Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Mark,
    . . . . I have two options. Let them total the car and take procession of it. My GAP insurance pays off the balance of the car and I am on foot. I have Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, heart disease, and my metabolism is messed. I can't walk very far, I can't stand for more than a minute or so at a time, I can't handle the cold very well, and I can't stand high heat indexes. No car is a death sentence for me.
    . . . . The other option is to take a check towards the repairs and I retain ownership of the car. I still have my car payment. The total amount will be some percentage of the value of the vehicle minus a salvage value. Probably around 9K. By doing most of the work myself and subletting out the repairs for the radiator support and paint work I can put the car back to like new condition for that. I also have to sublet to a glass shop. The headliner was damaged when the side curtain air bag deployed. Getting the old headliner out is no problem You can cut it up and take it out in pieces. It is installing the new headliner that is the problem. Either the windshield or the rear window will have to be removed. If you bend the headliner you have ruined it. It is made of a thick fiber type of material that doesn't take kindly to being bent. Then the window has to be reinstalled.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    P.S. Anyone out there want to help??
    rich!
    I don't know how much you have invested in your Mirage? I assume you made a trade & a few payments. If you walk away (literally) from the car & let AF pay off the loan, how much investment in the car will you lose?

If that's to personal, you don't have to share that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . No not at all! They gave me 3,500 for the Protege. Mitsubishi had a $1,000 rebate, and Mad City gave me a 10% discount for being a Veteran that was 1,500. So I was given 6K towards the car. I haven't made any payments. My first payment was due on April 24th. It is now due June 24th. I will lose my trade in of 3,500. I don't know if the rebate is still available. Of course the discount will still be there. I am of course going to get 1,200 from the CARES act but I don't know when and 1,200 plus the few hundred that I have won't put me in a car. I am very impressed with the Mirage and I plan on getting another one or repairing this one. It would take me months to save up 3,500 or 4,000 for a down payment. Meanwhile I will be stuck. I have electronic and model railroad stuff that I am trying to sell off but that is up in the air and slow going.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . No not at all! They gave me 3,500 for the Protege. Mitsubishi had a $1,000 rebate, and Mad City gave me a 10% discount for being a Veteran that was 1,500. So I was given 6K towards the car. I haven't made any payments. My first payment was due on April 24th. It is now due June 24th. I will lose my trade in of 3,500. I don't know if the rebate is still available. Of course the discount will still be there. I am of course going to get 1,200 from the CARES act but I don't know when and 1,200 plus the few hundred that I have won't put me in a car. I am very impressed with the Mirage and I plan on getting another one or repairing this one. It would take me months to save up 3,500 or 4,000 for a down payment. Meanwhile I will be stuck. I have electronic and model railroad stuff that I am trying to sell off but that is up in the air and slow going.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    If you don't mind, I am going to ask clarification on all this because I don't buy cars this way.

Apparently, you bought a $15,000 Mirage from Mad City, because you stated you got $1,500 (10%) off for being a veteran. Another $1,000 rebate was added to that. Thus, you received $2,500 in rebates/discounts. Plus, you were given $3,500 for your trade.

$15,000 - $6,000 = $9,000

I question why this is considered gap insurance? Gap insurance is for when you owe way more than what a car is worth. How much is your loan for this car?

Let's say you traded in an $8,000 vehicle for the same Mirage? You wanted to go from a pickup truck to a small car. $8,000 + $2,500 in rebates/discounts. You're left with a $4,500 loan. A couple weeks later you total the car. Would you expect $4,500 from AF?

How much money did it take to finance this $9,000 car deal for you? What did the car cost you going out the door?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . My credit isn't very good so the interest rate on my loan is a little over 16%. The interest on the loan is a little over 5.5K. The payoff on the loan is a little over 14,500. If the insurance company pays 10K towards the loan that still leaves almost 5K for the GAP insurance to cover. I was upside down when I signed the papers but it what was necessary to get me into a new car. A car that was supposed to last me until I was called home by GOD.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . My credit isn't very good so the interest rate on my loan is a little over 16%. The interest on the loan is a little over 5.5K. The payoff on the loan is a little over 14,500. If the insurance company pays 10K towards the loan that still leaves almost 5K for the GAP insurance to cover. I was upside down when I signed the papers but it what was necessary to get me into a new car. A car that was supposed to last me until I was called home by GOD.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    $15,000 Mirage
    -$2,500 rebates/discounts
    -$3,500 trade in
    $14,500 loan

If gap insurance allows you to walk away (literally) from this deal & owe nothing, I would not rule that out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . The problem is if I do that then I don't have a car and I have no means of getting a car. I am on foot and that is a death sentence for me. My car is badly damaged but it is still drive-able. So I have a very tough decision to make. I will know more this afternoon after I talk to AF and find out how much they are going to pay.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Really sorry to hear what happened! I hope you can work things out in your favour.
    On the upside, mechanic probably knows very well how to get it usable again. Terrible lot of work, but a bit of light at the end of the tunnel helps keep you going.

I'm almost mechanic's age myself and just finished putting a rust bucket of a family member in order. Couldn't afford a better one. It is a 2008 model and had enormous rust just about everywhere, axles rusted through, body undescribable, etc. Took about four and a half weeks from morning to night to de-rust, weld, undercoat and paint that thing underneath. Painting was by brush, two layers of the same sort of paint used for steel bridges. It could now possibly outlast me.
    Last edited by foama; 04-17-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Mark...seems like one option would be buying a new Mirage at White Bear Mitsubishi. They are selling manual transmission ES models for $11,999 right now...and that's before a $500 military discount and a $250 Mitsubishi loyalty discount (and he qualifies for both). So his price might be $11,250.

If the gap insurance will let him walk away with zero debt from his current situation, then starting over with a lower priced Mirage seems like the way to go. Even if he has to finance the entire vehicle cost and sales tax, it will still be a couple of grand lower than his current loan payoff, right?

Name:  deal.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  81.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I just saw this thread, sorry to hear about your wreck. Glad you're alright thought. I don't know if you priced out any parts for these things yet but you might want to before starting that project. Unless you can source out all the parts used and the right color or you have a really good friend who's a body and paint guy, you might be better off just walking away from that thing.

16% interest?????????? Does anyone else find this insanely high or is this a normal thing? I know not everyone has great credit but had no idea interest could be that high on a car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    16% interest...had no idea interest could be that high on a car.
    If your credit isn't the best, the numbers can get that crazy. And this is probably one of the best environments to borrow money right now.

If the dealer that sold it to him was less than honest (Mad City doesn't have the greatest reputation from what some people have mentioned), there's a possibility that the real interest rate was a couple of points lower...and the dealer jacked it up to make more money on the deal. Here is an explanation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)