Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MPG while cruising without hurry

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Who said 70 psi? I can't find it.
    MetroMPGs test shows 70psi

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    MetroMPGs test shows 70psi
    Keeping tires exactly at recommended psi is a challenge.

For me, I consider a range that is between the recommended psi from the manufacturer (35 psi) and the maximum stamped on the side of the tire (44 psi). I rather have a little extra air in my tire than run them to low. The soft suspension of a Mirage does't warrant the need of a soft tire in my opinion either. I don't like tires that look flat either!

If the psi range is 35 to 44. I tend to fill my tires around 40 psi. I figure temperatures in Wisconsin can & do fluctuate any time of the year. Since I have an air compressor at home. I always check my tires in the morning or late night when they are cold. Some days they may be slightly below 40 psi starting out, & on hot days I may be slightly above 40 psi. I am not OCD enough to worry about it any more than that.

My Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires (looked at the sidewalls in the garage today) have a maximum 47 psi pressure rating. They sort of have an extra guide on the side. From my interpretation of their guide, they are recommending tire pressures of 32 to 44 psi can be used. They actually have 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 44 stamped on the sidewall. I tend to pump them up to 43-44 psi. They are also one of the better LRR snow tires on the market. I didn't know that when I bought them. I bought them, because they come in a 165/65-14 size studded or non-studded.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-15-2020 at 03:59 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    These cars are crazy good on fuel if you don't drive like an idiot.
    Aside from excellent EcoContact5 LRR tyres at max sidewall-stated pressure (3.0 bar / 45psi) and a well maintained car but unfortunately very bad, in fact really rotten compression (150psi) due to an idiot Mitsubishi mechanic, the car in the first post is completely normal.

Talking about not driving like an idiot:

It pays to fine adjust the nut behind the wheel!

@ Mark: The Nokian Nordman 7 are probably the best winter tyres available in Europe. In Norway they can be studded, in just about all other European States studs are prohibited.
    Last edited by foama; 04-15-2020 at 08:45 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

javensbukan (04-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just want to throw this in here again.

Find a set of new tires. Chalk test them.

At 40+ psi, you have VERY LITTLE REAR TIRE touching the road, and handling goes out the window in extreme situations.

The rear tires are not where the rolling resistance is lost as there is SO LITTLE WEIGHT ON THEM.

If you want to really overinflate, sure, run the fronts around 45 to 50, but keep the rears under 40. You aren't losing your sidewall deformation economy on the rear tires.

Your rear tires only support 370lb, your fronts support shy of 700. Airing them both to the same amount is foolish. Every other small car (Smart, Fiat, etc) has a 10-15% difference in tire pressures. The Fiat 500 is, if memory recalls, 36 front 32 rear.

Economy is great, but I also like having some traction. I find that important. I run my Mirage at 41-35, and the Micra at 38-33.

Source: Common sense approach to analyzing tire deformation by weight distribution.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Mark (04-16-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah... the Mirage needs all the help it can get in the rear with handling.

I'm hoping to order one of Doax's sway bars to hopefully make that less squishy and tippy.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Every other small car (Smart, Fiat, etc) has a 10-15% difference in tire pressures. The Fiat 500 is, if memory recalls, 36 front 32 rear.
    My rear engine Beetle runs 16 front & 25 in the rear tires. Trust me, with this car & rear swing axles, you definitely DO NOT want to over inflate the tires
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

I'm pretty sure our little fwd Nissan nv200's are 45 front and 48 rear. They run some odd high load range tire though.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    @ Mark: The Nokian Nordman 7 are probably the best winter tyres available in Europe. In Norway they can be studded, in just about all other European States studs are prohibited.
    The main two 165/65-14 size snow tires offered in the States are the Dunlop Winter Maxx (non-studded only) & the Nokian Nordman 7 (studded or non-studded). The non-studded Nordman 7 tires could still have studs added, because the hole for them are still there.

Ironically, studded tires are not allowed in Wisconsin or neighboring northern states. Winter/snow tires are not a requirement or law here either. I do wonder how some people get around with poor quality tires during the winter months?

I believe the Nordman 7 is Nokian's affordable snow tire that replaced their Nordman 5 tire. It's good to hear they are well received winter tires there. Nokian must have a tire plant in Russia, because mine were manufactured there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I just want to throw this in here again.

Find a set of new tires. Chalk test them.

At 40+ psi, you have VERY LITTLE REAR TIRE touching the road, and handling goes out the window in extreme situations.

The rear tires are not where the rolling resistance is lost as there is SO LITTLE WEIGHT ON THEM.

If you want to really overinflate, sure, run the fronts around 45 to 50, but keep the rears under 40. You aren't losing your sidewall deformation economy on the rear tires.

Your rear tires only support 370lb, your fronts support shy of 700. Airing them both to the same amount is foolish. Every other small car (Smart, Fiat, etc) has a 10-15% difference in tire pressures. The Fiat 500 is, if memory recalls, 36 front 32 rear.

Economy is great, but I also like having some traction. I find that important. I run my Mirage at 41-35, and the Micra at 38-33.

Source: Common sense approach to analyzing tire deformation by weight distribution.
    Fiat 500 recommended psi -

175/65-14 F-32 & R-32
    185/55-15 F-33 & R-33
    195/45-16 F-35 & R-33

https://www.carsguide.com.au/fiat/500/tyre-pressure

Just my opinion - Any Mirage sold in the United States should come with 175/65-14 or 185/55-15 tires (both 23" diameter & very common sizes to purchase).

I am not sharing this to argue Nickel's good points. Common sense - should apply here. The Mirages in the States have a recommended F-35 & R-35 psi. Compared to Fiat 500, those numbers are not that out of line. A small 2019 Fiat 500 does have a slightly higher curb weight than a Mirage or G4. I didn't realize that.

Look at this example - BMW I3

Front - 155/60-20 @ 33 psi
    Rear - 175/55-20 @ 41 psi
    Heavy battery packs may impact this?

Go from 2 people in the car to 4 people in the I3 an then it's
    F-36 psi
    R-44 psi
    If you pick up another couple on the way to somewhere, you better stop & get some air in those tires!

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i3/2014/...e-warning.html
    Last edited by Mark; 04-16-2020 at 02:23 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Look at this example - BMW I3

Front - 155/60-20 @ 33 psi
    Rear - 175/55-20 @ 41 psi
    Heavy battery packs may impact this?

Go from 2 people in the car to 4 people in the I3 an then it's
    F-36 psi
    R-44 psi
    If you pick up another couple on the way to somewhere, you better stop & get some air in those tires!
    Interesting - I didn't know this about the I3. It supports what nickles is saying about adjusting tire pressure to maintain a contact patch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)