Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF is happening!? (Check Engine light and loss of power)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhelinski View Post
    At the time of all the lights & such, I didn't have anything plugged in. Only used the OBD for after I was home. If we make assumptions that it's unrelated to the OBD, what could it be? I'm scheduled to take it to the shop to hopefully cover under warranty this afternoon, but if not I'm just hoping to have an understanding of all this before the shop hits me with a crazy bill or something
    According to your Garage entry, you've added a bunch of LED bulbs, including front & rear blinkers. Try replacing at least those with cheap incandescent bulbs and see if that takes care of the problem.

Brakes & signal bulbs are considered safety items (?) and are monitored by the vehicle electronics. LED bulbs are notorious for causing problems similar to what you are describing.

And thanks for making a Garage entry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-09-2020),Fummins (04-09-2020),poorman1 (04-09-2020),Top_Fuel (04-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    According to your Garage entry, you've added a bunch of LED bulbs...
    I didn't even think about that!

We probably need a sticky somewhere that says if your Mirage suddenly develops a crazy behavior that makes absolutely no sense or involves systems that are totally unrelated, try these things first:

1. Remove anything plugged into your OBDII port (especially something bluetooth)
    2. Make sure you have stock light bulbs everywhere in your car (especially if your car is loaded up with eBay LEDs)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I didn't even think about that!

We probably need a sticky somewhere that says if your Mirage suddenly develops a crazy behavior that makes absolutely no sense or involves systems that are totally unrelated, try these things first:

1. Remove anything plugged into your OBDII port (especially something bluetooth)
    2. Make sure you have stock light bulbs everywhere in your car (especially if your car is loaded up with eBay LEDs)
    That and keep the Garage entry updated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-09-2020)

We might want to start from scratch. As stated many times already(you're probably tired of hearing it by now.....) Keep that obdII thing unplugged, replace the brake/tail light bulbs with stock. Then clear all your codes that are stored since most are probably caused by led or obdII deal. If/when your car acts up again take it in and get it scanned with a proper scanner that won't set false codes.

My shot in the dark guess right now is if replacing the bulbs and removing the dongle thing doesn't work then you may have a wiring problem. Corroded kick panel connector or possibly a pinched wire on the engine harness??? There's been a few cases of the harness being damaged where it's zip tied in place to tightly.
    If it's none of those then I'd like to know wth it is along with everyone else so it can be added to the short list of common problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-09-2020),Top_Fuel (04-09-2020)

Subscribed (...no advice to offer, but want to know how it turns out.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Jhelinski, any updates?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Jhelinski, any updates?
    Well, so far doing exactly what FUMMINS suggested.

Tried to take it to a shop (aftermarket warranty won't cover it because "it's still under factory warranty" which, if I knew it was transferable when I bought it I would have never got aftermarket warranty, but I'm going on a tangent here)

So been trying to get into contact with the last remaining MMNA dealership in the area, but with all this coronavirus stuff going on, they're not open whatsoever, so I'm stuck to trying to diagnose myself.

Since my OP, I removed anything and everything I possibly could, to see of that was the problem. Have had no problems in those weeks, so now I've added back the LED reverse lights yesterday and will now be waiting a few weeks before removing those, and adding the LED blinkers for a few weeks.

Eventually, I'll be pulling the AC fuse, and installing the OBD adapter just for gits and shiggles (separately from one another of course).

Now, although I've only used the OBD for CEL readings, I'd like to see what happens if I drive with the OBD in the car (I've even bought Mitsubishi-specific codecs to use in torque app) so I'm committed to see just what hell y'all are experiencing with the OBD as I am super intrigued now.

Lastly, the AC fuse I just want to pull just for the sake of "why did I have a code for that", and "will it help with MPGs if auto climate is ON?"

But I imagine all of this experimenting will help pass the time through some of this pandemic. Maybe I'll stay occupied during my social distancing.

If anything changes I'll keep y'all updated, and I thank you for your feedback. Hopefully everyone is staying safe, we will get through this together!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jhelinski For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-23-2020),Eggman (04-22-2020)

What ac code are you talking about? Most of us seem to be staying safe. Except that one guy tooling around with zero shats given lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for keeping us updated. And for not going out & about. Looking forward to further updates.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20200423_130014.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  20200423_125759.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  96.9 KB
    Well, turns out I might not have an end to this story...