Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something Positive during COVID-19 - Auto Insurance refunds

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts

Something Positive during COVID-19 - Auto Insurance refunds

I was going to make a post in reference to something positive amongst the complaints of others being frustrated with Mitsubishi service departments across the country.

Thought starting a new thread might be better instead. Numerous articles are starting to appear like the one below. Since people aren't driving, car insurance companies are offering refunds on policies. Allstate for example, may refund $600 million. Some others are doing likewise.

Nice gesture that I wouldn't have predicted myself.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ms/2959870001/

If you get a refund, please share on this thread or just share your thoughts on this matter.

Are some people changing their auto policies during this crisis, & this a reaction to that. Who knows?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With Geico they only give you a 15% credit when your policy renews and it is only for two months. If you are on the pay once plan this means you likely wont get the credit for months (keep in mind this requires staying with Geico and requires you paying for the rest of your renewal). For me it only ends up being around $15 and I wont see it until June. 15% seems pretty low if I am not driving at all. Can't put it in 'storage' if you don't have a garage. Better than nothing I guess. More excited for the $1200.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 04-08-2020 at 07:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My insurance went up on its own this past auto-renewal, $20 bucks a month more is being wtihdrawn from my account, no idea why.

I called my insurance company about it, and nobody is manning the phones right now.

I have had no tickets or, or insurance claims on my house, this year or any year previous. I have talked around to people, and I pay a lot for insuring a 2014 Mirage with 0 claims and a perfect driving record 20 years January. So I plan on shopping for new insurance once this corona virus thing is over.

Sorry to be negative Mark. I am loving the 20 c weather in southern Ontario today, washing my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

thegrimpeeper (04-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    With Geico they only give you a 15% credit when your policy renews. If you are on the pay once plan this means you likely wont get the credit for months (keep in mind this requires staying with Geico and requires you paying for the rest of your renewal). For me it only ends up being around $40 and I wont see it until June. 15% seems pretty low if I am not driving at all. Can't put it in 'storage' if you don't have a garage. Better than nothing I guess. More excited for the $1200.
    Sounds like the article may have inflated the facts some then?

If someone doesn't have a lien on their vehicle, you have other options. Certain coverages can be dropped. Those are personal decisions, however.

My favorite daily drivers are paid off older cars. I just carry liability. I was rear ended with only liability in 2013. I still received a $5,900 check for my 2000 Honda CRV with 154,000 miles on it from American Family Insurance (policy of the person who rear ended me). The person who rear ended me was not reimbursed for his very old Chevy Tahoe, because he only had liability on it. He was out some money for his old rig, but it covered my 13 year old vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My insurance went up on its own this past auto-renewal, $20 bucks a month more is being wtihdrawn from my account, no idea why.

I called my insurance company about it, and nobody is manning the phones right now.

I have had no tickets or, or insurance claims on my house, this year or any year previous. I have talked around to people, and I pay a lot for insuring a 2014 Mirage with 0 claims and a perfect driving record 20 years January. So I plan on shopping for new insurance once this corona virus thing is over.

Sorry to be negative Mark. I am loving the 20 c weather in southern Ontario today, washing my Mirage.
    No apology necessary. I switched insurance companies when I bought my Mirage, but I have a combined homeowner's and two vehicle policy. The switch was driven by the savings on my homeowner's policy more than the vehicles, however.

It pays to shop around, and the insurance for Mirage does seem high to me, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-08-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Allstate gave me $5. Thanks. Of course they know I do rideshare so that might affect the situation.

I just cancelled my insurance. My plate is still valid

Ha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sounds like the article may have inflated the facts some then?
    Says in the article "Geico said auto and motorcycle policyholders will receive a 15% credit." Not sure why they also decided to call it money back and leave out the details.

As it is now all I have is liability so not much lowering I can do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just cancelled my insurance. My plate is still valid
    A very good friend of mine is a retired sheriff deputy, but now works city part-time. Thus, he is given road duty mostly.

Not having proof of insurance is probably the fine he gives out more than anything. I believe it's a couple hundred dollars in Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A very good friend of mine is a retired sheriff deputy, but now works city part-time. Thus, he is given road duty mostly.

Not having proof of insurance is probably the fine he gives out more than anything. I believe it's a couple hundred dollars in Wisconsin.
    That's crazy! I have proof of insurance valid for another year. The fine here is around $2000-2500 for the first offence iirc around these parts and goes up from there.
    I always have my junk insured. now. I had an issue "using" a dealer/shop plate years ago. My truck got towed and impounded, that cost a few hundred bucks and I had to pay a lawyer $500 to get it handled in court. Good times!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)