Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top Fuel,
    . . . . Is it possible to get your first name? Very nicely done. I am going to use your technique. Is the space in the trim where you cut the opening for the gauge large enough to run the cable through? Then you can run the cable along the steering column and over to the OBDII port? Of course my trim piece is different because I don't have a start/stop button. Just the key!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    . . . . Is it possible to get your first name?
    This is the internet. I thought we we're all hiding behind fake names for a reason?!? Greg is my real name. I hope the Feds aren't reading this.

Is the space in the trim where you cut the opening for the gauge large enough to run the cable through? Then you can run the cable along the steering column and over to the OBDII port?
    Yes...there's tons of room for the cable and you will never see it once the trim piece is back in the dash.

One additional part that will be in the more detailed instructions...

After you cut the wedge into the trim piece, you have to cut a small relief area in the rear of the wedge for the cable to connect to the rear of the Scangauge. This isn't absolutely required, but you will have more flexibility with positioning the unit once it is in your dash if you make this relief area for the cable connection.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about...

The top image below is a template I made of the wedge I cut in my trim. Notice the little 3/8" wide additional area on the back edge of the wedge (yellow arrow is pointing at it). That's to accommodate the cable connection.

The bottom image shows the Scangauge inserted into a cardboard mock-up with the cable connected. This shows you what the relief area is for.

Name:  template.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  69.8 KB

By the way...you can't see any of this once the unit is installed in the dash.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Greg,
    . . . . I'm not hiding. I have had this handle for 50 years. I used to run with a CB in my RX-3 and I used the handle Mechanic when I was on the air because, well, I am a Mechanic. I thought that something like the relief area would be necessary. No big deal. I have been a fabricator for over 5 decades. I built me RX-3 up from scratch. I customized the engine, trans, diff, suspension, electrical, lights, interior, and paint.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    A cheaper and more flexible alternative to the Scangauge is an OBD-II adapter with a smartphone or tablet display. I've used such as setup and it can give much more information, the info can even be displayed as traditional gauges. I appreciate what the Scangauge line of products can do, but I think for the money they are very limited.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . If you own a smart phone then that is fine but I don't and I probably never will. I don't use wireless devices because of security concerns.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama,
    . . . . Those would work and if I was younger I would probably go that route but I have gotten too old to about installing a sensor after getting the necessary adapters, stringing wires, finding the proper power connections, and so forth. That is why an OBD connection makes sense for me.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Eggman,
    . . . . If you own a smart phone then that is fine but I don't and I probably never will.
    Then I'm sure you'll find these threads interesting:

Mirage + ScanGauge users: what are your settings/calibration?

ScanGauge fuel economy gauge / trip computer: The 3-in-1 Automotive Computer

Greg,
    . . . . I'm not hiding. I have had this handle for 50 years. I used to run with a CB in my RX-3 and I used the handle Mechanic when I was on the air because, well, I am a Mechanic.
    I don't use wireless devices because of security concerns.
    But you use a CB? I don't understand...
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-28-2020 at 06:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . Interesting links and greatly appreciated. I noticed a couple people mentioned that their Speedometers indicated fast. Mine is reading about 4% fast. Indicated 70 is about 66 actual. Anyone else? Can the dealer fix this? I like my instruments to be accurate.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Would be cool if scangage made an odb reader that had outputs for separate gauges, even better if it were compatible with standard gauges...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)