Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rust proofed the drip rails from the inside today. have a tendency to collect massive amounts of junk in the front tire area. There is a plug to the rear of the front tire, and 2 plugs to the front of the rear tire. used a modified hand pump garden weed sprayer to get all the way in.

you guys are right i shouldve painted the drums

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 07-27-2023 at 05:42 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-27-2023),MetroMPG (03-20-2024)

Country
    France
    Thanks
    Hi everyone. I got a 2020 model, I use to clean under the car often to avoid winter salt on road. I just look exactly at the point you all mention and discover some little begin of rust, and very much on what is holding the gaz tank.

I would like to scratch the rust and put on some anti-rust product, do you know if it's enough to avoid more rust in the future?

I see some of you speaked about rust on "interior" parts, I recommand you to wash the interior of the doors, because little particule find easily a spot in there, so it can rust easily too, just like you mention all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-07-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu View Post
    Hi everyone. I got a 2020 model, I use to clean under the car often to avoid winter salt on road. I just look exactly at the point you all mention and discover some little begin of rust, and very much on what is holding the gaz tank.

I would like to scratch the rust and put on some anti-rust product, do you know if it's enough to avoid more rust in the future?

I see some of you speaked about rust on "interior" parts, I recommand you to wash the interior of the doors, because little particule find easily a spot in there, so it can rust easily too, just like you mention all.
    Hi Mitsu. I live in Germany where there is more salt on the roads than in France, unless you live in the alps close to the Italian border. Regular spray cleaning is a brilliant idea!
    Mine is from 2014 and has totally zero rust! This is what was done in very short form:

The underside including axle bodies were pressure cleaned and brush painted with undercoat, Product Hammerite Rust Blocker.
    Then it was painted again by paint brush, Product Hammerite Metal Paint. There are other good products available. Ask your local painter.
    Wheel wells or other places can be treated the same way if needed. See pictures in post 81 further up. Note: Rattle-can spray paint is not good for this because the resulting paint layer is much too thin!

Next thing is the cavities. All cavities need to be rustproofed with rattle-can wax. There are several good and inexpensive products, Teroson for example. Three large cans including a long tube or nozzle should be enough. Have a look from underneath and you will see where many cavities are. Do not forget the rearmost corners, and the seams around the rear wheels, these both from inside the car. Then look at the doors. Only the seams really need it.

There are a few other threads about rust or rustproofing in this forum, and they are all very informative and worthwhile to look at. Use the search function to find them.
    Last edited by foama; 09-07-2023 at 06:17 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-07-2023),Mitsu (09-08-2023)

foama - how many kilometers on your car now? Yours will be the last Mirage/Space Star standing, with your rust-proofing efforts!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-07-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    foama - how many kilometers on your car now? Yours will be the last Mirage/Space Star standing, with your rust-proofing efforts!
    Important is rustproofing it early, before rust has a chance to get at it. Doing it early also means it doesn't take much effort and is totally worthwhile.
    It has only about 140 000km on it, and is in perfect condition with practically no signs of any wear. I bought it when I retired and don't have to go to work daily any more, am only doing consultancy jobs or helping them out in peak times. Just the serpentine belt (alternator) was renewed to be safe. Other than that only consumables were replaced, such as brake linings, tyres, etc. The exhaust is rust free and original, also painted when new and touched-up every few years or so.
    It is not really very much effort to keep it it mint condition, but pays in the long run.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-08-2023),MightyMirageMpg (09-08-2023)

Country
    France
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for your advice, Foama. I see you treat your car in a thorough way. I just buy some Rubson Frameto, I don't know if it's a good product for this exact purpose. I will try to find in store the product you talked me about. I discover in the forum research they offer to buy a anti-rust treatement in some country when you buy your Mirage/SpaceStar. It was not my case in France. If only I know about it when buying it, I would have do that the day I get it.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-08-2023)

Wish I'd had a camera...

Today I saw the first Mirage that had terrible amateur rust repairs on the rear wheel arches - both sides.

The driver's side was worse - he'd even tack welded some sheet metal over the rust hole! Patch was about the size of the palm of your hand. And then spray primered over the whole mess.

It was a 2014 model. First Mirage I've seen in person that gave that junker vibe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-21-2024),Top_Fuel (03-21-2024)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My latest video on the Mirage is mainly about rust. These cars hold up better then most..............

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-21-2024),Dookaughs (03-21-2024),inuvik (03-21-2024)