Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: No response to gas pedal (Update/solved: used CVT replacement)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Your going to do this yourself? You got alot of experience doing this? I'd be careful brother $1800 is a good price for everything included and another 140k miles. Did the shop offer a warranty? If they did that's a piece of mind. I definitely recommend doing the cvt servicing at 30 to 40k mile intervals this second time around. Good luck though, that would rock if you can pull it off on your own. CVT brotherhood forever!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwick View Post
    One of my son's roommates is a mechanic and specifically works on transmissions at his shop. I sent the code it was throwing to him and he said "Jatco cvt's are non-repairable units" and he hadn't heard of any shops willing to attempt it.
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but here's our thread for the Jatco CVT7. Be sure to look for repair info.

Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cwick (05-17-2020)

They’re pretty straight forward to replace. Just like an automatic. And just like an automatic, make sure the torque convertor is Seated properly. I had to break the news to my brother in law that him and his buddy’s broke the pump on his transmission they tried to replace themselves lol.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cwick (05-17-2020),Top_Fuel (05-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your going to do this yourself? You got alot of experience doing this? I'd be careful brother $1800 is a good price for everything included and another 140k miles. Did the shop offer a warranty? If they did that's a piece of mind. I definitely recommend doing the cvt servicing at 30 to 40k mile intervals this second time around. Good luck though, that would rock if you can pull it off on your own. CVT brotherhood forever!!!
    I was telling my dad what I was doing, and he said I had more guts than him. I said sometimes there's a fine line between guts and stupidity...... guess we will see which it is. lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    What? No updates?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What? No updates?
    Picking up new (used) cvt tomorrow after work. Old one is pretty much ready to drop out. Will probably do the swap Friday or Saturday.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cwick For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-21-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwick View Post
    Picking up new (used) cvt tomorrow after work. Old one is pretty much ready to drop out. Will probably do the swap Friday or Saturday.
    How'd it go?

What happens to people who try to change their own cvt's? Tyrel went mia about a year or so ago after he was looking for a used one. They are heavier than they look, don't try to use your head as a transmission jack. It'll pop like a grape.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I remember the comment you made earlier about making sure to seat the torque converter properly. That can trip someone up in a hurry. If you screw it up you won't know it until after the trans is installed in the car and you try to take it for a drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Good point.
    The next thing you know you're on the phone with your insurance company trying to explain how the car just burnt to the ground out of the blue.

I goofed up on the first transmission I replaced. It was a c6 in a 70' f100. Didn't have the torque in all the way, couldn't get bellhousing to sit straight against the block. Figured the dowel pins were just crusty and just kept cranking on the bolts til a chunk of the bellhousing landed on the floor. I called a few people smarter than myself and they said I probably screwed the pump. Pulled it back out, made sure the torque converter was seated all the way then installed it and it worked.

I've also replaced a few transmission where I go to bolt up a bellhousing and not notice that the alignment/dowel pins from the old transmission stayed in the block and the new transmission had them in the bellhousing. This happened in a Mirage I'm sure.

Mirage videos: