Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Coolant Temperature!! (Is there a way to display it?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Mark,
    . . . . Both of those are very handy and greatly appreciated. Yes, you can change the circumference specifications for your tires in the ECM which would allow you to fine tune the Speedometer Reading. Where do you get the ETACS software so that you can read and write to the ECM? The cable is no problem. The next step is getting my Mirage into my apartment so that I can plug my computer into it. LOL! My landlord is really going to like that. Can you disassemble it like a VW Beetle, transport it piece by piece, and then put it back together. Hum!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    If you decide to take your car to your dealer for this, I was just sharing that tire circumference is in ETACS. I wasn't suggesting you do it yourself. I was just sharing it can be done. The dealership should already know that I guess. Service managers at dealerships are not all created equal, however. Sometimes, it helps to go in knowing what you are talking about. I am not aware of anyone actually changing the tire setting on ETACS.

Another common practice that may apply to the future - Many forum members don't care for the limited choices of 165/65r14 tires in the States. When it's time to replace tires, they buy 175/65r14 tires, which are more common size. That changes your outside tire diameter slightly (form 22.4" to 23"). That should gain about 2 mph @ 70 mph. If you are 4 mph low at 70 mph now, that would get you a little closer.

Today, Walmart has about -

7 different 165/65r14 tire choices, & I would only consider 2 or 3 of them as being good ones.
    vs.
    116 different 175/65r14 tires choices.

Not saying your have to buy tires at Walmart. Just showing the difference in tire options between the two sizes.

I use factory size tires myself, but I haven't heard anyone having issues with 175/65r14 tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Eggman,
    . . . . Interesting links and greatly appreciated. I noticed a couple people mentioned that their Speedometers indicated fast. Mine is reading about 4% fast. Indicated 70 is about 66 actual. Anyone else? Can the dealer fix this? I like my instruments to be accurate.
    I've noticed a difference between radar speed signs and my Mirage speedometer. I've also noticed this on other cars I drive. It doesn't really change how I get from one place to another and thus doesn't bother me. I'm sure it can be adjusted somehow but I'm reluctant to make any changes that might cause problems for warranty coverage.

In the end, it's a cheap, economical, subcompact city car and I like it for what it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . When it is time for new tires I will be installing BF Goodrich Comp T/As or whatever they are calling them at the time. How large a tire can you put on a Mirage? I would like to go to 195 or even 205 if possible! If you lower the aspect ratio for every 10mm of thread width increase the overall diameter of the tire remains the same. I won't buy anything from Walmart. They betrayed the country years ago so they can stuff it.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I've noticed a difference between radar speed signs and my Mirage speedometer. I've also noticed this on other cars I drive. It doesn't really change how I get from one place to another and thus doesn't bother me. I'm sure it can be adjusted somehow but I'm reluctant to make any changes that might cause problems for warranty coverage.

In the end, it's a cheap, economical, subcompact city car and I like it for what it is.
    Quite frankly, there may not be a perfect tire circumference setting programmed for the Mirage. It's not like you have the freedom to punch in the exact number you want. It's about picking the programmed one that's closest to what you want.

On a positive note: If you have a lead foot, it may keep you from getting a speeding ticket some time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use a landline at home and my computers are hardwired with Cat 5E cables to my Router/Firewall. I am not directly connected to the Internet. As far as the outside world is concerned my computers don't exist. How much security do you want to give up for convenience? Just my opinion and observations.
    Oooh, good points. But I suspect there might be some misunderstanding in how the internet & firewalls work (maybe it's me...)

I always thought Internet Service Providers track our browsing, and various websites track our browsing and either share or sell that information. It's a racket. I also understand that routers and firewalls have their vulnerabilities. I'm especially wary of the equipment provided by the ISP as well as routers & firewalls built overseas that I have always presumed to have spyware built in. And these are only the few that I am aware of - I'm sure there are other ways for 'security to be compromised for our convenience'.

Do you really think a wired home internet connection, personal router and firewall (assuming it's not the one provided by the ISP) will eliminate these hazards?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I won't buy anything from Walmart. They betrayed the country years ago so they can stuff it.
    How did they betray the country?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . The reason that I know that the speedometer in my Mirage is reading high is because the Speedometer in my Protege was dead on accurate as clocked by a multitude of radar signs in various small towns all over Wisconsin. I also got stopped in WY for doing 81 in a 75 and my Speedometer was indicating 81. He gave me a warning. Nice guy!
    . . . . At 35 the Speedo in the Mirage is showing 36, at 40 it is 41, at 45 it is 47, at 50 it is 52, at 55 it is 58, at 60 it is 63, and so forth. I came across one of these on a freeway and at 70 my Speedo was showing 75. I just like my instruments to be accurate. I drive at about 5mph over the posted speed limit on the open road and right on the speed limit, or even slightly below if the traffic is heavy or the conditions are bad, in town.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . They used to advertise, buy American, support America. Then they went to: Live better and save money, by switching over to mostly Chinese junk. They betrayed America by putting millions of people out of work. Shutting down small towns, and by buying stuff from a sworn enemy that says they are going to destroy us and guess where Kung Flu began? This is all I have to say on the matter. Back to cars.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . They used to advertise, buy American, support America. Then they went to: Live better and save money, by switching over to mostly Chinese junk. They betrayed America by putting millions of people out of work. Shutting down small towns, and by buying stuff from a sworn enemy that says they are going to destroy us and guess where Kung Flu began? This is all I have to say on the matter. Back to cars.
    Do you know where the Mirage is made?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At 35 the Speedo in the Mirage is showing 36, at 40 it is 41, at 45 it is 47, at 50 it is 52, at 55 it is 58, at 60 it is 63, and so forth. I came across one of these on a freeway and at 70 my Speedo was showing 75. I just like my instruments to be accurate.
    Sounds like your speedometer is more accurate than mine lol.