Thread: Personal best MPG / fuel economy

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Personal best MPG / fuel economy

Name:  IMG_20200409_113618127_HDR.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  76.1 KB

Normally I get about 40-44 on this drive doing 5 over the speed limit. On this sunny, 60 degree day I decided to hang out with the semi's in the slow lane and hypermiled a bit. I hit this number after driving from Vancouver WA to Salem OR mostly on I5. After my delivery route (stop/start, idling) and drive back home, I was at 43.6 for the day. The next day I drove the speed limit (vs 5 under the day before) and got 47.7, and after my delivery route and drive home, including some errands, I was at 38-but I was doing some spirited driving too. And still, 38? Heck yeah. Nearing 22,000 miles (had 39 miles in Aug of 19) and seeing repeatedly consistent MPG. I also just had 4 Vredestein Quatrac tires put on a couple weeks ago, that seems to possibly help the MPG? Not sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-12-2020),Loren (04-11-2020),MetroMPG (04-14-2020),Top_Fuel (04-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    ...I decided to hang out with the semi's in the slow lane...
    If you want to consistently net 50+ mpg on the freeway, you definitely can't do it out in the left lane going 75mph! I spend a lot of time in the right lane with trucks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I was interested in this, as I'm doing a lot of interstate driving on the express lanes. Usually at 80-90mph (anything slower would just drive me nuts).
    I was wondering what kind of mpg it would get.
    My Fiesta St gets 31.5MPG avg, and about 28-30 mpg at 80-85MPH.

you think a mirage will do better?

Volkswagen up is another contender... Too bad it's not out in USA yet.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I also just had 4 Vredestein Quatrac tires put on a couple weeks ago, that seems to possibly help the MPG? Not sure.
    That is my experience too. I had Quatracs installed in September, which replace my stock tires which were supposed to be LRR tires, and the Quatracs seem to be better, although it's hard to compare. We didn't have a 19/20 winter, while the 18/19 winter was more substantial.

@ProDigit: It's hard to predict what the mileage would be for you. Apart from speed driving behavior also has big impact. Having said that, it's hard to imagine a Mirage would not do better than a Fiesta.
    Here you can find some charts about speed vs mileage. The charts don't cover 90 miles, but some cautious extrapolating gives 35mpg at 80, and 32 at 90.
    A new Mirage might do a bit better, as the 2017 facelift has a bit better aerodynamics, which has most impact on high speeds.

If you insist on driving 80-90, you should have a test drive before considering a Mirage. It's not intended for that speed (although it can, top speed is around 105), and handling might be disappointing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

... I also just had 4 Vredestein Quatrac tires put on a couple weeks ago, that seems to possibly help the MPG? Not sure.
    If you want really low rolling resistance summer tyres, you could look at Continental EcoContact5. They have the lowest rolling resistance class of all, and also last longest. Unfortutately they are in the higher-priced range, and I don't know if they are available in the Americas. I typically get 50-60000km out of one set when driven to the legal tread limit at 45psi and rotated every oil change.
    Last edited by foama; 04-12-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I also just had 4 Vredestein Quatrac tires put on a couple weeks ago, that seems to possibly help the MPG? Not sure.
    The Vredestein Quatrac is an "all-weather" tire? So one of those winter tires you keep on all summer, and it's fine? The reviews for Vredestein are great. Also want to look into the Continential EcoContact 5 foama mentions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If you want really low rolling resistance summer tyres, you could look at Continental EcoContact5. They have the lowest rolling resistance class of all, and also last longest. Unfortutately they are in the higher-priced range, and I don't know if they are available in the Americas. I typically get 50-60000km out of one set when driven to the legal tread limit at 45psi and rotated every oil change.
    Not available stateside in our size. Maybe one day, I hope.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I do delivery with my G4 year 'round, and the Vredestein's have great reviews for such. It was rainy for the next few days after install, they were great. I've since been out in the country on gravel roads, again great. Cornering grip? Great. Highway ride is fine, noise level is fine, noticeable but not horrible. They feel grippier for acceleration and braking than I remember the stock being when they are new. And with at least maintained, if not improved MPG...I think these tires are a great deal!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you want to consistently net 50+ mpg on the freeway, you definitely can't do it out in the left lane going 75mph! I spend a lot of time in the right lane with trucks.
    All of my 25+ driving years I've been zooming along in the right lane. In my G4, I still get really good MPG for 'right lane speeds'. But it was pretty relaxing hanging out, going slower, also knowing I was saving some money in MPG. No cop worries, needing to change lanes for speeders, etc. I think I'm going to be doing it more often.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    ...doing a lot of interstate driving
    ...Usually at 80-90mph
    ...wondering what kind of mpg it would get.
    The Mirage gets great fuel mileage under the right conditions. I don't know what it would get driving 80-90mph with the air conditioning on. This car doesn't like high speeds or running the AC. In Miami, it sounds like you would be doing both a lot of the time! I think 80mph in a manual transmission Mirage is around 4300 RPMs. 90 mph?!? I can't even imagine driving a Mirage 90 mph on the stock tires and suspension.

This may be one of those situations where a car with more horsepower may actually get better fuel economy for you because the engine isn't working so hard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)