Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)

There's a whole world out there. In some places there's white fluffy stuff that falls from the sky when it's cold out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_removal

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I sound like a broken record on this one, but anyone buying a new Mirage ought to consider Krown rust control, or some similar method. Oil spray from the inside, when done properly, saves your car. My Mirage is 6+ years old and looks almost new underneath. And from the outside the doors etc everything is perfect.

Also I think the Dodge Caliber has a lot shared with the Mitsubishi Lancer, I read that in the Lemon Aid used car guide.
    Heeeey, I'm glad i'm not the only one who swears by Krown.

If you buy a car in Eastern Canada and *don't* do some sort of rust proofing there's a good chance it will be spotted like a jersey cow in 2-3 years, and swiss cheese in another.

It's quite normal to see Mazdas and Fords here that are less than 5 years old with bondo jobs to pass safety inspection.... rust ingress / holes are considered a safety issue here, so if your car is crusty enough, it won't be allowed on the road.

That's why here, it's totally worth getting Krown rust proofing done, it's way cheaper than body work later on.

I've had my Mirage done every year since I bought it back in 2015 and looks *mint* underneath and above.

Not only does it keep the body from rusting out, but it also coats the electronics & wires and keeps water out of that stuff too.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 04-14-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Mirage's body seems fine to me. However, all the removable parts, like nuts, pipes and so on. Those are corroded easily with no doubt. I have seen units at a local dealer that are all rusty on rear torsion bar. Since the first day of delivery, I have spray down all areas I can reach. Hope this will help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES Limited 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MigWay View Post
    Mirage's body seems fine to me. However, all the removable parts, like nuts, pipes and so on. Those are corroded easily with no doubt. I have seen units at a local dealer that are all rusty on rear torsion bar. Since the first day of delivery, I have spray down all areas I can reach. Hope this will help.
    Against some people's recommendations, the wheel hubs of my fiesta also rusted like crazy.
    One day, I just scrubbed them clean, and spray painted them with plastidip.
    Did the same thing to a bench we have in the yard, people saying online it rusted in 2 weeks!
    Well, no rust at all!
    Simple plastidip is very effective, except in the underpart where lots of rocks or pebbles could penetrate and scratch through the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by MigWay View Post
    The only rusty bolt I had to cut on a Mirage so far has been on the trailing axle. One of the lower shock bolts siezed to the shock bushing. The car was sitting for 6 months to a year so that likely didn't help things.
    If I were an over anal keener(or even just cared a little bit more about things) I'd pull out the every bolt I may have to remove under the car and gob it with anti seize. But thinking ahead is against my religion.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-16-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I posted a couple more pics in post #2, and saved the best for last:

I confirmed that the subframe has lots of road grit inside. It's going to rust from the inside out.

This is a disaster waiting to happen on these cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    That exhaust pipe looks like it's 40 years old. I haven't replaced an exhaust component on a car in over 20 years. The steel quality in exhaust systems is much better than it used to be. But it's looking like the Mirage may be an exception...lol.

I helped someone sell a Jeep recently and I couldn't believe how badly the frame had rusted on it. There were a couple of sections that rotted out completely...from the inside.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Wow, that's ugly. I'd swear it was either flood damaged or parked primarily over tall wet grass. But it's just because Ontario lol. It ate the coating right off the bolt heads!
    Mirage videos:

Yeah, Mirage exhaust isn't stainless.

The factory stainless exhaust on my Firefly lasted about 15 years. The replacement (not stainless) looks like it'll be toast in about 3-5.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It was Mitsubishi's model used for Canadian beach advertisements - it was ran through the water for the splashy effect.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)