Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: No response to gas pedal (Update/solved: used CVT replacement)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sounds like a Spinal Tap reference.
    But the dial goes up to 11?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwick View Post
    Thanks to many of the posts, my plan has been to do the things foama listed, I just haven't had the opportunity yet. Hoping I will have some time tonight.

I purchased a used gas pedal for $31.60 (includes shipping) on ebay that will be here Monday. This came from a same year mirage with 14k miles on it that had mild rear body damage. I'm not one that likes to chase a problem down a rabbit hole, but it was available, and at that price (autozone had non oem one for $742.99), I felt it was worth a chance. Between my research & what some have posted on here, it's at least possible it could be the culprit. If not, I can return it, minus shipping, or resell it on ebay.

If problem still persists, I will weigh my options, with one of them being to take it somewhere to see if they can diagnose. I may look into some local mechanics, as I'd prefer not going back to the dealership. When I spoke with their service department yesterday to ask what exactly they did for the recall, I asked if a new gas pedal would require any reprogramming, and how much it would cost if so. They said it wouldn't need to be done. I mentioned something about even with the sensor? They said there is no sensor in the pedal. I said, ok, well not in the pedal, but in the pedal assembly. They said not that I know of..... ?????

There's no question, I trust the recommendations & information from the people on this forum FAR more than the dealership..... so thank you to all!!!
    Here's another recommandation, dont strap 2 queen size mattresses on the top of your Mirage, like a hillbilly lol. These cars cannot tow anything with wrecking your CVT! lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Here's another recommandation, dont strap 2 queen size mattresses on the top of your Mirage, like a hillbilly lol. These cars cannot tow anything with wrecking your CVT! lol
    Lol! I'm surprised you didn't say anything about the banjo there in the front seat! 🤣

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cwick For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Update:

Good news / bad news......

Good news: If you ever need to replace your accelerator pedal or throttle body, they are simple jobs.

Bad news: Neither of these fixed my issue. I just got it back from a local mechanic that gave me the news I was hoping not to hear.... it's the CVT. When I dropped it off, it was still behaving how I had described on here. Not sure what they did, but when I picked it up they had gotten the CEL to come on (P0796), the gear indicator was flashing, it was chugging really bad and would't go any faster then about 10 mph! lol

They quoted $1800 to replace with a used CVT with 4K miles, which I didn't think was too bad. I did find a local one, same year as mine, with just under 20k miles.... and install myself. Or there are some less expensive ones on ebay with fewer miles. Still thinking it over.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cwick For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-15-2020),MetroMPG (05-14-2020),Top_Fuel (05-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The local one was $700

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwick View Post
    Good news / bad news......

Good news: If you ever need to replace your accelerator pedal or throttle body, they are simple jobs.

Bad news: Neither of these fixed my issue. I just got it back from a local mechanic that gave me the news I was hoping not to hear.... it's the CVT. When I dropped it off, it was still behaving how I had described on here. Not sure what they did, but when I picked it up they had gotten the CEL to come on (P0796), the gear indicator was flashing, it was chugging really bad and would't go any faster then about 10 mph! lol

They quoted $1800 to replace with a used CVT with 4K miles, which I didn't think was too bad. I did find a local one, same year as mine, with just under 20k miles.... and install myself. Or there are some less expensive ones on ebay with fewer miles. Still thinking it over.
    Depends on how much the car owes you, if I were in your shoes. So, I owe 2600 bucks still on my Mirage's 84 month payment plan, with 2.99% financing, back in 2014. So, I would debate it, but that would mean $4300 bucks total my 2014 Mirage would owe me, plus labour getting the tranny in. With that money I'd get the pros unless you are pro or like my Dad and did it a bunch of times with cars.

Best of luck. I have had my Mirage 6.5 years now. So change in car might be sooner than I thought, but I will keep my Mirage even if I upgrade. I'm just too tall and my Mirage is small.

2020 Hyundai Venue is one of the few manuals you can buy new. Comes with a bunch of standard equipment too.

Used car market they say manual cars are hard to sell. I find them just way more of a blast to drive. So if I buy another new car, I will go manual again as I like it, and I think they might not bunk up like automatics. Again what I have heard, and something to consider. Cheers!
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-14-2020 at 08:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Thanks for posting the update.

Hopefully Fummins will chime in on this. I'm not sure if you can swap in a new/used CVT in a Mirage without a decent scan tool to do some relearn/update process.

You're in a bit of a pickle. A 5 year old Mirage with 140,000 miles probably isn't worth an $1800 transmission. Maybe the $700 do-it-yourself option is looking better...
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-14-2020 at 08:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Cwick , thanks for the update. Too bad it wasn't the easy option.

Keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    $1800 for a barely used cvt, if that's including labor ain't bad. Especially if you get another 140k miles out of it. But still that's discouraging yours failed at 140k. Did you do all the preventative measures?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, mine will be paid off this month. lol

I agree that if I could get another 140k miles, $1800 doesn't sound too bad, although the timing chain will probably crap out a month after.

I'm definitely not a pro, but have done a few semi-larger car projects; head gaskets on 2 subarus and a clutch on one of them. Also several smaller projects; brakes, wheel bearings, tie rods, etc. The thing with the larger jobs is I had a Haynes repair manual and some very detailed videos to watch. I've been looking over the Mirage service manual, but for me, it's just not the same.

Main questions I've been thinking about so far:

1: Once I get it separated from the engine, can I get it out without removing subframe?
    2: Will I need to support the engine from underneath?
    3: As top fuel mentioned, is there a reprogram/relearn process that requires a specialized scan tool?
    4: Will everything come with the "new" used cvt, or will I need to get anything else..... bearing, etc?

Any and all tips, tricks and guidance for this job is MUCH appreciated!!!