no sense. It's way more dangerous than poking the screen when moving.
    You could go on & on about how great touch screens are, & it wouldn't change my opinion of them. Touch screens do not belong on the dashes of vehicles. I would like to say my middle school students and young driver's ed. students are the only ones distracted by screens, but adults are just as bad if not worst.

I had a loaner vehicle some time ago that had a touch screen. I found the dash of the car to be very distracting & annoying. It also had lane departure warning, adaptive cruise, and auto braking. Those are wonderful safety features, but it's no substitute for being alert in a car. Touch screens require to much attention to operate. They don't belong in cars.

Touch screens & electronic parking brakes should disappear. If a car's main brakes went out, manual parking brakes (also called emergency brakes) allowed the driver to manipulate the stopping of the vehicle. Different amount of pressure allows to control your stop in the case of an emergency. Having driven manuals my entire life, you find yourself relying on the parking brake more. An electronic parking brake that locks up the rear wheels when a button is pushed is not something I would ever want on a car. Not everything on a vehicle should be electronically controlled.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Woah, fun when you see a topic you started but never did. That moment of "did I get hacked" before opening.

While I don't like them, as a libertarian declaring something illegal just by being frivolous and annoying is taking it too far.

Safety wise: If you can't text and drive that should carry over to other in vehicle touchscreens as well.

In all honesty, texting is not the problem, averting your eyes is. I see absolutely no issue if you have an old T9 keypad phone and can text blind just taking one hand off the wheel. Texting is a problem because you need to look at your phone to type... That logic applies to all touchscreens in a car. As a radio fine, you can suffer through a song you don't like without NEEDING to interact with it, though buttons remain superior.

The horrid stupidity comes from the likes of Tesla who thinks: Eh, let's save .84 cents per car and not include a windshield wiper stalk, they can select it in the infotainment menus.Since obviously it's prime time to ignore the road and fumble through menus when you suddenly find yourself in a downpour at 70 mph

Vacuum fluorescence displays are the best! But, the standard pixelized monocrome LCD of the Mirage is fine.