Thread: Coolant Temp Sensor - located where?

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Coolant Temp Sensor - located where?

Hi, okay my car is actually a 2005 Colt, but it has the 3 cylinder gasoline engine (1124 cc in this case) that is very similar to the one in the current Mirage.

Please can someone tell me where the Coolant Temperature Sensor is located?

(is it on the block, head, thermostat, hose, coolant reservoir...? Left/center/right of the engine bay...? High up/low down?)

I'd imagine it's probably still likely in the same place on both engines.

I'd like to find it and take some measurements with a multimeter.

Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HandCart View Post
    Hi, okay my car is actually a 2005 Colt, but it has the 3 cylinder gasoline engine (1124 cc in this case) that is very similar to the one in the current Mirage.

Please can someone tell me where the Coolant Temperature Sensor is located?

(is it on the block, head, thermostat, hose, coolant reservoir...? Left/center/right of the engine bay...? High up/low down?)

I'd imagine it's probably still likely in the same place on both engines.

I'd like to find it and take some measurements with a multimeter.

Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum and you have the 3A91 in your Colt which has the same bore as our 3A92's, just a shorter stroke. I always liked the specs on the 3A91 because it's torque peak is at a much lower rpm than the 3A92. It appears that the coolant temperature sensor is located very close to the thermostat. The sensor is #10

Name:  f099ba4646416751f3f49917e390479b.png
Views: 3394
Size:  30.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=inuvik;106716]Welcome to the forum and you have the 3A91 in your Colt which has the same bore as our 3A92's, just a shorter stroke. I always liked the specs on the 3A91 because it's torque peak is at a much lower rpm than the 3A92. It appears that the coolant temperature sensor is located very close to the thermostat. The sensor is #10

Many thanks Inuvik,

It is indeed inbetween the two pipes that go to the heater matrix. On the Colt (at least) you have to remove the air filter box to get any sort of access to (or visibility of) it. I haven't taken any measurements yet, as the shroud of the connector is wider than the nut, so it looks like it can only be removed with an open-ended wrench, and I ran out of time.

There's also another electrical connection on a device very nearby which is a puzzle to me: It has a pipe going to the fuel filter and a pipe going to the throttle body. Would I be right in thinking it's something to purge air out of the fuel filter?? Why does it have an electrical connection though?

I'm surprised the Mirage's engine has its torque peak at a higher RPM seeing as it has a longer stroke.

Oooh, and one other question while I remember: Does my Colt's engine have variable valve timing? (I think probably not, but I've never known for certain.)