Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car parked for a long time - when to expect problems?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Car parked for a long time - when to expect problems?

Due to a partial lockdown in my country, my Space Star hasn't left my driveway for more than 3 weeks now. At the moment the expectations are that it will last to the end of May, or longer.
    A month will be no problem, I assume, but how long can this be stretched? And what is the limiting factor?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Due to a partial lockdown in my country, my Space Star hasn't left my driveway for more than 3 weeks now. At the moment the expectations are that it will last to the end of May, or longer.
    A month will be no problem, I assume, but how long can this be stretched? And what is the limiting factor?
    The typical advice for cars in storage is it is best to start them and let them warm up occasionally, every two weeks is ideal. Run an automatic transmission through its available gears. Let the car move a bit in its parking space or driveway. This will help keep the various seals from drying out. This is mostly for classic cars that get very few annual miles. Today's cars can take a month or so sitting as its owner is off on vacation or a business trip.

Space Wolf, have you started your Space Star lately?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Space Wolf, have you started your Space Star lately?
    No. The only problem my Space Star ever had was that it doesn't start again if you shut it down with a cold engine. I had that 3 times, so I hesitate to start it for just trying.
    The typical advice for cars in storage is it is best to start them and let them warm up occasionally, every two weeks is ideal. Run an automatic transmission through its available gears. Let the car move a bit in its parking space or driveway. This will help keep the various seals from drying out. This is mostly for classic cars that get very few annual miles. Today's cars can take a month or so sitting as its owner is off on vacation or a business trip.
    My car isn't really a classic (yet), and leaving a car idling for 10 minutes is a bit asocial here. So I'll plan a trip every 4 weeks, if its unused in that time. The current government directives allow me to do that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    No. The only problem my Space Star ever had was that it doesn't start again if you shut it down with a cold engine. I had that 3 times, so I hesitate to start it for just tying.
    That's flooding. It typically happens if the engine is shut off after running only a few seconds on a cold day. Letting it warm up avoids this.

My car isn't really a classic (yet), and leaving a car idle for 10 minutes is a bit asocial here. So I'll plan a trip every 4 weeks, if its unused in that time. The current government directives allow me to do that.
    Sounds good. Be sure to let us know how this goes for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    and leaving a car idling for 10 minutes is a bit asocial here
    Good. As it should be.

There are things that make me wish I lived in Europe, and this is one of them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Space Wolf - Is the price of gas falling in your part of the world like it has here?

Fuel is cheaper than it has been for quite some time, but everyone is encouraged to stay put.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've started cars up after sitting for years. IMO the battery is the main issue. Make sure to put it on a charger here and there. For a month I wouldn't bother, but after two I'd throw one on and you're good for another two months.

edit:
    You'll also likely have issues with rust build up on your brake rotors and drums. Not much you can do there besides going for a drive and using the brakes.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-05-2020)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Space Wolf - Is the price of gas falling in your part of the world like it has here?
    Good question. I haven't seen a fuel station last month, but fortunately we have internet. When I remember well I paid €1.56/L (for E10) in the beginning of March, and the same fuel station has now €1.45/L. So yes, it is dropping. It's some time ago I saw prizes like that. Too bad my tank is almost full.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I've started cars up after sitting for years. IMO the battery is the main issue. Make sure to put it on a charger here and there. For a month I wouldn't bother, but after two I'd throw one on and you're good for another two months.
    My car has a FAST key, so something is always on. Does anybody know how much that draws, or better, how much does the whole car draw when it's off?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Good question. I haven't seen a fuel station last month, but fortunately we have internet. When I remember well I paid €1.56/L (for E10) in the beginning of March, and the same fuel station has now €1.45/L. So yes, it is dropping. It's some time ago I saw prizes like that. Too bad my tank is almost full.

My car has a FAST key, so something is always on. Does anybody know how much that draws, or better, how much does the whole car draw when it's off?
    It's always hard to compare prices (gallon to liter). Not going metric is a stubborn U.S. issue. I won't defend that. In my hometown gas has dropped over a $1/gallon. I don't remember a drastic drop of that amount before, & I have been around for some time. I've seen drastic increases over the years.

Not sure what your parking/garage situation is, but I use trickle chargers on things that sit for some time. I put trickle battery chargers on my riding lawnmower and compact tractor about 2-weeks ago, because they sat all winter. I started them up yesterday to change oil in them and get them ready for spring/summer. They both fired right up. I prefer that over using jumper cables.

Can't answer your FAST key question, but even vehicles without FAST keys are using something. When my Subaru Forester sits for weeks on end, a trickle charger goes on that, too. Trickle chargers are cheap. I own a couple of them, now. During the winter months, they are on my ATV & UTV for most of that time. I use my ATV to plow snow in my driveway.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Gas is $1.49 locally, my supervisor said he gets gas for $0.99 (or maybe it was $0.49), but I said he's crazy for trusting gas that cheap. $1.50 at the local Shell or Exxon is fine with me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)