Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Mark, Poorman, Top Fuel,
    . . . . I choose to get the full bumper to bumper warranty. I drive a lot, I am no longer able to do most of my own repairs, and I plan on keeping this car for the rest of my life. All good reasons to do so. Yes, I am still here Mark. I went and got the car and then took I-35 to Des Moines, IA to get some Krispy Kreme donuts.
    . . . . I headed South out of Des Moines and at about 12:00am stopped and curled up in the car. At 6:00am I continued South to Oklahoma City and then turned West onto I-40 to Albuquerque. I then turned North on I-25. I spent the night in the car near Raton, NM at about midnight. I woke at 7:00am and continued North to US-160, West to US-285. US-160 and US-285 take you through the heart of the CO Rockies. Beautiful country. I saw the headwaters of the Rio Grande. From there I went North to Denver. I took I-76 East to I-80 to Iowa Falls, I-380 to Cedar Rapids, US-151 to Dubuque, Dodgeville, and then WI-23 back here.
    . . . . The car ran great. I averaged 35mpg. My lowest tank was 25mpg. My best tank was 52mpg. I drove 3K miles. The engine hasn't used any oil. Something real interesting is the MAP readings at different Altitudes. Remember when you do take a reading you want WOT at low RPM. If you are comparing readings you should use the same RPM. I use PSI so sea level is 14.7 and you lose 0.5 PSI for each 1K of Feet. I went through two passes that were just under or just over 11K feet and yes the readings were under 10 PSI.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Sounds like you had a nice adventure with your new car. 3,000 miles to return back from White Bear was quite a detour! Glad to hear your travels went well, and it's good to hear you are back in a new Mirage after the deer collision.

I suspected you were out traveling when we didn't hear from you right away. So what was the cheapest gas you saw on your trip?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I had a great time. I saw 100s of deer, big horn sheep, mountain goats, a fox, buffalo, cows, horses, raccoons, possums, chipmunks, birds of prey including an eagle, a pheasant, and I met a lot of interesting people. I didn't hit any animals. There is a lot of fear out there but a lot of people are living their lives and not listening to the lies. The least expensive gas was 0.96 per gallon. The most expensive was 2.49. The most that I paid was 2.09. Correct I was on the road. I don't own a cell phone so when I am traveling I am out of touch.
    . . . . On my way from Des Moines to Iowa City someone decided to play games. He was driving a black pocket rocket with no badges so I couldn't identify it. It had one of those custom exhausts that really growls when you get on it. I don't know what prompted it. He was in the left lane doing just under 70. I was slowly catching him and as I came up beside him he would jump on it and go roaring off. Then he would slow down and again when I came up beside him he would go roaring off. He did this over and over. Really irritating. I got off and waited for a bit and then got back on. He had slowed downed and again he started doing this. This went on for miles. We finally came to the I-80, I-380 interchange and I went North on 380 while he continued East on 80. Argh! People! In a way I wish that I had my RX-3. His pocket rocket would have looked like a boat anchor. LOL!
    . . . . In NE I was passed by a Jeep doing about 90. This guy thinks the left lane is his personal lane and he never gets back into the right lane. About 20 miles down the highway I came across him pulled over by NE highway patrol. Well a couple hours later I came across him still in the left lane doing about 70 in Iowa. I had stopped at least once and I am sure that is when he got in front of me. I drive at about 4 or 5 miles an hour above the posted sped limit on the open road. He had slowed down but he was still driving in the left lane. He was also having trouble keeping in his lane. I stopped in Des Moines and I never saw him again.
    . . . . There were no patrols in WI, MN, or IA. I saw a couple in OK, a bunch in NM, a lot in CO, and NE. Everyone I went by, with the speedometer in the Mirage reading 8 mph above the speed limit, never gave me a second look. 83 in NM, CO, OK, and NE. 78 in WI, MN, and IA. The speed on the ScanGauge was 5 above the speed limit. 80 in NM, CO, OK, and NE and 75 in WI, MN, and IA. This Mirage's speedometer is reading 3 percent high.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Nice to hear you are back!

Me thinks it is better to measure the cylinder head temperature directly rather than the temperature of a hose where no coolant circulates except when the thermostat opens. Besides that, the thermostat on these cars is located down the bottom, between oilfilter and waterpump.

Here is how my auxillary temp sensor is mounted on the cylinder head. The first pic shows the general location, the second is a close up. This temp sensor is the same build of sensor common in most cars on the market (NTC). In this particular case it is used for the "temp sensor mod" which saves fuel during warmup. There is a dedicated thread about that in this forum.

Name:  Coonant temp sensor.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  Temp sensor close up.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  85.3 KB
    Last edited by foama; 04-22-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama,
    . . . . I agree with you. Short of finding a place where you screw the sensor into the water jacket your solution is the best. A sensor in the upper hose is marginal at best. The ScanGauge is very accurate because the sensor is in the water jacket. Has anyone noticed that sometimes the coolant temperature drops to to 166 or so? The first time that I noticed this was on the other car after I hit the deer. I thought maybe the impact had put enough Gs on the thermostat to damage it. Well my G4 does this. It has dropped to 166 a couple of times. Any thoughts? Is that the back of the engine near the transaxle where you mounted the sensor?
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Foama,
    . . . . Is that the back of the engine near the transaxle where you mounted the sensor?
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Nope. Look at the first picture. The airfilter is the white thing on top. The airfilter box has two clips that were opened, and the front box part where the air goes after filtering, put aside.
    That screw in both pictures is located on the side of the cylinderhead, the driverside. The pictures were taken standing in font of the car with the front bonnet open, looking at the side of the cylinder head.
    If you take off the airfilter (three bolts size 10) or at least undo the two clips and sway the intake box aside, you will see better.
    Last edited by foama; 04-22-2020 at 10:05 AM.

I'll just leave this here. https://mcphee.com/products/tin-foil-hat
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (04-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So, Dorman tech support helpfully told me the following...
    The site is incorrect, the range of this 1.5" 14085 clamp is roughly 1.40"-1.60" , so for your 1.5" connection I would recommend trying 14085

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 10:25 PM
    To: Techline Marketing <TechlineMarketing@dormanproducts.com>
    Subject: [External] - hose clamp size

I have a radiator hose (OEM) with 37-38mm OD when connected to a tube on the radiator, the tube being ~29mm according to my calipers. I need some hose clamps to attach this hose to a coupling.

Which of your "Dorman Help!" spring clamps would be most appropriate for this application? The description isn't very helpful, and the "Band Width" (.48 In), min/max diameter (1.46 In), and Size (1.75 In) of (for example) 14086 don't seem to jive?
    So, according to him, min/max diameter don't mean anything because the site is wrong, and I should get 14085 (1.5" clamp) for this application instead of 14086 (1.75" clamp). min/max for the 14085 clamp is 1.36", or 34.5mm. 37mm is ~1.46"...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Measure the outside of your hose, ( you did) & go to your FLAPS & ask for the right size clamp. Ask for a HD one, not a regular gear clamp. Look for one like this. https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/C.../p/MIK301918-6 Your best place would be a HD place that makes hydraulic hose... Good Luck
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Nobu (04-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Mark,
    . . . . I had a great time. I saw 100s of deer, big horn sheep, mountain goats, a fox, buffalo, cows, horses, raccoons, possums, chipmunks, birds of prey including an eagle, a pheasant, and I met a lot of interesting people. I didn't hit any animals. There is a lot of fear out there but a lot of people are living their lives and not listening to the lies. The least expensive gas was 0.96 per gallon. The most expensive was 2.49. The most that I paid was 2.09. Correct I was on the road. I don't own a cell phone so when I am traveling I am out of touch.
    . . . . On my way from Des Moines to Iowa City someone decided to play games. He was driving a black pocket rocket with no badges so I couldn't identify it. It had one of those custom exhausts that really growls when you get on it. I don't know what prompted it. He was in the left lane doing just under 70. I was slowly catching him and as I came up beside him he would jump on it and go roaring off. Then he would slow down and again when I came up beside him he would go roaring off. He did this over and over. Really irritating. I got off and waited for a bit and then got back on. He had slowed downed and again he started doing this. This went on for miles. We finally came to the I-80, I-380 interchange and I went North on 380 while he continued East on 80. Argh! People! In a way I wish that I had my RX-3. His pocket rocket would have looked like a boat anchor. LOL!
    . . . . In NE I was passed by a Jeep doing about 90. This guy thinks the left lane is his personal lane and he never gets back into the right lane. About 20 miles down the highway I came across him pulled over by NE highway patrol. Well a couple hours later I came across him still in the left lane doing about 70 in Iowa. I had stopped at least once and I am sure that is when he got in front of me. I drive at about 4 or 5 miles an hour above the posted sped limit on the open road. He had slowed down but he was still driving in the left lane. He was also having trouble keeping in his lane. I stopped in Des Moines and I never saw him again.
    . . . . There were no patrols in WI, MN, or IA. I saw a couple in OK, a bunch in NM, a lot in CO, and NE. Everyone I went by, with the speedometer in the Mirage reading 8 mph above the speed limit, never gave me a second look. 83 in NM, CO, OK, and NE. 78 in WI, MN, and IA. The speed on the ScanGauge was 5 above the speed limit. 80 in NM, CO, OK, and NE and 75 in WI, MN, and IA. This Mirage's speedometer is reading 3 percent high.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Rich,

Was your 1st Mirage a CVT, & your new G4 a manual?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yep, 36mm coupling is way too big, pretty sure I could fit the tube coming out the radiator inside this thing. lol

36mm OD (+2 at the lip), and 33mm ID. That said, lemme just confirm we're talking about the same hose. I'm looking at the one coming out of the top of the radiator, where the metal cap and overflow is. Looks like this hose is about the same size as the one that snakes from the bottom, around the oil filter and into the engine. Is there another hose I'm missing? The one in Foama's photo looks bigger, but that may just be perspective...

Last edited by Nobu; 04-23-2020 at 02:04 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)