Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Gauge...disregard comments, they never grounded their sensor.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/333125488483

Top Radiator hose... haven't measured it yet though.

Installed but not hooked up, the start switch is though

That a very slick looking job you did! Impressive! For those of us with key ignitions, the job would be even easier.

Now that you have done one, what would estimate the costs in parts and time spent to do second one?

How much time would be saved adding the gauge to a Mirage with a key ignition?

It really does look nice!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That a very slick looking job you did! Impressive! For those of us with key ignitions, the job would be even easier.

Now that you have done one, what would estimate the costs in parts and time spent to do second one?

How much time would be saved adding the gauge to a Mirage with a key ignition?

It really does look nice!
    Thanks. Well I bought an extra bezel in case I broke mine lol. So, if I were to do it, I'd need a gauge sent to me and once I send it back, the extra sent to me. Cover the shipping + $10 and I'd be fine.

On your own.. $16 for gauge with sensor...$12 for coupler... 2" hole saw.. files to gauge the hole some before installing gauge.

For keyed ignitions, I'd say an hour saved.
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 04-18-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If only someone made a 1-⅝" gauge – I've looked, but come up empty-handed. :/

I measured the hole with the cover still on, get slightly more than 1-⅝" with my calipers – closer to 1-11/16", but not quite there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Top Fuel,
    . . . . I have been in contact with White Bear and they are going to help me out. It looks like I will be able to get back into a new car fairly quickly. I wish I had received my CAREs package. I know that tax payers are getting them but not us retired/disabled folks.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    You will get a Trump Check!

They need to know how to get it to you.

Check here and follow their directions.
    https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/econ...mpact-payments

5. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Top Fuel,
    . . . . I am going to do exactly that. Do they have a Blue one by chance? Dave Kono is my salesman and I really like his attitude. I feel that they will treat me well. They also offer a full lifetime bumper to bumper warranty and I will make sure that I have GAP insurance.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    They give you a lifetime extended Drivetrain Warranty on top of the 10yr. 100 Thousand mile Mitsu. one.
    But you can purchase a lifetime Bumper to Bumper if you want. I did.
    If you choose to buy one also be aware that if you total the car you loose the Warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    They give you a lifetime extended Drivetrain Warranty on top of the 10yr. 100 Thousand mile Mitsu. one.
    But you can purchase a lifetime Bumper to Bumper if you want. I did.
    If you choose to buy one also be aware that if you total the car you loose the Warranty.
    White Bear's lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain warranty is a nice perk. Living quite a distance away in Wisconsin, however, buying any additional coverage is not as appealing. Going to White Bear would probably be a good 7+ hours round trip for service for Rich.

I can honestly say White Bear didn't asked me about adding a single extra to the car at the time of purchase, which I found very refreshing. I did get my little stuffed white bear buckled in the back seat of the car when it was delivered, however!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    My selling dealer (an 11 hour round trip for me) gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty on my car. I violated the terms in the first 3 months of ownership.

In order to maintain the warranty, you had to have the oil changed by a licensed automotive repair facility. And every time the oil is changed, that facility has to call an 800 number to report the vehicle mileage to the warranty company. You miss 1 oil change or the shop forgets to make that phone call to report it...and the warranty is over.

I'm an ASE Certified Master technician...and the warranty company said that I could not change my own oil and report the mileage myself. It had to be done by an "official" shop. Needless to say, that perk didn't last too long for me.

It seems like a lot of dealers these days are offering "Lifetime Warranty" coverage. I wonder if they all have crazy stipulations or pages of fine print?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    My selling dealer (an 11 hour round trip for me) gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty on my car. I violated the terms in the first 3 months of ownership.

In order to maintain the warranty, you had to have the oil changed by a licensed automotive repair facility. And every time the oil is changed, that facility has to call an 800 number to report the vehicle mileage to the warranty company. You miss 1 oil change or the shop forgets to make that phone call to report it...and the warranty is over.

I'm an ASE Certified Master technician...and the warranty company said that I could not change my own oil and report the mileage myself. It had to be done by an "official" shop. Needless to say, that perk didn't last too long for me.

It seems like a lot of dealers these days are offering "Lifetime Warranty" coverage. I wonder if they all have crazy stipulations or pages of fine print?
    Dealerships are banking on owners not keeping their cars that long. By the time a major powertrain issue may come up, the car may be on its 2nd or 3rd owner by then. I'm sure the White Bear warranty has their loopholes, too! I don't put much value in these warranties. If given the option to save more money, I would pass on the extended warranties. Mathematically, I don't see where an extended warranty added costs to my deal. If it had, I would have questioned it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Gauge...disregard comments, they never grounded their sensor.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/333125488483

Top Radiator ...EDIT 36mm

Installed but not hooked up, the start switch is though

If you mount the sensor in the upper rad hose, you won't be reading engine temp. The only time it will read is when the thermostat is open, & coolant is circulating past it. When the thermostat closes, the coolant sitting in the hose will start to cool down & the engine will heat up until the stat opens again. Depending on air temp, (Winter with heat on full blast,) it may be a long time before the upper rad hose sees warm coolant... Just my CDN $0.02 ..
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    If you mount the sensor in the upper rad hose, you won't be reading engine temp. The only time it will read is when the thermostat is open, & coolant is circulating past it. When the thermostat closes, the coolant sitting in the hose will start to cool down & the engine will heat up until the stat opens again. Depending on air temp, (Winter with heat on full blast,) it may be a long time before the upper rad hose sees warm coolant... Just my CDN $0.02 ..
    It's a good $0.02. You are also correct to a point. In my own testing, the difference in temperature in the hose and block side of closed thermostat varied in temperature slightly, since the heat still transfers through a closed stat. I'm going to look closer at the stat housing and see what's there, otherwise the coupler mounted close to the stat will work just fine.

(blank signature)