Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low mileage CVT issues

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Yes, the original mine had and replaced with is greenish-blue.
    Yikes, Eneos CVT fluid is blue. Why would any manufacturer die their CVT fluid in the same color range as the predominate engine coolant for Asian vehicles? Unfortunately most of the world's population think vehicles are "magic boxes" that don't need any maintenance so even though it's obvious to those that maintain our own vehicles, not a great overall idea (at least in my book). I stand corrected but disturbed

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow-worm View Post
    Hello everyone! I have an ‘18 G4 that is experiencing some annoying transmission symptoms. It whines loudly, searches for gears, holds RPMs way longer than it should. CanÂ’t keep a constant speed on the highway. At 70MPH the thing is at 3k, and the slightest depression of the gas pedal makes it scream to 4k + rpms. It used to hold at 2,600k I get get vibrations at highway speed also, which I thought was a wheel bearing. When you come to a stop it no longer goes into neutral coasting in. It just lurches forward with a delayed shift immediately after stopping. On hills, and we have a lot of steep ones, the hill start assist will kick in, but if you donÂ’t push the gas down before the brake disengages, it rolls back quickly and stalls. It never used to do this. The transmission itself used to hold it in place after the brake disengaged. Now it just lets it roll.

I took the car in for service, and found that the wheel bearing was fine. However, on a lift, you get a vibration from the front driverÂ’s hub. I was told by the dealer that it may be related to the transmission, and that upon driving it, they concurred it was noisy and acting funny. But they canÂ’t do anything to it until the idiot light turns on?! They already flashed the transmission last year. Any advice? The oil level is fine. It has a dark tan color to it. 26k miles
    If its truly searching for rpms the dealer could easily replicate that on the highway, but is your CVT truly searching? If you look at youtube vids of "CVT searching behavior" during accelerations, that needle is quickly moving all over the place, your case doesnt sound quite as severe. Id ask if a cvt fluid change could help? Is the ecu not throwing any kind of code?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Yikes, Eneos CVT fluid is blue. Why would any manufacturer die their CVT fluid in the same color range as the predominate engine coolant for Asian vehicles? Unfortunately most of the world's population think vehicles are "magic boxes" that don't need any maintenance so even though it's obvious to those that maintain our own vehicles, not a great overall idea (at least in my book). I stand corrected but disturbed
    I actually thought J3 was the same color, so I was wrong too.
    (blank signature)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Neither is a dark tan color. Not sure what to make of the OPs fluid color...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eggman View Post
    neither is a dark tan color. Not sure what to make of the ops fluid color...
    me too.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Sounds like its brown and needs to be replaced ASAP. If its black, its too late, from whats been posted on here. From my experience the dealership doesnt do anything but a drain/replace and hook the cvt up to a diagnostic machine. No pan drop, no cleaning of the magnets or adding new magnets, hell my service guy didnt even realise there was a side filter to replace at 60k miles. Unbelievable. Aamco, does all that as part of their CVT service, and they use OEM fluid and filters.

The stuff I use is brown. The blue and green stuff in the pic above is obviously new. When I put gold colored new engine oil in my truck then pull the dipstick it turns black. I'm still not sure where the gold stuff goes? Must be a chemical reaction with the diesel fumes.

It's hard to tell the factory fill cvt fluid has any color to it at all when it's used, especially when just pulling the dipstick.......Even draining it, unless you have good lighting you might be able to see a tinge of color while it pisses out. When these were new I recall the cvt fluid looking almost clear on the dipstick. Put on a mask and go check one out at a stealership?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    me too.
    OP states that the OIL, not specifying CVT or engine, level is fine and....I know ZERO mechanical things, so I assumed they meant engine oil since that is usually a brownish color but I wasn't sure how that ties into a CVT? My two cents.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    OP states that the OIL, not specifying CVT or engine, level is fine and....I know ZERO mechanical things, so I assumed they meant engine oil since that is usually a brownish color but I wasn't sure how that ties into a CVT? My two cents.
    Oh, good point. I just assumed CVT because the that's the thread title and the original post focuses almost entirely on the CVT. I suppose the oil color could be referring to the engine, but that would be a real bait-and-switch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-06-2020)