Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Car parked for a long time - when to expect problems?

I use this site to look up part numbers for north american cars most parts seem the same in the US as here, except the speedo and cali emissions crap. They seem to share this information in the US. https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/ Maybe they have a similar site over there?

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    So how would you bypass my dad's 2017 GMC Terrain. No key, no shift lever, no manual parking brake. Push buttons for P, D, N, & R on the dash. Parking brake is another button that electronically locks the wheels with electric motors. I don't see how much could be done without having the smart key fob & starting the vehicle first?

There must be some way around that for someone wanting to slide a dead vehicle on a tow truck bed?

I hope manual vehicles never disappear totally!!!!!
    You are completely screwed. You need the key and a battery boost to get the parking brake disabled, and if you don't have the key, you are removing driveshafts to roll it and really hoping the e -park brake isn't set.

This is the world we live in now. Chev has no bypasses, but that's mostly just Chev. Dodge has a snap cord to kill the parking brake, Mitsubishi still uses a small push button under a plastic cap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Sounds hard to steal. I like it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sounds hard to steal. I like it.
    Stating a push button car is harder to steal would be quite naive. They are actually some of the easier vehicles to steal. Once a thieve picks up your fob signal, they have control to everything mentioned in the previous post.

Just search are push button cars easy to steal, & you find quotes like these -

"The truth is push button starters are actually easier to steal compared to key start with immobilisers. Push button start cars actually do have immobilisers. However once the immobiliser is programmed to work with the theft's key fob the theft can then simply press the button and start the car and get away with it."

"What do thieves use to steal keyless cars?
    The process criminals use to steal a car via keyless theft – also known as relay theft – is relatively simple. First, they buy a relay amplifier and a relay transmitter; these electronic gizmos can be purchased from the darker corners of the internet."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not sure thieves are going to be all that interested in stealing Mirages. I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

My parent's vehicles have push button start, & I drive for them at times. I see no advantage to push button start, I realize many consumers think push button starts are cool. It's a trend that's not going away any time soon.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested a keyless fob until they add an on/off switch to them.

I am not the only one that questions this - For example:

Why don't keyless keys have an on/off switch?
    It seems that keyless entry cars are being stolen at an alarming rate and that you recommend Faraday bags to put the keys in. Is there some technical reason why the keys just don't have an on/off switch that disables them? This would surely solve the problem and the technology exists to save all the information in the key even when it does not have battery power. A slider switch on the side of the key could easily display when the key is on or off. Am I missing something here?
    Asked on 8 October 2018 by Arnold Murphy
    Last edited by Mark; 04-20-2020 at 04:00 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Stating a push button car is harder to steal would be quite naive.
    Good point.

In response to the post by nickles, I was focused on the parking brake technology and not keyless operation. Sorry I didn't mention that. I guess it's one of the hazards of not using the Reply With Quote feature.

Last edited by Eggman; 04-20-2020 at 08:53 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to follow up, after sitting without starting for 10 months this is how it sounded. You will need to change the file extension from .pdf to .mp3 to listen. Mp3s apparently won't upload here.

Attached Images Attached Images