Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 2014 has the above the rear wheel arch rust. No perforation, yet.
    Both Mirages have rusty useless "chrome plated" lugnuts.

My '17, with 63kms, has a surprising number of above the windshield chips. Over all my '17 has more rust, even though it has been oilsprayed 3X compared to my '14 with 240kms and was NEVER undercoated.

That indicates very poor initial and final QC in the factory, Add in the scuffed piston problem, the plugged passenger side of the HVAC unit, the bent rear axles, have I forgotten anything? I'm ready to believe the old rumor about any car built on a Monday or a Friday was loaded with problems.

OTOH there are plenty of Mirages surviving for 400+ kms so they certainly can't all be problematic.

The front subframe rust concerns me greatly. If it's a bolt in-out repair then no big deal, otherwise, UGH

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    My 2014 has the above the rear wheel arch rust. No perforation, yet.
    Both Mirages have rusty useless "chrome plated" lugnuts.

My '17, with 63kms, has a surprising number of above the windshield chips. Over all my '17 has more rust, even though it has been oilsprayed 3X compared to my '14 with 240kms and was NEVER undercoated.

That indicates very poor initial and final QC in the factory, Add in the scuffed piston problem, the plugged passenger side of the HVAC unit, the bent rear axles, have I forgotten anything? I'm ready to believe the old rumor about any car built on a Monday or a Friday was loaded with problems.

OTOH there are plenty of Mirages surviving for 400+ kms so they certainly can't all be problematic.

The front subframe rust concerns me greatly. If it's a bolt in-out repair then no big deal, otherwise, UGH
    The front sub frame is bolt in/out.

^ Fortunately, applying an anti-rust spray inside the cavities will prevent an owner having to bolt it in and out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You can use fluid film with the optional 360 degree nozzle to spray inside the holes of the box sections and cross member to coat the inside. The rubberized underproofing will trap moisture and create rot from the inside out.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ^ Fortunately, applying an anti-rust spray inside the cavities will prevent an owner having to bolt it in and out.
    Methinks I'll beg my friend to use his hoist and do my own oil spraying late summer. My local Krown dealers are a joke, so stingy with the fluid. They didn't even do the underside of the hood.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Wheel arch rust spotted on a 2015 Mirage found for sale near Montreal...

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 3.00.59 PM.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  30.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

A couple of the work cars have some blisters in the same spot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Crosspost!

I noticed a piece of mine has literally fallen apart due to rust!

Attachment 23024

The other light is dangling behind the bumper cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Wheel arch rust spotted on a 2015 Mirage found for sale near Montreal...

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 3.00.59 PM.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  30.6 KB
    Almost time for some fender flares
    Attachment 23224

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-15-2022)

I should post a pic of mine again... I sanded, epoxied & brush painted that spot in the fall, but rust broke through over the winter again. Looks like poop, especially because of the white paint.