Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: No response to gas pedal (Update/solved: used CVT replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What inuvik said... plus there’s another connector under the driver seat I’ve had corrosion at too. It looked like a capped off connector.

I read your original post again and now it sounds similar to a Nissan NV200 the dealer and I struggled with. Driver was driving down the highway and out of the blue had no throttle response. They just pulled over turned it off and restarted then carried on. I did get a stored code for throttle position I believe? Took it to the dealer, they couldn’t get it to act up. A week later it did it again, took to dealer they changed the throttle body. Was running good for exactly a year, then exact same problem re appeared. Becoming more frequent everyday, took to dealer and they kept it for a month or two. In the end they replaced the entire wiring harness from the throttle body to the ecm.

It wouldn’t hurt to take a peek at the throttle Body connector. It’s weird that it will only rev when it’s not in gear. More so that you aren’t getting a code.
    Thank you, I so appreciate your & everyone's time!

I will take a look at electrical connections, especially throttle body connector. Something like this makes more sense in my mind than the transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Sorry Cwick I misread some of your original posting. That sounds like a separate stalling issue, not sure though. Engine cut out like that, but your ignition was not turned off at all obviously eh.. Best of luck again!
    No worries, and thank you! I appreciate everyone's input!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cwick For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    When a drive-by-wire car doesn't receive a valid throttle position signal, the car loses its mind because it doesn't know what to do with the throttle input. I've experienced this once on a different car...but it threw a TPS code immediately. It was crazy because I was cruising along at 70mph and all of the sudden the car started losing RPMS and ignored any throttle input. The ultimate fix on that vehicle was to replace the throttle body because the TPS sensors (there were 2 of them) were built into the throttle body and it had to be replaced as an assembly.

I'm not saying that's what is going on here. I'm just throwing it out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could be the gas pedal too. There are 2 sensors(at least) in it too. On drive by wire gm's I've seen...
    Funny...the car I was mentioning was a GM product.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    When a drive-by-wire car doesn't receive a valid throttle position signal, the car loses its mind because it doesn't know what to do with the throttle input. I've experienced this once on a different car...but it threw a TPS code immediately. It was crazy because I was cruising along at 70mph and all of the sudden the car started losing RPMS and ignored any throttle input. The ultimate fix on that vehicle was to replace the throttle body because the TPS sensors (there were 2 of them) were built into the throttle body and it had to be replaced as an assembly.

I'm not saying that's what is going on here. I'm just throwing it out there.
    This is along the lines of what I'm thinking also. From what I can find online, there appears to be a sensor in the gas pedal assembly. Not sure if it's considered a tps, however, I think it may serve a similar function. Local car parts store had one for $700....yikes! Just ordered a used one on ebay for $35 that came from a 2015 mirage donor with 14k miles on it. Figured for that price, it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll check into replacing the throttle body.

Now my question is, will I need to reprogram anything with this new pedal assembly & what that entails if so? From ebay item description: "some pedals may have to be reprogramed with your specific vehicle."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could be the gas pedal too. There are 2 sensors(at least) in it too. On drive by wire gm's I've seen the throttle body, gas pedal and throttle control module all have issues on random junk over the years.
    Lol, just saw this after my last reply

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would hate to see you start throwing parts at this. That could get expensive for you and might make your problems even worse.

Do you think you could get this condition to a point where the dealer could easily duplicate it? I'm sure if they had a scanner hooked up to your car while this is happening, they would (hopefully) be able to pinpoint the problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I would hate to see you start throwing parts at this. That could get expensive for you and might make your problems even worse.

Do you think you could get this condition to a point where the dealer could easily duplicate it? I'm sure if they had a scanner hooked up to your car while this is happening, they would (hopefully) be able to pinpoint the problem.
    Taking a car to the dealer that isn't covered under warranty could end up costing way more than just throwing a few cheap and easy parts at it and hope they stick. I do agree that ideally you'd pinpoint the exact problem first though. It sure is nice having tons of spare parts laying around for these cars even though I really haven't needed to use much of it.

Do you have any type of scan tool or monitor so you can watch your tpms voltages and/or percentage of requested throttle vs actual?
    I had considered taking it back to the dealer, but they charge $125 just for diagnostics. Which if a $700 gas pedal was my only option, the dealer it would have been. Lol

I have a cheap obdII scan tool, but not sure what it can read. I'll have to look into it, and if it can't tell me what I need to know, it'll be a good excuse to invest in a more advanced one! Do you know if there is one that will "program" the new pedal sensor? Or would something like that have to be done by the dealership or mechanic? Or do you think it's even going to need programmed since it's coming from another 2015 mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only way I would take it to the dealer is if they can easily duplicate the condition. If they can't, then keep driving it until they can. I have a good Mitsubishi-only tech at my local dealer that I trust. Most people don't trust their dealership service department (usually for a good reason...lol).

At a minimum I would download the free Mirage service manual and see what you can learn about some of these sensors and how to test them. There may be some simple multi-meter tests you can do before you start throwing parts at it.

I don't have much experience with the drive-by-wire stuff. When I put a new drive-by-wire throttle body on my GM car, it didn't know how to idle. It idled at 2000 RPMs after I installed it. The fix for that was a dealer-only programming. Fortunately my car was a manual trans, and there was a clutch-slipping trick you could use to force the car to learn the proper idle over a period of a few days. So that's what I did.

If you do end up having to program something in your Mirage computer, you are going to be in a tough spot. A decent scan tool is going to set you back several hundred dollars (or more)...and it may not even do what you want because...well...Mitsubishi stuff can be a pain in the azz to work with in some cases.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cwick (04-08-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Just about any cheapo OBD tester should show how much acceleration request the pushed pedal monentarily demands. You could use that for checking its function.
    The gas pedal unit on my European model is made by Bosch, so there should be many alternative sources for it. Just take a good look and read the Bosch number, and look for that number on the net. Save a lot of $$$! On the other hand, these parts are probably the most long-lasting on any car, improbable to expect them to break.

The service manual says in 17-4 to use the MUT tool for testing the pedal, something that only Mitsubishi workshops have. The procedure is on 17-5.
    NB: It also says never to remove the top cover, because light falling into the insides will cause it to malfunction.
    It does have the top cover on???

Name:  pedal check.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  75.6 KB

Last edited by foama; 04-08-2020 at 05:40 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Cwick (04-08-2020),MetroMPG (04-09-2020)