Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: No response to gas pedal (Update/solved: used CVT replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    In N and P, after the initial delay, does the engine rev up quickly (normally), or does it also seem slow to build up revs? If slow, that might point to throttle potentiometer or throttle position sensor as well.

I've driven a manual car with a bad TPS and it acted similarly to your description.

The fact that it goes away when you re-start it sure points to an electrical part.
    Yes, once past that initial delay, it seems to rev normally. Then when I put it back into gear, no response at all to gas pedal, unless I shut car off and start it again.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Did you check your cvt fluid? Is it black or smells really burnt?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-09-2020)

Yes - OP said it's amber.

(Dirk - it's almost like you WANT it to be the CVT! What's up with that?)

New rule! People have to read the whole thread before trying to help.

That disqualifies me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I saw they did recall work but not the one with the corroded connector... so that's where I would check. Also, find a buddy with a decent scan tool that can read throttle position and accelerator pedal position and you'll see pretty quick if your go pedal is defective.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I saw they did recall work but not the one with the corroded connector... so that's where I would check. Also, find a buddy with a decent scan tool that can read throttle position and accelerator pedal position and you'll see pretty quick if your go pedal is defective. Too bad you're like 4 and a half hours away from me or I'd check it for you but gas ain't free (although it's cheap) and 9 hours of driving would not be fun lol.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts

That disqualifies me.
    The sound of that makes my brain hurt!

Where do we sign up for disqualified from the new rule list?

Personally, I find some enjoyment in reading things way off topic in some threads!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    WHAT?!?! No!

How about mixing up one thread with another and threadjacking? I hope that's still ok.

Gratuitous on-topic blabbering: Most any OBD-II scanner should be able to read and display throttle position, as has been mentioned. My cheapie does, yours can too.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-09-2020 at 09:35 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Did you check your cvt fluid? Is it black or smells really burnt?
    Sounds like a Spinal Tap reference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwick View Post
    Thanks to many of the posts, my plan has been to do the things foama listed, I just haven't had the opportunity yet. Hoping I will have some time tonight.

I purchased a used gas pedal for $31.60 (includes shipping) on ebay that will be here Monday. This came from a same year mirage with 14k miles on it that had mild rear body damage. I'm not one that likes to chase a problem down a rabbit hole, but it was available, and at that price (autozone had non oem one for $742.99), I felt it was worth a chance. Between my research & what some have posted on here, it's at least possible it could be the culprit. If not, I can return it, minus shipping, or resell it on ebay.

If problem still persists, I will weigh my options, with one of them being to take it somewhere to see if they can diagnose. I may look into some local mechanics, as I'd prefer not going back to the dealership. When I spoke with their service department yesterday to ask what exactly they did for the recall, I asked if a new gas pedal would require any reprogramming, and how much it would cost if so. They said it wouldn't need to be done. I mentioned something about even with the sensor? They said there is no sensor in the pedal. I said, ok, well not in the pedal, but in the pedal assembly. They said not that I know of..... ?????

There's no question, I trust the recommendations & information from the people on this forum FAR more than the dealership..... so thank you to all!!!

Yes, it's probably either a potentiometer or encoder. Optical encoders are used a lot nowadays. I believe they also use Hall effect sensors in those sometimes. Need to see one apart to tell what it is. Fummins, you got one you can take apart?

Yes and no. I’m sure I have one or two in a crate somewhere. I won’t be able to look til maybe next Thursday. Things are crazy and lots of lay off everywhere I look, but I’ve got lots of jobs to get done. Now’s probably not a good time to ask for a bigger shop and third hoist lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)