Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPG while cruising without hurry

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

MPG while cruising without hurry

In the light of covid19 confinement and curfew, I went for a cruise with my wife in our 1.0l car. This is the same car an idiot mechanic worked on when it was so full of gum the valves wouldn't close and it failed to start any more. The Mitsubishi mechanic removed the head and "fixed" it under warranty, but compression afterwards has remained only between 150psi and about 160 on all three cylinders but thankfully it doesn't burn oil. No idea what that nitwit did.

We drove along the Rhine valley region which is a flat area and there was no wind and not much other traffic on the country roads.
    Here is a picture of the tach after about half an hour's drive. The MPG display was the same when we got home about one and a half hours later.
    3.5l/100km works out to be 67 MPG/US. Not bad for a car with only 150psi compression.

How do I drive? I avoid high speeds, take my foot off the gas approaching a red light or traffic jam, and otherwise drive as if I were barefoot and there being thumbtacks on the brake pedal. The car has 165/65r14 Continental EcoContact5 LRR tyres at maximum allowable pressure being 3.0 bar or roughly 45psi.

There are plenty of good driving hints on Metro's pages, and on Ecomodder, see:
    https://www.metrompg.com/posts/hyper...as-mileage.htm
    https://www.ecomodder.com/

Name:  tacho.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  qwer.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  33.3 KB

Last edited by foama; 04-15-2020 at 08:22 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-12-2020),MetroMPG (04-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Doing 55MPH for about 3 hours yesterday and the best I could get the gauge to read was about 51MPG
    This is with cruise control, 40PSI tires (not sure if this is helping or hurting), 1 passenger, light cargo, and never hitting the brakes in a CVT 1.2 with RPM at about 1.9K.
    Tires inflated to 40 psi helps improve fuel economy. I usually keep mine inflated higher.

Wind can have a big impact on fuel consumption. I've heard drafting can too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Nice going, foama.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Tires inflated to 40 psi helps improve fuel economy. I usually keep mine inflated higher.

Wind can have a big impact on fuel consumption. I've heard drafting can too.
    With the enasaves? I wouldn't go higher then the sidewall PSI. If you die you got no one to sue lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    With the enasaves? I wouldn't go higher then the sidewall PSI. If you die you got no one to sue lol.
    Yes, with Dunlop Enasaves. I've put 50 psi in them and liked it. The fuel economy was nice. No blowouts yet, sure hope this isn't a jinx haha.

And sure, it's not for everyone. It's just my report on my experience. If you are afraid of overpressurizing your tires, then by all means don't. I won't force you into it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In the garage I have a set of Enasaves in size 165/65R14, and the sidewall clearly states max 40psi for mounting. After considerable research I was told thats only for mounting, max on the vehicle when driving is 44psi.
    Why would I buy Enasaves? Because the entire set was taken off a brand new car that received all-weather tyres. The set of four "old" tyres cost me €50.- for all four, being about US $55.- thats why.

Name:  tyre.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  never exceed.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  29.6 KB
    Last edited by foama; 04-14-2020 at 04:22 PM.

That's a screaming good deal for Enasaves!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes, with Dunlop Enasaves. I've put 50 psi in them and liked it. The fuel economy was nice. No blowouts yet, sure hope this isn't a jinx haha.

And sure, it's not for everyone. It's just my report on my experience. If you are afraid of overpressurizing your tires, then by all means don't. I won't force you into it.
    Can you show us any data or research that proves over inflating tires beyond their maximum psi rating increases mpg?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In the light of covid19 confinement and curfew, I went for a cruise with my wife in our 1.0l car. This is the same car an idiot mechanic worked on when it was so full of gum the valves wouldn't close and it failed to start any more. The Mitsubishi mechanic removed the head and "fixed" it under warranty, but compression afterwards has remained only between 150psi and about 160 on all three cylinders but thankfully it doesn't burn oil. No idea what that nitwit did.

We drove along the Rhine valley region which is a flat area and there was no wind and not much other traffic on the country roads.
    Here is a picture of the tach after about half an hour's drive. The MPG display was the same when we got home about one and a half hours later.
    3.5l/100km works out to be 67 MPG/US. Not bad for a car with only 150psi compression.

How do I drive? I avoid high speeds, take my foot off the gas approaching a red light or traffic jam, and otherwise drive as if I were barefoot and there being thumbtacks on the brake pedal. The car has 165/65r14 Continental EcoContact5 LRR tyres at maximum allowable pressure.

There are plenty of good driving hints on Metro's pages, and on Ecomodder, see:
    https://www.metrompg.com/posts/hyper...as-mileage.htm
    https://www.ecomodder.com/

Name:  tacho.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  qwer.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  33.3 KB
    Oh wow, that's really good! Also, I'm very jealous of your 'Eco meter'!...we don't get that here nor do we get the option for AS&G.

Best I've ever gotten is about 3.8-3.9 L/100km driving from Upper Tantallon back into Halifax along the old twisty highway that's relatively flat, about a 50 Km round trip, with speeds from 50-80 Km/h.

No modifications aside from suggested tire pressure and driving the car prudently at or slightly above the speed limit, it's a 2014 Mirage DE (1.2L) with the CVT and Kumho Solus HA31 tires.

These cars are crazy good on fuel if you don't drive like an idiot.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 04-14-2020 at 07:00 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Can you show us any data or research that proves over inflating tires beyond their maximum psi rating increases mpg?
    It has been proven.

As I recall, it has to do with two things. 1. more pressure keeps the tire rounder, so that it's not constantly flexing the sidewalls and creating heat. (this is much of the principle of how LRR tires work) 2. you reach a point where you start crowning the tread and decreasing the contact patch.

It's not great for a lot of other things, but it absolutely increases MPG!

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ure-17151.html

Simplify and add lightness.