Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    How and where did you mount it?
    Check this thread for a couple of mounting options.

I've been using a ScanGauge in my cars going back to the late 1990s. I really like knowing the coolant temperature in my Mirage because the total coolant capacity is barely more than 1 gallon (in manual transmission models).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top Fuel,
    . . . . How and where did you mount your Scan Gauge?
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My ScanGauge is actually mounted into the instrument panel trim piece in front of the speedometer cluster. You can see pictures in THIS post.

I am going to post some instructions on how I did this. Now that I'm stuck inside my house, I have plenty of time to finally do it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top Fuel,
    . . . . You removed the bezel and cut away a section of the bezel but how is the Scan Gauge mounted to the bezel? Also where is the OBD port located on a 2019 Mirage? Sorry to be a pain!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

ObdII is under the dash on the drivers side. I can't remember exactly if it's right or left of the st column. It's not too hard to spot. I believe it points straight down? But I'm probably wrong lol.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...on-where-is-it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top Fuel,
    . . . . Your link was helpful. Did you also cut away the steering column cover?
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Mirage/page10 see post #91

Edit: Reading is hard for me. I just realised you said column cover. I'll go back to licking windows now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Mark,
    . . . . I just finished watching the video. Handy little gadget. I just have to save the money for one. Do you have one?
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

I don't own one, but I also miss engine temperature gauges. Neither my Forester or Mirage have them. Dashes seemed to be cluttered with other stuff these days. I like voltage, engine temperature, and oil pressure gauges. The scan gauge Top Fuel has shared is probably more accurate than the old time analog gauges. I just like the simplicity of the old time gauges. With a simple glance, one knew everything was OK. I am not a big fan of idiot lights.

I'm old school. I am the first to admit it!

Top Fuel has some really good threads on this forum. He does a really nice job of explaining things The ones on TPMS & engine block heater have been especially helpful to me.

I don't mean to slight anyone else. Several members share wonderful stuff. Fummins has a wealth of knowledge working on a fleet of Mirages. Overall, it's a very nice forum to be a part of! Glad you have joined us!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I also like having plenty of gauges. When I built my RX-3 I installed a full suite of Steward Warner Gauges in the Center Dash Area. There were three gauges to a row. The First row had Water Temp, Oil Pressure, and Oil Temp in that order. The Second Row had Fuel Level, Volt, and Amp meters in it. The third Row had Fuel Pressure, Boost Pressure, and Exhaust Temp. Below that were the HVAC Controls and below that was a Blauplant AM/FM Cassette Player. I used an 1/8 inch thick Aluminum panel for the center dash section. Instead of running the current for the illumination lights through a rheostat as was common at the time I use a PWM circuit to control the current to the lights.
    . . . . I forgot to tell you about the 4.53 gears and limit slip diff that I had installed in my RX-3. I also had traction bars or more commonly known as wheelly bars installed on it. It would leave the line with the left front tire off of the ground and the right tire was just barely touching. This was with 225 BF Goodrich T/As on the rear. What a car!!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...Did you also cut away the steering column cover?
    No. The only thing you have to trim is the the little "shelf" in front of the speedometer.

Now...before everyone recoils in horror because I cut my dash, it's a separate trim piece from the dash. Here's the dash with the trim piece removed...

Name:  Empty Dash.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  48.1 KB

Let me also mention that this trim piece (Part # 8060A115XA) only costs $13 from Mitsubishi. It's amazing...but there is an OEM part that costs under $20!

Here's the Reader's Digest version of how to do it (I will post a more detailed version in a separate thread...the details will help prevent you from ruining your trim piece like I did on my first attempt!):

1. Remove the trim piece around the speedometer cluster. It's only held in with clips molded into the trim. Just grab it somewhere and start pulling! It's a very robust trim piece. You couldn't break it if you wanted to. If your car has a push-button start, you'll have to disconnect the start button wiring harness connector to get the trim out of the car.

2. Cut a wedge into the lower leading edge of the trim piece and fine-tune the size of the opening with coarse-grit sandpaper on a sanding block. The wedge needs to be a snug fit on the sides of the ScanGauge. Friction is the only thing that holds the gauge in place. You don't have to glue it or do anything to hold it in place. It won't go anywhere if you take your time with this step. Here's what it looks like...

Name:  IMG_3014.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  edge.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3018.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  48.3 KB

3. Connect the OBDII plug to the vehicle port and run the other end of the wire up to the top of the steering column.

4. Put the modified trim piece back into the dash.

5. Connect the OBDII wire to the rear connector of the Scangauge and push it into the wedge you just cut.

6. Start driving!

Name:  done.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  48.8 KB
    In this pic I have it set up to read coolant temp, voltage, instant MPG and intake air temp.

There's a lot of wasted space between the cluster trim and the top of the steering column. You can still adjust the steering column up/down with no issues. And because you haven't glued the Scangauge in place, you can tilt it to fit your preferred driving position.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-04-2020)