Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Touch screens in cars should be illegal

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any backup cam I've seen has a pretty poor quality video. The standard pixelated monochrome display of the base mirage radio could just as well be upgraded to 256 or 65536 color pixels and remain touchless. Think of it like the TI-84 vs TI-Nspire.

And the glare oh that drove me nuts too. Driving in the dark of night and having an always on glow in the edge of your view while looking at the road... I wasn't even the one driving but I ended up taking off my hat to cover the everglowing annoyance. Sure the monochrome LCD does that too but the orange backlight isn't as fatiguing.

Even my 1995 Geo Delco radio dims its display when the headlights are on. They sorely either need to give a dial for screen brightness or implement a computer style screensaver after 2 minutes of non use.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-27-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would not be surprised if higher-end cars have better resolution on their cameras these days, and the 2 rental cars I have had the past 3 years had mediocre pixel quality at best. Even the text on the screen saying "check your surroundings" was not particularly sharp or clear picture compared to what a camera can do these days. On my RVR rental and on my Santa Fe rental last year on my vacation.

I wouldn't mind picking up a Mirage aftermarket touchscreen if it still came with a CD player, and they had the dual screen with CD player, and now Mirage in Canada is only touchscreen now. So I think that's regressive for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I'm really not sure what'd happen? I've never worried about it when going to another province. I've got a sibling that was hospitalized while visiting in bc a few years ago, they were covered I believe without too much of a hassle.

I've seen some pretty decent backup cameras and ones with the all around view with cameras everywhere but many are built to just meet the min requirment and are pretty low resolution.

For the voice commands, I have a buddy with a newer model Dodge and he had a hell of a time trying to make a phone call. After a few minutes gave up after it couldn't understand wth he was saying.

The only thing I use a smart speaker thing for is to set timers for cooking garbage in the oven. Works good for that at least.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe it's regressive sure. But with my analog "steam gauge" Instrument cluster, AM/FM transistor radio with 2" VFD screen, manual steering, throttle cable attaching the TBI to the gas pedal, and a clutch cable connecting to the transmission, and 3 cylinder engine getting me a lifetime average of 51 mpg, and manual windows I'm as happy as can be .

All the stuff they add to cars now doesn't increase it's car-ness. A cars job is to move when you need it to move and to stop when you need it to stop. Be robust enough to endure mile after mile and haul groceries friends and family while doing so.

You don't buy a car to play fruit ninja on your Android headunit. You don't buy a car to talk with Cortana. You shouldn't buy a car that's more than a quarter your net annual income. Nor should you give up your agency to a computer that might one day decide that the side of a semi looks like the sky and... Too soon?

Articles report that younger people are less interested in cars these days. That obviously isn't so for me, but, from an industry point of view, I would appear to be in that group. They aren't making what I want, so... Maybe there is a strong demand for simple cars but people just accept that manufacturers don't care so they go and get a 90s Civic, Metro, or Aspire. Or find their transport needs met by a Cobalt, Corolla, Rio, Neon or Saturn. It might make some effort but manufacturers can absolutely make whatever they want, that's what their lobbyists jobs are.

While I like the power locks of the Mirage and how quiet it is while driving I didn't get the same sense of joy. It gets another chance to grow on me this summer, but, it is on the edge of what I could accept, and besides the similarly basic for the times I-Miev nothing recent appeals to me. My thought process seems logical and pragmatic but call it regressive , doesn't bother me.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I like the 2" orange VFP screen myself, and how in extreme cold weather, the digital gauge has a pause and fade to the blocky text. It's an amusing piece of tech if there is one. I find the whole Mirage is a parts bin car with a good wind tunnel design. I get similar MPG as you do in my own 5 speed manual Mirage, and the revving my Mirage makes the car fun. Vague steering in my Mirage, that's the only thing I don't like, is the feel for the centre of the wheel is so absent.

They built the Metro around 75 kms or 40 miles from my house. 80s era and huge GM Suzuki plant that makes Equinoxes now. There is an A&W restaurant nearby that you can see the whole plant and it's impressive.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-27-2020 at 10:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

There's a lot of big words there! I agree, younger people don't pay attention I'm sure. I'm almost 40 and eat crayons so I don't know what category I fall into. I have a hard time walking and chewing gum let alone figure out how to use a touch screen. Some are insanely discractive requiring going through menu after menu to do a simple task.
    I like some features but do not want a touch screen, back up camera would be nice though for hitching up trailers. The back bumper of my truck would thank me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9
    Vague steering in my Mirage, that's the only thing I don't like
    Manual steering could fix that, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins
    There's a lot of big words there!
    I hope I don't come across as abrasive in this, and many of my posts.

"The true designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add but nothing left to take away "
    Last edited by MacClyver; 03-27-2020 at 10:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    . Manual steering could fix that, sigh.

I hope I don't come across as abrasive in this, and many of my posts.
    A car as light and small as a Mirage doesn't really need power steering (electric steering). Outside of maneuvers like parallel parking, the Mirage would most likely handle much better on the road with manual steering. Power steering is just one of many things that many people feel a car must have.

I miss base level cars. They don't really exist any more.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Manual steering could fix that, sigh.
    My first car was a 1985 VW Rabbit, and it had manual steering. The feel is terrific on the highway, but manual steering is a pain in a parking lot, and at slow speeds. You know you can drive a car when you have a manual tranny, manual steering economy car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My first car was a 1985 VW Rabbit, and it had manual steering. The feel is terrific on the highway, but manual steering is a pain in a parking lot, and at slow speeds. You know you can drive a car when you have a manual tranny, manual steering economy car!
    I had a 1997 VW Golf for a few years. It was probably the best handling car I have ever own. It's weight and wide tires wouldn't have done well with manual steering, however.

My experience with manual steering would be a 1990 Ford Festiva that had a curb weight of 1,713 pounds and skinny 145SR12 tires. Keep in mind, this cheap economy car was designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford. Mazda cars are known for good handling.

It's the electric steering on the Mirage that makes it a bit lame. I am ok with it, but it's not one of the best features of the car.