Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Touch screens in cars should be illegal

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9
    There is an A&W restaurant nearby that you can see the whole plant and it's impressive.
    Going to Ingersoll is a stop I was planning on making . That'll need to be my lunch stop then.

Would be bonus points for going in a Metro and taking it back to it's birthplace, but that trip will have to be in my Mirage, as I'll have to drive my Black collector to my parents to get my Mirage. Leaving me with the green car that might have a clutch or engine failure at any moment, and my Red one that's one good pothole away from having a wheel detach. Besides if I'm wrong and its not just the 3 components to swap the whole trip would be for nothing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-28-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post

Would be bonus points for going in a Metro and taking it back to it's birthplace, but that trip will have to be in my Mirage
    Lots of good farmland in the area, and also lots of automotive industry. Shut down for a bit at the moment. Wally is from Niagara escarpment so it's cool geography you will see. Niagara Falls is a must of course.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    looks like an auto manufacturer is thinking the same thing re: touchscreen controls

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...creen-controls

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kantoozi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-31-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Agreed. It's a stupid, stupid fad. A reckoning is coming:

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ap...an-drugs-study
    But........you can f*ck around with a touch screen and nearly kill someone legally but don't DARE even TOUCH your godd*mn cellular phone. Even if it's on a holder.

I'm glad I'm a ham. I can legally screw around with nearly any device while I'm driving, as long as it RECEIVES any sort of signal.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-31-2020),MetroMPG (03-31-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm really not sure what'd happen? I've never worried about it when going to another province. I've got a sibling that was hospitalized while visiting in bc a few years ago, they were covered I believe without too much of a hassle.

I've seen some pretty decent backup cameras and ones with the all around view with cameras everywhere but many are built to just meet the min requirment and are pretty low resolution.

For the voice commands, I have a buddy with a newer model Dodge and he had a hell of a time trying to make a phone call. After a few minutes gave up after it couldn't understand wth he was saying.

The only thing I use a smart speaker thing for is to set timers for cooking garbage in the oven. Works good for that at least.
    The provinces all have agreements among themselves to cover us if we crap out while out of our regular province. ALL healthcare money is federal , at least in Ontario.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by kantoozi View Post
    looks like an auto manufacturer is thinking the same thing re: touchscreen controls

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...creen-controls
    Yay! I just saw that as well.

---

And Wally is right: it's ridiculous that using a mounted cell phone is against the law in some places, but operating the #*$& idiotic iPad glued to the dash of a Model 3 (that runs the entire freaking car) is somehow acceptable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like Mazda is thinking about this too, not just Honda. Cool! https://www.motorbiscuit.com/honda-a...knobs-finally/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emki View Post
    Looks like Mazda is thinking about this too, not just Honda. Cool! https://www.motorbiscuit.com/honda-a...knobs-finally/
    I've never owned a Mazda, but now I have a second reason (if they back off on touchscreens) to like them. Reason number one is Mazda isn't crazy about using a CVT in their cars.

If they can mandate backup cameras, they can make touchscreens illegal. Sadly, the two items tend to go together, but it doesn't have to be that way. Having an iPad like device stuck on the dash of a car is really stupid!

A driver shouldn't be operating anything with a touchscreen. Doesn't matter what the device is.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Most of the backup cameras on our fleet vehicles are integrated with the rear view mirror. Out of necessity, I guess – most don't have a screen on the dash. The image is pretty small, but honestly I kinda like it that way – one less direction to break my neck looking around while I reverse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I think it's OK for the head unit to be a screen, where the backup camera can display output.

So long as the controls themselves are manual, I see no problem with a fullscreen 2Din head unit.