Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    So, I finally got up off my rump and cut the hose, installed the coupling (which was actually quite tight due to the barb), and finished splicing and crimping the connectors on all the wires. Everything is installed and grounded, just need to tap power from somewhere (hoping for an unused fuse position with a decent gage wire) and run that to my fuse block. Oh, and maybe shorten the sender wire and ziptie some things.
    Very nice! Now that is something actually useful to use that blank space for. I might just do this myself now!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Very nice! Now that is something actually useful to use that blank space for. I might just do this myself now!
    I had to trim a lot of material from the back of the trim piece and modify the mounting hardware quite a bit to make it work, just a heads up. Think I determined I could have just shortened the mounting ring instead of making all the cuts I did to it, but I'm pretty sure you'll still need to trim around where it comes through. The gauge is also larger than the hole, so you'll need to enlarge that first (think I have pics in this thread).

If you can find a smaller one, or one with a smaller housing/mounting mechanism, it'd be a lot more straight-forward.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    So, I finally got up off my rump and cut the hose, installed the coupling (which was actually quite tight due to the barb), and finished splicing and crimping the connectors on all the wires. Everything is installed and grounded, just need to tap power from somewhere (hoping for an unused fuse position with a decent gage wire) and run that to my fuse block. Oh, and maybe shorten the sender wire and ziptie some things.
    So, tapped into one of the two big fuse positions (BF#1/2), then realized they weren't switched. Oh well. That got it working, but the temp hovered around 100°F. Guess I have to ground that coupling after all. So I grounded the coupling to the screw holding the top of the fuse box, snipped the wires going to the big fuse tap and crimped them onto the mini fuse tap, and tapped the fuse going to the headlights (for now, at least). Now it's only on if the headlights are on, and it's reading ~180-190°F all warmed up, which seems right to me. Phew, all done!

Well, I'd like to clean up the wiring a bit still, but otherwise it's done.

FWIW, BF #1&2 are unused, but the battery side is wired up (8, 9, and 11 are also unused, but don't have any power going to them). Would be useful if you have a separate relay or are powering something you want always on. You would need to add a wire and terminal to the other side, or tap the fuse to make use of it, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-27-2021),Top_Fuel (04-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    This would be a great idea for a CVT temperature gauge since that is not easily available through the OBDII port with a Scangauge or other device.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)