Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car parked for a long time - when to expect problems?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You don't need a key to roll a Mirage around. They don't have a steering wheel lock.
    Mine has.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

That's odd. None of the 14,15,17, or 19's I've seen have one. The Mirage is the first car I can think of that has the ignition key in the column that doesn't lock the wheel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    That's odd. None of the 14,15,17, or 19's I've seen have one. The Mirage is the first car I can think of that has the ignition key in the column that doesn't lock the wheel.
    I don't miss the steering locks.

On a manual Mirage you can just slip the car in neutral with or without using the clutch. Having the key is irrelevant.

Can a CVT Mirage be shifted out of park without the key?

Can a CVT Mirage (with push button start) be shifted out of park without the smart key being present?

I don't think my driver's ed. Chevy Impala will shift out of park unless the car is started with the chipped key & foot is pressed on the brake. I say that, because kids driving that car do silly things & I have to correct them (teach them).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Can a CVT Mirage be shifted out of park without the key?

Can a CVT Mirage (with push button start) be shifted out of park without the smart key being present?
    Yes, and I don't see why a keyless car would be different. Most floor shift automatic have a little cover you can pry open or off to access a bypass lever so you can get it out of park. I used to have to do that all the time towing cars with dead battery's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Yes, and I don't see why a keyless car would be different. Most floor shift automatic have a little cover you can pry open or off to access a bypass lever so you can get it out of park. I used to have to do that all the time towing cars with dead battery's.
    So how would you bypass my dad's 2017 GMC Terrain. No key, no shift lever, no manual parking brake. Push buttons for P, D, N, & R on the dash. Parking brake is another button that electronically locks the wheels with electric motors. I don't see how much could be done without having the smart key fob & starting the vehicle first?

There must be some way around that for someone wanting to slide a dead vehicle on a tow truck bed?

I hope manual vehicles never disappear totally!!!!!

Great question! I don't have an answer to that one. Use a wheel lift and a set of dollies I guess.
    I've towed my share of cars after skidding them onto the deck in park. Getting them of is even worse! Surprised never snapped off a park pawl. You can be pretty rammy with a deck truck lol.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Maybe it has something to do with local technical requirements? Besides, my car has no ignition key, and the lock is strange. On my previous cars the steer went into lock when you turned it to 20 degrees left, or something like that. But my Space Star steer locks each time on a different place. As if the lock is on the gear rack, instead of on the axle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    i went out in my car today after not being used for 2 weeks (Car was in garage)
    Car started first time and had no problems

just give it a run once a week and it will ok

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with local technical requirements? Besides, my car has no ignition key, and the lock is strange. On my previous cars the steer went into lock when you turned it to 20 degrees left, or something like that. But my Space Star steer locks each time on a different place. As if the lock is on the gear rack, instead of on the axle.
    Most locks I've seen are like your previous cars. Pull out the key, turn the wheel and it'll lock, then sometimes you'll have to turn the wheel a little to take the pressure off to get the key to turn in some vehicles(nv200). I can't say I've heard of a locking rack and pinion? Might have to compare part numbers?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I can't say I've heard of a locking rack and pinion?
    It's only a guess. I can't think of a simpler way to have a 'multi lock position steering lock'. And as the lock is necessarily powered (no ignition key), it doesn't matter much where the lock is physically located.
    Might have to compare part numbers?
    How?