Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan-only 2021 Yaris GR, with 268 hp i3 engine

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Japan-only 2021 Yaris GR, with 268 hp i3 engine

I came across this the other day. New gen Yaris GS.. so a sport edition hot hatch, with a turbo 3 cylinder engine that makes 268 hp.

I believe AWD but the car isn't coming to Canada or the USA anyways unfortunately. Good on Toyota for keeping cars in their showrooms, and not just cuvs etc.. and on top of that, making sports lines for each of their cars. I'm not a Toyota person, but they make lots of variety I will give them that.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...aris-gr-supra/
    Name:  yaris-gr-010-1578671200.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  66.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-03-2020),Nobu (04-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nice. I'm not a huge fan fan of Toyota, but I could get behind that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I came across this the other day. New gen Yaris GS.. so a sport edition hot hatch, with a turbo 3 cylinder engine that makes 268 hp.

I believe AWD but the car isn't coming to Canada or the USA anyways unfortunately. Good on Toyota for keeping cars in their showrooms, and not just cuvs etc.. and on top of that, making sports lines for each of their cars. I'm not a Toyota person, but they make lots of variety I will give them that.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...aris-gr-supra/
    Name:  yaris-gr-010-1578671200.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  66.5 KB
    If have to drive/ride in a small car, it better get 40+ mpg.

If a vehicle has 268 hp, it better be able to tow a good sized boat, camper, or something.

A vehicle like this would do neither. I'd rather own a cheaper Mazda Miata. I suppose this Yaris could be the AWD winter car? I think I would pass. It does look sort of cool, but I'm to practical to throw money at a car like that.

I do appreciate companies keeping cars in their line up, however. I think Ford, GM, & Fiat/Chrysler are putting to much emphasis on large large trucks and SUV/CUV vehicles. I think they will regret that some day.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-04-2020 at 01:24 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If have to drive/ride in a small car, it better get 40+ mpg.

If a vehicle has 268 hp, it better be able to tow a good sized boat, camper, or something.

A vehicle like this would do neither. I'd rather own a cheaper Mazda Miata. I suppose this Yaris could be the AWD winter car? I think I would pass. It does look sort of cool, but I'm to practical to throw money at a car like that.

I do appreciate companies keeping cars in their line up, however. I think Ford, GM, & Fiat/Chrysler are putting to much emphasis on large large trucks and SUV/CUV vehicles. I think they will regret that some day.
    There's no reason a lightweight car with a turbo 3-cylinder engine shouldn't be able to get good mileage (at least 40mpg, with much more possible if tuned appropriately). Now, whether they'll actually put in the effort is another question...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    There's no reason a lightweight car with a turbo 3-cylinder engine shouldn't be able to get good mileage (at least 40mpg, with much more possible if tuned appropriately). Now, whether they'll actually put in the effort is another question...
    I've owned cars that got me from point A to B using 200 less hp to do it. I shouldn't probably comment on vehicles like these. There's no place for all my fishing or hunting gear. Makes AWD or 4WD sort of useless to me.

For some, it might be a fun car! I doubt a 268 hp turbo with AWD would get 40+ mpg consistently, but what do I know? A 2020 Toyota Yaris with 106 hp is rated 32 city & 40 hwy. I can't imagine this car would match or beat those numbers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2012 nc700x has 47hp and gobs of torque, gets 60+ mpg where other similarly sized bikes get 40 mpg or less. It is possible, but we'll have to see. If they designed it just for sport, I expect 20-35mpg. But an eco tune mode could top 40 if they are so inclined.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would get one in a heartbeat if those dicks at Toyota would sell it here. Them killing the Toyota made Yaris is why I bought a Mirage in the first place.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-04-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I would get one in a heartbeat if those dicks at Toyota would sell it here. Them killing the Toyota made Yaris is why I bought a Mirage in the first place.
    That's weird they cancelled the Yaris in the USA, and you can still buy a 2020 Yaris hatch brand new in Canada.

And I don't mean one of those Mazda 2 clones, I mean a real Toyota Yaris lol. I wonder what 2021 will bring for the Yaris here in Canada.

I never liked the looks of the Yaris, I liked the first Echo's in 5 door hatch form, and in gold paint.

Nobu I checked out your bike, I like it and 3.5 L / 100 km's fuel economy is impressive, probably goes like stink.

Mark hopefully they sell you a bare bones new gen Yaris, but I think they're sticking to the Japanese market and the European market. Toyota axed the prius c as well.

*The 2020 Yaris in Canada is a Mazda 2 clone.. https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehi...hback/overview
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-04-2020 at 06:22 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Nobu (04-04-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That's weird they cancelled the Yaris in the USA, and you can still buy a 2020 Yaris hatch brand new in Canada.

And I don't mean one of those Mazda 2 clones, I mean a real Toyota Yaris lol. I wonder what 2021 will bring for the Yaris here in Canada.

I never liked the looks of the Yaris, I liked the first Echo's in 5 door hatch form, and in gold paint.

Nobu I checked out your bike, I like it and 3.5 L / 100 km's fuel economy is impressive, probably goes like stink.

Mark hopefully they sell you a bare bones new gen Yaris, but I think they're sticking to the Japanese market and the European market. Toyota axed the prius c as well.

*The 2020 Yaris in Canada is a Mazda 2 clone.. https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehi...hback/overview
    it's no sport bike, for sure. RPM is limited to 6200 iirc (maybe 5800?), and you can run from 35 to 120 in top gear (I've only gone up to 90, though, and supposedly 120 is pushing it on stock gearing) – gobs of torque. lol

First time I took it out was quite fun. You get to the top of a gear before you can blink, though, and it cuts fuel at the limit so that can be jarring if you don't expect it. Honestly, I probably would've liked an Africa Twin better, but I don't think I could have afforded it, and the fuel economy isn't as good.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-04-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    it's no sport bike, for sure. RPM is limited to 6200 iirc (maybe 5800?), and you can run from 35 to 120 in top gear (I've only gone up to 90, though, and supposedly 120 is pushing it on stock gearing) – gobs of torque. lol

First time I took it out was quite fun. You get to the top of a gear before you can blink, though, and it cuts fuel at the limit so that can be jarring if you don't expect it. Honestly, I probably would've liked an Africa Twin better, but I don't think I could have afforded it, and the fuel economy isn't as good.
    That's cool. Motorcycle riding season is still super early in Canada April 4th... people push it here, my friend at work was driving his newish Kawasaki home the other night around freezing like 32 F... so it's a passion for sure.

I'm not sure the specific model, but it's a rusty orange colour and he says there aren't many like it. Could be a Yamaha. Has almost "retro" styling between cruiser and sport. Nice sound and looks.